XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Seating Position Guide

Old 05-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts
Default Seating Position Guide

Does anyone have a link or guide they can post to getting an optimal seating position in the XK? I found the XJ to have better adjustments and also had a step by step guide on how to adjust the seat.

My issue in the XK so far is that the steering wheel does not come out far enough for me. I am not sure if I should set the height first of seat, length, steering wheel... My feet feel awkward if get put the seat height higher so I can move closer to the wheel. XJ had adjustable peddles which really helped. I know I can fine tune the position better.

The guide would be great for my girlfriend to get dialed into the correct position too (all jokes aside).

Old 05-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

You're asking the impossible question about ideal seat placement. It is because people have differing preferences and different body proportions.

I personally always favored the high seat position for road driving and one that puts me close enough to the steering wheel where my elbows are bent around 60 degrees. Such bent elbows allow me to keep both hands on the wheel at all times, even when negotiating tight turns.

On the other hand, when cruising on the freeway long distances, my legs may tire of the position and in that case I move the seat back some to allow straighter leg positions. I actually consider my XK's seat vs. steering wheel placement good.

In a funny way, we used to say that what the Italians considered ideal was actually for gorillas, requiring short legs and ridiculously long arms. I could never get comfortable in some of their cars. I badly wanted to buy a Countach but, after repeated tries I finally realized that it was built for gorillas and I wasn't one. I had to have my arms straight ahead to the wheel and at the same time my knees were darn near touching my ears :-)

Albert

Old 05-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I should say the order in which seat adjustment should be done. Should I do height 1st, or distance first. As you mentioned, I am adjusting my seat based on the kind of driving I am doing. In the Italian cars, most steer from 4 and 8 positions, so the steering wheel is a little closer. My feet are what is tiring, and if I get the feet right, the steering wheel is too far away. I think it's the height adjustment which is working against me. I am 5' 9", so not the tallest of chaps. I don't like the bottom cushion angled back; it puts pressure on my lower back, so I like to have it as flat as possible.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I am 5'10"...I find that if I place my left foot flat against the left side area in the floor (don't know how else to describe it; my foot isn't on the floorboard itself) and adjust my seat so that my leg is almost straight/normal bend from my seat, the distance is just right for my right foot in relation to the gas and brake. My seat height is raised a couple inches, such that when I turn my head to the left and look out the drivers window the top of my head is just slightly below the point where the window intersects with the horizontal pillar. I don't like a steep incline from the frot of the lower part of the seat to the lower part of the backrest. I then bring the steering wheel out and down so that when i look down the underside of the top of the wheel is just above the display area. This allows me to rest my elbow on the top of the door and control the wheel with my left hand for cruising. I also do not like the back of the seat to be to far back; I adjust it to a comfortable tilt.

As Albert said it's gonna be what makes you the most comfortable, but unlike you the steering wheel comes out plenty far for me...I have it quite a ways out. All of that is my position #1...I have position number 3 set so that the steering wheel is all the way in and up and the seat is as far back as possible so that I do not rub the left side bolster when I get out. That area seems to wear alot for some people.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

mosesbotbol, I sympathise. Many cars seem to come up short on steering wheel travel for me, too. I think I am the exact reverse of the "standard Italian ape" as Autocar magazine used to call it as I have long legs and short arms. Just call me T-rex. Years ago I stepped into an Alfasud Veloce in the UK, fiddled with the seat and the wheel and then climbed out without turning the key. The salesman was baffled. I had a repeat of this effect with a Lexus IS 300 about six years ago. I have managed to come up with a compromise in my XKR, but another inch or two of telescope and it would be golden.

rscultho: good dodge with setting position 3 as you do. I will give that a try.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

My lower back needs care also, and it took several seat adjustments to find a position that worked for me. I eventually found I had to have the seat cushion flatter and higher so my thighs were supported. Having the seat slid back and the seat back tilted forward also created back issues so now I have the seat slightly forward, but not so far that my legs bend and lift my thighs off the seat. I'd say the seat back is at a normal angle, and with the lumbar area giving support without the adj. bladder being too hard.

I was then able to adjust the wheel to a comfortable position with my wrists able to sit on the top of the steering wheel without pulling my shoulders away from the seat back. That's a recommended distance guideline for ideal control with 10 and 2 hand positions on the wheel. From there you just need to figure out what to do with your arms when not driving at 10 and 2. Oh, and I'm 5'10"... maybe a little taller when there's women present

Bruce