XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

So - I took a 2016 F type for a spin

Old 06-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Received 463 Likes on 307 Posts
Default So - I took a 2016 F type for a spin

I was down at the Jag dealer getting my 2009 XKR AC "recharged".

I noticed they had a white F type V6 supercharged on the lot - loaded, upgraded brakes, carbon fibre trim bits - forgot to take a pic of the leather red and black seats/interior.

The car was fun to drive (AWD) - when flooring it from around 1500-2000 rpm it took it's time to get moving (unlike the XKR with the V8).

If I paddle shifted down to bring the rpm's up it did take off pretty quick.

I liked the dash and the newer centre console.

I think in white it looks really sharp.

They gave me a loaner XF-S, loaded to toodle around town in, very nice centre console which is a fair bit bigger than the F type's.

I was tempted - but after getting back in the XKR there was no comparison, the interior is better quality and you cant compare a V8 with a V6.

Pics:

Loaner:

The following 4 users liked this post by McJag222:
Cee Jay (06-03-2018), Queen and Country (06-03-2018), ralphwg (06-03-2018), sharx8 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I drove an F-Type R AWD a couple years ago. It was OK, but a bit small inside (I like the rear seats in the XKR, although I never use them). The point of I Won't Buy was when I tried checking the blind spot with the roof up. Couldn't see a danged thing with that crazy C-Pillar in the way.
Also, with the top down, the actual soft top IS the tonneau cover. It seemed kind of..... cheesy.
Maybe once they are sub-$30,000 as an additional toy.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Outside of the SVR (which is a heck of a deal), I haven't warmed up to the F Type as much as someone like me should. I agree when they are sub 30K, I would like to reevaluate it all.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

The zf8hp is brilliant keeps it in the constant power band

Unsure about the interiors on the standard f type but the British edition has seats very similar to the xkrs

Attached Thumbnails So - I took a 2016 F type for a spin-screenshot_2018-06-04-05-49-25.png   So - I took a 2016 F type for a spin-screenshot_2018-06-04-05-49-52.png  

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 06-03-2018 at 03:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AllblueACR (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Outside of the SVR (which is a heck of a deal), I haven't warmed up to the F Type as much as someone like me should. I agree when they are sub 30K, I would like to reevaluate it all.
Last month during my oil change I drove a new coupe. V6 AWD and I still couldn't find it to my liking. There just doesn't seem to be much space inside and the ride is to harsh (firm) to my liking. Infotainment system was good but the thing I disliked was the shifter. I guess even if it went to under 30 I'm still out of that market.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I purchased my XK Coupe over 4 years ago shortly after the F Type was taking off at dealerships. I test drove the F Type approximately 5 times. I just couldn't get used to the jarring ride that I imagine might become quite unsettling if driven daily. It was at that time I test drove an XKR convertible. I was sold on purchasing an XK but NOT NEW. It was the F Type that actually got me into purchasing my 2010 XK Coupe.

mosesbotbol (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

I looked at both the F and the XK, when I wanted a convertible.

The deciding factor for me was my partially disabled wife could not get in the F but found the XKR very comfortable. Also her smaller mobility scooter breaks into 4pieces, 2 go in The boot, 2 go on the rear seats wrapped in a quilt.. there’s is also enough space to fit luggage so we can go on road trips, something that is impossible with the F.

Besides I think the XKR is much sexier than the F.

The following 2 users liked this post by PsiFox:
ralphwg (06-03-2018), Ranchero50 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Received 463 Likes on 307 Posts

Another thing, they are sullying the F type with putting 4 bangers in there - what were they thinking?

They had a new one on the lot - the sales manager reckoned the aim was at people buying the car for their teens without having the ability to kill themselves with more power....haha.

He also stated he wouldn't be bringing in the V8 F type because it's too weighty at the front and tends to under steer - and the exhaust noise is too loud and the next setting is obnoxious - I thought the exhaust was more adjustable than that.

When I mentioned that to the service guy he just laughed - "guy can't drive" was the response

Old 06-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Funnily enough I disliked the f type myself the first time I drove one and thought the XKR was much better. And you are quite right, there is a hesitation in launch. Some suggest it is lag, I tend to think it is the transmission software. The transmission itself is awesome but a little odd, it actually lets you give a little rev in drive without it biting, I dont know why. Also when you drive the 6 around, it actually doesnt feel like a fast car at all - until you put your foot down.

I have driven the base (not really impressed), the 6S, the R AWD on a mixture of track and roads and I've been a passenger in the R RWD, the 6S, and the 4 potter for hot laps. The 4 is a seriously good car in the hands of a good driver. I didnt really like the heaviness of the front in the R AWD, on the track I just kept thinking that the RWD S would be so much more fun for me (as it was). The R RWD was the most fun in a hot lap, I have never drifted so much before or since.

The XJR on a track is actually very similar to the XKR on a track, IMO, although the dts isnt as aggressive or at least there might be more weight at the back, so it is easier accelerating out of corners.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

For me, there isn't much to make an F-Type better than a Corvette. I would be far more likely down the road to get a C7 over an F-Type. It would really come down to price and reliability.

The XK is an entirely different car. I enjoy the scenery in the XK, I enjoy the road in the Corvette.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

We dont get Corvette's here so the only new ones have been converted to RHD and cost a bomb - like the same or more than what you would pay for the F Type, then there is not really any manufacturer support.

Ultimately if they were available I would have crossed shopped against the F Type myself. But the f type does grow on you, it took a few weeks of uncertainty as to which of the f type or the XKR is the better car, but ultimately you cant compare because they are so different. The XKR is certainly easier to live with, getting in and out, and has more room. The F type handles better, is much noisier (if you like that), and the later 2016MY and following have much better tech/media.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'll never buy a Corvette. Too much negative stigma for me. Don't want to sound vain, but the marque is just not for me. Shelby GT350 or Viper are the mainstream American sports car choices for me. Even then I am not so sure about owning a Shelby; way too easy to get in a lot of trouble. Never driven a Viper, but I imagine that is handful too.

Queen and Country (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Long term- the XK to me is getting better looking and my brother's Ftype, which I thought was better, is now somewhat blending-in with average cars. Not from the back, that is still tops, no other car like it, not even the Aston.

Hear me out. I feel there is a certain size required to have a standout stance. A Subaru BRZ for instance or a Mr2 or any small but well shaped car doesnt have that authority.

I thought the XK was too big originally. Now I think the Ftype is slightly small.
Astons are all perfect.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Since we are all voicing our own opinions, which really count for very little in the overall scheme of things, I must say I found almost nothing to like about the F-Type. I spent nearly twenty minutes trying to get the seat and steering positions to feel comfortable, whilst looking at the overall layout of the interior. The salesperson kept wanting me to drive it (R RWD), but I saw no point since I wasn't able to get even reasonably comfortable with the driving position.

The Corvette to me looks garish with the front and back looking like they were designed by two GM styling teams that didn't speak to each other. I'm sure others feel differently about the car.

In the final analysis, I suppose I prefer the look, ride and comfort of a Grand Tourer. The F-Type and Corvette are not, and some would say, make no attempt at being Grand Tourers.

When and if it comes time to add another car, I suppose that leaves me with looking at a late model DB9, without the featureless Obsidian Black interior most now seem to have.

Last edited by NBCat; 06-04-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Remove extra spaces between paragraphs
ralphwg (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I wholeheartedly agree the operative word is Grand Tourer.
Its paramount to me to. Which encompasses the interior and comfort.

Sir Lyon's called it Pace, Space & Grace.

Wonder how he fit those 3 dancers in the car.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

For me, the XKR has a presence that very few (read Aston Martin) cars can sustain. Now in my mid-50s, I wouldn't have a Corvette as a gift. It seems like a childish car for a grown man to own. The same or more can be said for a Viper, and there is no Mustang that I have ever seen that had the sort of presence that is bestowed upon the Jaguar.

. . . besides, you don't get the complimentary "Small *****" bumper sticker when you buy the Jag, as you might with the Corvette.

The following 3 users liked this post by JaguarJeffrey:
Cee Jay (06-04-2018), NBCat (06-04-2018), Queen and Country (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Back in December of 2013, before the F-type was even available for sale in the U.S., I was one of the lucky Jaguar Forum members who got to take home an F-type for 4 days after it was introduced to the U.S. at the Car Show at the L.A. Convention center. My impressions were varied. The sound of that V8S was intoxicating ( and I thought probably not legal). The handling and ride were excellent and I certainly enjoyed driving it. I did not like the interior very much. Firstly, it was claustrophobic being as small as it was without a back seat area or a parcel shelf. I also thought the motorized A/C vents were ridiculous and a future source of repair dollars. And finally, I hated the plain, flat cover made of cheap gray plastic that covered the cup holders (would have been better to just leave them open like in the X150. And the trunk on the convertible that I had was simply a joke; talk about being able to carry two sets of golf clubs? you couldn't carry two clubs let alone two bags! I agree with others that the larger GT 2+2 shapes lend themselves to a more graceful looking body although the F-type coupe has a gorgeous shape as well. I also think the previous generation of the Aston Vantage, a similarly sized car to the F-type, is probably one of my favorite auto body designs ever made. I won't be trading my X150 for an F-type anytime soon.

Attached Thumbnails So - I took a 2016 F type for a spin-nic_0441.jpg   So - I took a 2016 F type for a spin-nic_0443.jpg   So - I took a 2016 F type for a spin-dscf8217-1280x960-.jpg  

Last edited by tberg; 06-04-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I too was one of the lucky ones. Jaguar NA gave me F-Type R vert (I think) it was the top of the line at the time and had the supercharged 5.0L engine. I agree with everything that Tberg says above with two additional thoughts. I'm a tennis player and I carry a tennis bag on playing days---no way would it fit in what passes for a trunk and the F-type is a true this century sports car, the ride is quite harsh,the exhaust intoxicating, and the car itself doesn't have the grace of a GT. GTs are for me!!

Old 06-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Lots of comments but none that answer my question(s). Is the F-type a re-skinned XK? It seems to share the same floorpan, chassis, engine (V8 variant).

Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

This page provides a side-by-side comparison of specs.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/car...jaguar_xk_2015

hafren (06-05-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So - I took a 2016 F type for a spin