XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So My Neighbor came Over to talk about My Jag..

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I think you misread that article. That early F-type project was scrubbed when Wolfgang Reitzle ran the Ford Premier Automotive Group, which was from 1999 to 2002. Therefore, it would appear that the first F-type began in the mid-to-late 90's.
I didn't misread it. To quote the article, "That left Ford to pay $2.5 billion for Jaguar, a legendary brand that had limped along through the 1980s as an independent after being mismanaged nearly to extinction by British Leyland. Jaguar had only two cars, and nothing in development but an ill-conceived sports car called the F-Type." The original F-Type project goes back to 1980. Here is the link to the fascinating story of the original F-Type.

This is the Original Jaguar F-Type that Never Made It to Production

Last edited by rfr66; 08-21-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
I didn't misread it. To quote the article, "That left Ford to pay $2.5 billion for Jaguar, a legendary brand that had limped along through the 1980s as an independent after being mismanaged nearly to extinction by British Leyland. Jaguar had only two cars, and nothing in development but an ill-conceived sports car called the F-Type." The original F-Type project goes back to 1980. Here is the link to the fascinating story of the original F-Type.

This is the Original Jaguar F-Type that Never Made It to Production
Thanks for the link. Great article! I didn't know about it and it helps to clarify the history of the F-type. It's interesting that the factory called the early project the "F-type" (lower case t), whereas they spell the current model "F-Type" with an upper case T, apparently to distinguish one from the other.

I thought you misread the article in the link I posted earlier because that article states:
"The explosive growth under Ford's stewardship hasn't been entirely smooth for Jaguar, which lost $500 million in 2002 while trying to get the aluminum process right. An all-new F-type sports car, conceived during Reitzle's tenure, was canceled."
According to Wikikpedia, Reitzle was there from 1999 to 2002. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premie...oup#Management. That's why I concluded: "Therefore, it would appear that the first F-type project began in the mid-to-late 90's."

However, the article you posted states:
"Long before the current F-Type, Jaguar was very close to launching a similar car that would have been the first true successor to the iconic E-Type. As the XJ-S failed to emulate the E-Type’s success, in 1980 Jaguar started developing the F-Type, codenamed XJ41 (coupe) and XJ42 (roadster)."
No wonder Jaguar was in so much trouble back in the '80s and '90s, dragging their feet for decades of developmental time for a single model. It's a good thing that Ford came to the rescue, otherwise we wouldn't have our X150s to enjoy!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Apparently you misunderstood what I wrote:
Yes I did

Old 08-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fspider
Now, to repeat my question. Have you a picture of your BRG KX
LOL, i get it, ignor me then, its cool
Forums ey

Old 08-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Fortune favors the Bold. Jaguar has always been the privilege of the adventurous.

p.s. Perhaps he was from Utah and laughing at your ability to only carry one companion.
This must be why you got a XK and not a F-type.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
This must be why you got a XK and not a F-type.
Yes the luckiest you will ever get in an Ftype will be ordinary.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

LOL, i get it, ignor me then, its cool
Forums ey
Mate, no one's answered you cause your request seems bizarre. They are not that extraordinary here. Have you not seen your fair share of surplus army green painted cars. I am originally from E. Sussex and I dont think I could stand another one. When I was young even the transit vans were British 'Racing' Green.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:31 PM

Not bizarre at all, if i havnt seen one i havnt seen one.
No drama, just saw the guys car and liked it, thats all, just being friendly.
No worries here, i am part of other forums were there are some very nice and rare cars, when asked about them owners cant wait to post pictures of them.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

i havnt seen one.
Makes sense, kinda like they sell French Fries here, no one has heard of them in France. Lol

Old 08-22-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Makes sense, kinda like they sell French Fries here, no one has heard of them in France. Lol
True that, you should see me trying to order food at my yearly trip to lemans........i starve

Old 08-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

So back to the OP. Did the neighbor get a Jag? If so, does his wife thank you or want to do bad things to you or your car?

Old 08-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Update: My neighbor is still shopping around...and he is still looking from his window at my driveway every time I come home.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:34 AM

Should I drive up one day with the top down and park in your drive way? Really make him crazy!

Old 08-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by SickRob
Should I drive up one day with the top down and park in your drive way? Really make him crazy!
To be clear, we're talking the car top?

Again, I'll show myself out....
Please don't ban me

Old 08-25-2016, 01:58 PM

At my age people tell me that only the car top should be down. Thankfully it goes down with the push of a button. The first Jag was a lot more work.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

All 2016 Jaguars carry a 5 year 60k mile full boat warranty. That says something about JLR's confidence in the Jaguars being built and sold today. almost forgot that warranty also includes schedule maintenance. These two things should go a far piece in changing the "public's perception" of Jaguar quality.

So the image correction is being worked on. stay tuned!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:07 AM

I was casually talking to a coworker yesterday and the topic of cars came up. He is about 45 yrs old and makes a good salary as a CPA. Ironically he lives in Madison NJ right where I go to get my Jaguar serviced. He asked me what car I drove and I said a Jaguar and he said "Really....? Isn't that for older people?" I said "It can be for anybody who wants one"...and he said "Yeah but don't mostly old people drive those cars?" He drives a 3 series BMW.
So I opened up Jaguar's website on his PC and showed him the latest models and he was very surprised and he liked what he saw. He said to me "I drive by the Jaguar dealer every day but I had no idea that their cars looked like this'.

Jaguar definitely has a perception problem with the public, as I hear comments like this all the time. They can give a 20 year warranty and it still won't change what people already perceive them as. I do not really know what else they can do to fix this. Or maybe it doesn't even need to be fixed and just accept it as it is?

Old 08-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Perception of cars and owners -

when most think of Vettes they think of a Jersey guy wearing a wife beater with a Mr T gold chain starter collection, hair product, pedophile mustache, etc

Ferrari's - a Napolian sized guy lacking any manlihood

Buicks and Oldsmobiles - Octogenarian who can neither drive safely nor has the ability to see over the steering wheel heading to bingo

Minivan driver - highly distracted female spending more time with her head turned from traffic towards kids trying to load a DVD of Finding Nemo into the infotainement system.

White full-sized panel van = molestation mobile

White Astro-van - selling bogus electronics and hangs around ATM's to find his victims

convertible bug - either a gay man or a vegan woman

Doesn't mean those are accurate but those are many of the misconceptions

Old 08-26-2016, 11:17 AM

The Corvette profile is spot on though. ↑

Old 08-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
Perception of cars and owners -

when most think of Vettes they think of a Jersey guy wearing a wife beater with a Mr T gold chain starter collection, hair product, pedophile mustache, etc

Ferrari's - a Napolian sized guy lacking any manlihood

Buicks and Oldsmobiles - Octogenarian who can neither drive safely nor has the ability to see over the steering wheel heading to bingo

Minivan driver - highly distracted female spending more time with her head turned from traffic towards kids trying to load a DVD of Finding Nemo into the infotainement system.

White full-sized panel van = molestation mobile

White Astro-van - selling bogus electronics and hangs around ATM's to find his victims

convertible bug - either a gay man or a vegan woman

Doesn't mean those are accurate but those are many of the misconceptions
It's true I read it myself in this months issue of "General truisms & Generalizations"

I believe Jaguar is aware and taken the steps to rectify. Thus the end of burls and larger vehicles in favor of limiting the ads to smaller cars.