XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sold my Jag

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
And Moses, obviously was just kidding about any chance of getting that unless of course my 5 numbers and bonus happen to hit this weekend if that happens then of course and I'll let you drive it!
I can see that car on my lottery list... My first reasonable lottery pick is the new DB11 or Vanquish.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Here's mine - the unicorn
An Aperta Ferrari F12 TDF between reality and aspiration

With the black not red interior. So far only one or two made as test mules

Old 04-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Here's mine - the unicorn
An Aperta Ferrari F12 TDF between reality and aspiration

With the black not red interior. So far only one or two made as test mules
I'm a big fan of the F12; Ferrari really did well with every facet of that car. Here's one I use to see frequently in Signapore:

Name:  IMG_0227_zps87529bee.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  148.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0226_zpsc71f18c2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  146.0 KB

Old 04-28-2017, 02:34 PM
Banned

that Giallo Triplo yellow paint is just so gorgeous! I think those wanna-be "fast and furious" stickers have gotta go. Being in San Diego whatever my next joy-toy is it's got to be another convertbile

Old 04-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

The only other car personally that I've ever lusted for was for a modern day Aston and not the baby one! Considering I'm not purchasing one new or used, I'll keep my lovely 9,000 mile 10 XK Coupe. Yes it's depreciating as I'm writing this post and more than likely my daughter will get it one day, but I still love looking at it and enjoying it when I can. I'm a realist and an Aston is just not in the cards for me. This may be as good as it gets at least for me. But not a bad car to own!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

I've prepared a short list for you Leeper, each one in there own right is quite beautiful and collectable.

Jaguar F-Type
Maserati GT
Aston Vantage S (this might be the baby aston but the proportions are perfect)
Ferrari California (2+2)
Jaguar XKR-S GT (factory burgundy)

I know your also a porsche fan so a 997 GT3 also makes the cut

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 04-28-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Ok, I am game for recommending even more expensive cars, he should consider the new NSX, looks to be nice. Or an Audi R8 with 10 cylinders, at least here in my neck of the woods it is a rare sighting and a real eye catcher. Not to mention fast as hell!

Grab that R8 for a song, clean it up and sell it for more in a year, you have a great formula. Rinse and repeat.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:18 AM
Banned

The new NSX... LOVED the original to no end but that new one just doesn't sit well with me in the least (or it seems the market as a whole as evident by lackluster sales). I always have had a Honda in the stable, drive one right now, but they missed many things on the NSX. No way it should demand the $200K they want. I'd consider an older model as I always lusted over them but wouldn't want the depreciation curve on the new one. The car came out @7 years too late with mediocre accouterments. The R8 looked good to me for maybe a month now it looks like a TT to me, which isn't pretty. It doesn't follow my desire of low maintenance nor do I find it remotely attractive, goes like hell but not nice to look at.

F-type - too small. I'm 6'3". I'd rather go with another XK/XKR by far and may do that
Massy/Aston - honestly I'd rather have the Jag as very close in performance yet FAR less headache keeping it going. I've seen some low prices on them but I don't think there's a market to sell them
Ferrari Cali - if I go F car it would be a 458, that is a great Ferrari and holds it value the Cali doesn't look like a Ferrari most people don't even know it is. Might as well have the XK plus those are dropping like rocks right now guys are losing $100-150 in only a couple years. I'd much rather a XKR-S but it would likely be French Blue Conv love that color and very unique to that car... and have to be all black interior not loving that red leather at all on some of them.
I did see a killer price on a Porsche C4S cab that was a attractive always liked that model but unless I can grab a bargain on a P car again I'll probably wait til the XKR-S come down a bit more in price. Cash is king, I wait until the winter and find gems that are not advertised well then get them at low prices

Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 AM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Modern Ferarri's don't do it for me either, and they are all expensive maintenance hogs, but if they built one that looked like the old 330 P3 or P4 from the 60's....man those were beautiful cars.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Consider a 1 or 2-year-old Porsche Cayman S. You can pick up one of these beauties up after 1 or 2 years with ultra low mileage and a great price due to the 1 to 2 depreciation. The Cayman was redesigned in 2014, with the "Code of the Curve".

The drive is awesome, mid-engine, great power to weight ratio, clean smooth styling. The 7 Speed German PDK is awesome. I have 3 different driving modes on mine, Regular, Sport, & Sport Plus. Great gas mileage, and a very roomy cockpit.

Auto insurance is reasonable and much lower in maintenance costs vs Aston, or Ferrari.

Click the image to enlarge. Click again for full screen.

Attached Thumbnails Sold my Jag-dsc_0023-copy.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Consider a classic.
For one the myth of being able to drive a modern sports car at speeds above that of a Honda civic, are just that. In fact the guy in the Honda has more fun, he is constantly taking it to its limits- you never will.

Classics give you the feel and gratification.

For a man who thinks premium gas is a farce, surely you see the delusion that is a sports car behind a minivan and the speed limit is the same for both. Taxes are not!

In a world of easily fooled wannabe hairdressers, you may have a chance at redemption. p.s. classics want cheap gas.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:21 AM
Banned

Bought the Jag for it's amazing good curves/looks which immediately caught my eye when the x150 came out and being it is VERY low maintenance it checkd all hte right boxes. You mentioned a "classic" - 20 years ago, when classics were at the bottom of the curve, I had my heart set on either a 65'ish corvette conv or an XKE conv series one which was then maybe 15K. Fast forward to 1998 I dated a lady who inherited her ex hubby's '68 Camero SS convertible which was many peoples dream car. She let me drive it and instantly I remember how much I really disliked classic cars! The steering was awful, touch the brakes and you could feel each brake grab slowly as that point of the car would move in that direction, suspension was bad, all the car creaked, seats uncomfortable with no back support, loud butt not really fast, auto trans totally boring, Made me realiy that I LOVE modern amenities like great seats, solidly built, all the heated everything, Xenon headlights, I still think a Shelby Cobra, especially the Kirkham Kirkham, are one of the most beautiful cars but I just wouldn't want to drive one more than a few miles... just like a race motorcycle. Years back I drove a BMW M6 (1988 version), I lusted for that car but driving it was horrible, the clutch took almost all my leg strength, steering was really heavy, yuck!

About the Caymen, driven them they drive GREAT! The price point on them is very good for the buyer and they are built well. Had the two Boxsters they were a bit small though however I did drive the new body style Boxster and that was a good improvement in many ways that could be an option. Ideally getting that new GT4 would definitely be a consideration if price weren't a factor that is a great drivers car

Old 04-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Camaros, Corvettes, Bel Airs are not drivers classics.

I was referring to Europeans. But they are not for the weak of heart. Definitely not for you if you cant do without modern comforts.

A vintage 911 is far more gratifying cause most of the time you will run at full throttle, as opposed to lugging a modern one which is begging to be let loose but the prius in front of you simply doesnt understand.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by White Bear
Modern Ferarri's don't do it for me either, and they are all expensive maintenance hogs, but if they built one that looked like the old 330 P3 or P4 from the 60's....man those were beautiful cars.
I've seen one of these in a kit car and it was the closest dead ringer to the original. I've also seen one of the originals at Limerock Park one year. Real head turner.

The following users liked this post:
White Bear (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

My next car will be an Eagle Speedster.
But I am going to build it myself.
Jeremy Clarkson called the eagle speedster "absolute perfection", said that it's not only the most beautiful car he'd ever seen, but possibly the most beautiful thing, and claimed he'd never driven a car he more wanted to own.

I really do see what he is saying. Lately I have found my vintage truck more fun to drive than my sports cars. Smooth sports cars in traffic is like having something raging in your trousers that you can never use.

How many times have we opened the throttle up on each and every gear? I doubt often.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 04-29-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: omitted pic
Old 04-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Dean Martin's son, Dino, had a fly yellow P3/4 legalized for street use many years ago before his untimely jet crash. Beautiful car. There were also a number of replicas built on de Tomaso chassis with Ferrari engines floating around. Great looking "classic."

White Bear (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Bought the Jag for it's amazing good curves/looks which immediately caught my eye when the x150 came out and being it is VERY low maintenance it checkd all hte right boxes. You mentioned a "classic" - 20 years ago, when classics were at the bottom of the curve, I had my heart set on either a 65'ish corvette conv or an XKE conv series one which was then maybe 15K. Fast forward to 1998 I dated a lady who inherited her ex hubby's '68 Camero SS convertible which was many peoples dream car. She let me drive it and instantly I remember how much I really disliked classic cars! The steering was awful, touch the brakes and you could feel each brake grab slowly as that point of the car would move in that direction, suspension was bad, all the car creaked, seats uncomfortable with no back support, loud butt not really fast, auto trans totally boring, Made me realiy that I LOVE modern amenities like great seats, solidly built, all the heated everything, Xenon headlights, I still think a Shelby Cobra, especially the Kirkham Kirkham, are one of the most beautiful cars but I just wouldn't want to drive one more than a few miles... just like a race motorcycle. Years back I drove a BMW M6 (1988 version), I lusted for that car but driving it was horrible, the clutch took almost all my leg strength, steering was really heavy, yuck!

About the Caymen, driven them they drive GREAT! The price point on them is very good for the buyer and they are built well. Had the two Boxsters they were a bit small though however I did drive the new body style Boxster and that was a good improvement in many ways that could be an option. Ideally getting that new GT4 would definitely be a consideration if price weren't a factor that is a great drivers car
The X150 ticks many boxes .

Well priced, low maintenance, comfortable, luxurious and absolutely stunning to look at.

Yes I knew these things prior to my purchase however these attributes were only reinforced once I took a certain Ferrari out for a test drive .

The Ferrari was a 360 modena and I recall the salesperson telling me that I would be hating the car if I was planning for it to be a daily driver.

The first thing I noticed was the complete lack of creature comforts, no cd stacker, GPS, climate control and literally a cockpit that would be just at home in a Datsun (no offence to any 360 owner out there)

Now like Leeper yes the dream to always drive a classic car but I was also disappointed by the lack of technology, unfortunately with these type of vehicles and I guess we can include any classic car in this group is they strictly belong in a garage 6 days a week only to come out and play that one time a week.

End result I found a completely new appreciation for the XK150

Sean W (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 06:14 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Still off topic, but when I attended the 1967 BOAC 500 race at Brands Hatch I saw 4 works P4's race that day, one piloted by Jackie Stuart, also racing were 2-3 GT40's, 3 stunningly beautiful Lola T70 coupes, one of those piloted by Denny Hulm, and of course the Chaparral 2F (first car I ever saw with a wing) that won it, together with several 906 and 908 carrerra Porsches. I used a lot of film that day....

Old 05-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Consider a 987 Boxster Spyder?

After I sold the 1966 E-Type OTS that I owned for 40+ years, I auditioned a lot of different replacements until I found my ultimate "last car": a 2011 Boxster Spyder. Porsche sold only about 900 Spyders in the US in 2011-12. Though labelled a Boxster, the Spyder is a totally different kettle of fish (mixed species metaphor) from all other Boxsters. They are becoming a bit of a cult car. After owning mine for 15 months, I find it as character-full as ever my E-Type was:

mosesbotbol (05-03-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Banned

Wow Mike that is NICE!!!! Congrats. I do like the GT4 that is right up the same alley especially in terms of true driver enjoyment