XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

So, I had to have a new AC drainline...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default So, I had to have a new AC drainline...

I noticed water "sloshing" into the passenger footwell last week. I dropped the car off a few days ago and they called and said I needed a new AC drain line. They pulled the entire dash and put a new line in (all covered under warranty).

I told them I had a similar problem with the 07 XKR I had and I thought they had fixed this issue with the later gen XK/R's. Apparently they can still become clogged, and the tip design still is not optimum. One of the tech's said they "clipped the tip" to help with drainage. Beyond what that means litterally I don't know exactly how much they clipped off the end of the drain line.

But glad it was covered under warranty!! Although it was 95% labor cost...

EDIT: This was my XKR...

Last edited by rscultho; 08-09-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

This is you XJL or XKR?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Rodney,

As I'm sure you and other members are aware, previous posts pointed out that the purpose of the duckbill design was for the duckbill to open automatically from the weight of water so the condensate would drain out and to stay closed at all other times to keep bugs and road debris from getting into that drain line and clogging it up. With the the duckbill clipped off, you now have a larger opening that is more vulnerable to road grime and critters crawling in and eventually clogging the drain line again. Let us know if you find that to be a problem. Do you know if the technician put any wire mesh in the end of the drain line to keep critters out? I thought Jaguar redesigned the duckbill in 2010 to remedy this problem and don't understand why your tech cut it off.

I also don't understand why they went through all the effort to pull the dash and install a new drain line and then clip the tip of that new drain. Do you know if they tried clipping the tip of the old drain line before pulling the dash? If that had worked, they wouldn't have had to pull the dash and install a new line.

Did you try any of the simple DIY workarounds to clear the line, such as closing all the AC vents and running the AC on maximum to force air through the drain line? See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ot-well-55703/

After reading about this problem, about a year ago I decided to do a quick fix for preventive maintenance every time I drive my XKR. I set the AC to blow out from the upper dash vents only (not the defrosters), close off all those vents, turn the fan speed knob to the highest speed and run it that way for a couple of minutes. So far, so good - I haven't had any water in the passenger foot well.

Stuart

Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts
Default Not a Pretty Sight

Here's what it looks like when the dash is pulled in order to replace the AC drain hose (not my car):

Interesting that the entire dash assembly apparently drops down in a single unit. I wonder how long it takes to take it down and put it back up.

Note the tech's good taste in protection for the ivory seats!

Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
This is you XJL or XKR?
XKR...edited my original post to be clear...

Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Rodney,

As I'm sure you and other members are aware, previous posts pointed out that the purpose of the duckbill design was for the duckbill to open automatically from the weight of water so the condensate would drain out and to stay closed at all other times to keep bugs and road debris from getting into that drain line and clogging it up. With the the duckbill clipped off, you now have a larger opening that is more vulnerable to road grime and critters crawling in and eventually clogging the drain line again. Let us know if you find that to be a problem. Do you know if the technician put any wire mesh in the end of the drain line to keep critters out? I thought Jaguar redesigned the duckbill in 2010 to remedy this problem and don't understand why your tech cut it off.

I also don't understand why they went through all the effort to pull the dash and install a new drain line and then clip the tip of that new drain. Do you know if they tried clipping the tip of the old drain line before pulling the dash? If that had worked, they wouldn't have had to pull the dash and install a new line.

Did you try any of the simple DIY workarounds to clear the line, such as closing all the AC vents and running the AC on maximum to force air through the drain line? See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ot-well-55703/

After reading about this problem, about a year ago I decided to do a quick fix for preventive maintenance every time I drive my XKR. I set the AC to blow out from the upper dash vents only (not the defrosters), close off all those vents, turn the fan speed knob to the highest speed and run it that way for a couple of minutes. So far, so good - I haven't had any water in the passenger foot well.

Stuart
Yea, I went through all this when I had the 07 XKR. I followed the lead of others that asked Jag USA for help with the problem, and they sent me the $250 certificate to be used for dealer services. I did not get into it very deeply with them on exactly what they did.

I tried closing all the vents and turning the fan on high before taking it in; but apparently part of this system is open to air under the dash and unless the blockage is super light that won't make a big difference. I too was under the impression that the design change for this eliminated this problem.

I surely hope I am not revisiting this problem again in a few years...unless of course I trade it.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

b37814 are the last 6 of my vin, do you think my vehicle is good for a change too? can we check by vin, i saw a recall.
So indeed 2010 vehicle are affected too?

XK (X150) VIN: B00001 - B33100
Model Year: 2007 - 2009

Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

A local Jag dealership was trolling this forum when I had asked where to bring my car to have this repair done the right way. He more than hooked me up. Beat everyone's posted price by a lot ($800 out the door with an XF loaner) and brought my rug and pad to an autobody shop to be dried out.

I figured at that price, I am not going to go after Jag looking for a hand out. I know where I will go first when looking for my next Jag...

Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

is there a particulary use to prevent, slow down this process?