XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Service Required

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 11:44 PM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Service Required

Okay, I feel really stupid that I can't figure this out. I bought my CPO 2012 XK coupe about 7 months and 5000 miles ago. I was starting to wonder about what the maintenance schedule was for this car, and lo and behold a message now comes up that says "Service Required" (or something like that) on the message center. The car now has almost 27000 miles.

I paged through the entire owners manual and found NOTHING about service intervals. The only thing I can find is a document from the dealer titled "Introduction to Parts and Service" that has their hours and location, and then at the very bottom says "IMPORTANT: Jaguar and Land Rover requirements for service intervals are: Every 15,000 +/- 1,000 miles, OR when the maintenance warning light stays on." Well, the message doesn't stay on. It comes on for a bit when I start the car and then goes away. So I'm not sure if this is the same thing.

I have the CARFAX that the dealer gave me, and there is an entry at 11771 miles that says "Maintenance inspection completed". I'm guessing this included an oil change, but of course I can't be positive because I wasn't there. But this fits with the service message coming up recently (11771 + 15000 = 26771).

So, is the official service interval for these cars every 15000 miles? Why is information on scheduled maintenance so difficult to find?

Old 05-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Typically . . .

Typically the "service message" is reminding you to get an oil change or some other maintenance item. It is miles determined since the last "service" where the "reset button" was hit. Oil changes are listed as 10,000 miles, though I've seen some at 15,000, but yearly at a minimum in my opinion no matter the miles.

The maintenance schedule is hard to find but can be located through some threads here or on TOPIX. A "Maintenance Inspection" may or may not include an oil change. It, "Maintenance Inspection" is what a dealership will do to look at the overall condition of your vehicle when it is in the shop (some say to offer preventive maintenance, others say to sell additional products/services, you decide after a number of visits). If you bring your vehicle in for something, the Tech will always do the "Maintenance Inspection" whether it relates to the problem you brought it in for or not.

One last piece of advice, "guessing" with a Jaguar can end up costing a lot of $$$$$ or your life, depending on how you drive. So use this forum wisely grasshopper.

And welcome aboard, it's going to be a great ride.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

It's triggered by time or miles, whichever comes first. You'll always get it every 12 months, but if you do more than (I think) 15k miles before the 12 months is up, you start to get the warning. It begins about 2000 miles before the limit is reached.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my 2010 XKR for over two years and no message so far for me.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mgaffney
I've had my 2010 XKR for over two years and no message so far for me.
Have you had it serviced? The counter will be reset by the technician doing the service.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:00 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Is it possible for us to reset the service light?

Old 05-31-2015, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yes; this is the procedure:

1. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch (before the ignition is on).
2. Press the start button without applying the foot brake (do not start the engine)
3. Release the rear fog lamp switch (1sec)
4. Press and hold the trip computer cycle switch (within 1sec).
5. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch. (within 1sec)
6. Continue to hold the trip computer and rear fog lamp switches.
7. The message centre should display "resetting service mode" and then "service mode reset"
8. Release the trip computer and the fog lamp switches and turn the ignition off.

I've never done this myself, and apparently the timing is very precise and easy to get wrong.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
ag986 (10-13-2015), GrtShrk (06-01-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 08:11 PM

Thanks, Ngarara - perfect.

With keywords from your procedure, I could also find it in the service workbook. Couldn't find it without your help.

Since I'm changing my own oil and other regular maintenance, I expect to be notified by my 2010 XK sometime in the near future.

Must say, on my GM car, one just scrolls to that key and presses reset.

Thanks for the extra special secret handshake procedure!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrair
Thanks, Ngarara - perfect.

With keywords from your procedure, I could also find it in the service workbook. Couldn't find it without your help.

Since I'm changing my own oil and other regular maintenance, I expect to be notified by my 2010 XK sometime in the near future.

Must say, on my GM car, one just scrolls to that key and presses reset.

Thanks for the extra special secret handshake procedure!
So, you do your own maintenance? Is the XK a difficult car to work on? I only drive about 2 or 3000 kilometers every year, so I wan't to do the oil and oil filter myself every year.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

30K service should be considered right now. I would include a brake fluid flush if not already on the list. Along with cabin filter replacement and air filter check.

I never went by the exact schedule, but my car was on a lift a few times a year and checked over the same things each time.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:00 PM

I did eventually find the schedule in TOPIX and see the brake fluid flush every 2 years. I wish I knew if it had been done already. No way to tell that I know of.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

A good method to determine the condition of the brake fluid is to look at the colour. If the fluid is not a light amber, or is dark, it needs to be changed with DOT4 fluid meeting Shell ESL specification.

The procedure is outlined in the Workshop Manual.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carealtor
I did eventually find the schedule in TOPIX and see the brake fluid flush every 2 years. I wish I knew if it had been done already. No way to tell that I know of.
Assume it hasn't. Consider installing Speedbleeders while you're at. Will make the next time a cinch. Lotus recommends annual brake fluid flushes...

Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by orange
So, you do your own maintenance? Is the XK a difficult car to work on? I only drive about 2 or 3000 kilometers every year, so I wan't to do the oil and oil filter myself every year.
Search* the forum for (1) changing oil and (2) the service manual (electronic pdf version is cheap and an immediate download), and (3) the recommended suction unit (I think ~$80). Piece of cake - you change the oil and filter (5.0L engine) from the top and there is no spill, mess, or fuss, and no ramps or crawling on your back!

*I'm remote and can't provide the links, sorry.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Assume it hasn't. Consider installing Speedbleeders while you're at. Will make the next time a cinch. Lotus recommends annual brake fluid flushes...
No fair - sounds great but do you have the model number for the correct size/version Speedbleeders for our Jags? I could not find a table for Jags.

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wrair
No fair - sounds great but do you have the model number for the correct size/version Speedbleeders for our Jags? I could not find a table for Jags.

Thanks.
No, I don't.

Aren't the calipers shared on other manufacturer cars? I thought they were an ATE calipers? You could ask SpeedBleeders if they know?

Old 06-02-2015, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member

As far as I know, the callipers are all Continental Teves or ATE (same company, Conti bought Alfred Teves) except for the Alcon package that was available for 4.2 XKRs.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:45 PM

Again, pardon my ignorance, as this is my first Jaguar and I'm still "learning the ropes". I took my CPO 2012 XK in for 36 month maintenance and was pleasantly surprised that there was no charge for the oil change, or anything else for that matter. They even gave me an XF to drive for the few hours they had the car. Is this normal? The service writer said something about my car having a Platinum package. Do all have this Platinum package, or is this something the original owner purchased?

Old 06-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

2012 xks came with complimentary annual/15k mile maintenance. You should always get a comped loaner when you take your xk in for service while it is on warranty. I believe the platinum package is included in the cpo program, which means that up until 100k miles or 7 years from first service date annual/15k maintenance is comped and you get a loaner from your jaguar dealer. Also means the same when you take the car in for a covered repair.

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by carealtor
Again, pardon my ignorance, as this is my first Jaguar and I'm still "learning the ropes". I took my CPO 2012 XK in for 36 month maintenance and was pleasantly surprised that there was no charge for the oil change, or anything else for that matter. They even gave me an XF to drive for the few hours they had the car. Is this normal? The service writer said something about my car having a Platinum package. Do all have this Platinum package, or is this something the original owner purchased?
I bought my 2012 CPO convert a year ago and took it in for service last month. Got it with 6600 miles and put 5K on it. They did oil/filter change , brake fluid flush , TSB SW updates and will replace the top switch when I bring it back in. All for no cost and I used a 2015 XF AWD with 120 miles on it to use.

Quick Reply: Service Required