Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 06:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Shock absorbers

Dear all,
My XK 2007 has electric controlled shocks, or so it is said. Damping factor is controled by the built-in brain that looks at the position of the gear. If sport is selected, than the schocks stiffen up, or so it should be.
I have tested the schock action in all gear positions using the vibration table of the french vehicle inspection units that check cars for road worthiness.

To my surprise, no difference could be seen between any of the gear positions!!!
Why? Are my schocks dead, is the brain out to lunch or is the shock control speed dependent?? That would be more difficult to test?

And, to those who know the details of this system, between which damping values ( k faxtor) are the shocks switched
I believe the system controls a small valve as a flow restrictor. Is that so or is a magnetic fluid used in these shocks?
Both front and rear schocks are controlled?.

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Welcome to the forum JAG shaker,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XK/XKR forum. This is the plce to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

From what I've read (and it's not been too much) the shock dampening is based on the accelerometers front and rear to decide when to actuate the dampening as well as vehicle speed. There's a blurb in the factory service manual that available through Topix about it.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks ranchero

Yeah, i remember now. Complex affair. No wonder i did not see a difference.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:17 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

Here you go.
On activation of CATS, additional flow of the oil in the dampers is allowed through a bi-pass 'softening' the ride.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CATS.pdf (169.7 KB, 160 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
Panthro (05-14-2017), Sean W (05-10-2017)