XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sound symposer removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I was investigating this earlier today when I was poking around under the hood. While it looks easy enough to defeat, I think it will be a pain to remove completely.
Yeah, it's been a real pain so far. I hope to have it all off later this week. I just wish I knew the dimensions of the aftermarket ford focus block off plates so I could have one coming right away if it would work. So far my Google searches haven't turned up any measurements.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
Yeah, it's been a real pain so far. I hope to have it all off later this week. I just wish I knew the dimensions of the aftermarket ford focus block off plates so I could have one coming right away if it would work. So far my Google searches haven't turned up any measurements.
Is that to block off resonator at the firewall or the other end, at the intake manifold? I think that on my F-Type V6S I could have it all removed in a couple of hours, as long as I left the firewall piece in place and capped the end. I have no idea how much more trouble it would be remove that and block the opening, my guess is "considerable."

EDIT: Looking at my car, I expect that on a V8 it would be *much* tighter, and much more of a pain.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:09 PM

To block it off at the engine. I assume it will be under boost/vacuum so a good sealed block off plate will have to be fabricated.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:56 AM

Got it all taken out yesterday...never, will I ever do it again. SUCH a pain to try to get out of there! Now I'm awaiting an answer from a manufacturer of the dimensions of their 'symposer delete plate' for a Ford focus. The flange looks to be very similar to the jag flange, so here's hoping. If not I'll custom fabricate one.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
Got it all taken out yesterday...never, will I ever do it again. SUCH a pain to try to get out of there! Now I'm awaiting an answer from a manufacturer of the dimensions of their 'symposer delete plate' for a Ford focus. The flange looks to be very similar to the jag flange, so here's hoping. If not I'll custom fabricate one.
Have you had a chance to weigh everything yet? Do you think it would be any easier on an XF or XJ? Sound differences?

Thanks for doing this most people would turn their nose up and run from something like this. Did you take any pics along the way?

Old 02-18-2016, 06:30 PM

No pics but I'm still at a point where I could take some. Weight is negligible, don't even know if it's worth weighing. I'd say maybe 1lb? Plastic vacuum line with a T had to be redone, working on finishing that tomorrow. And still waiting from some vendors on the dimensions of the focus block off plate.

If I hadn't noticed the broken vacuum line when I replaced the temp sensor, I wouldve left this be. The weight savings aren't worth it, it could be easily disabled if the sound wasn't desirable just by removing the hose going to the firewall.

The only benifit IMO is tidying up the engine bay, even that is minimal. It also gets rid of something unnecessary, but with today's cars what really is necessary...

Old 02-19-2016, 08:14 PM

Blue port is the inlet to the cabin. This will just be getting a cap.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Had a chance to do any sound testing yet? I am guessing with you being in Iowa probably not for a few more months?

Which intake is that?

Old 02-20-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by boiler
Had a chance to do any sound testing yet? I am guessing with you being in Iowa probably not for a few more months?

Which intake is that?
Won't be doing any testing for a while yet, and still waiting on the answer of the dimensions of the focus block off plate. The intake isn't quite done yet, that's another project of mine

Old 02-20-2016, 11:47 AM

Heres from a LR part diagram, same thing. The vacuum line That was broken on mine and started this whole project was 12a188 in the pic

Old 02-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

(Also posted to F-Type section)

I just disabled mine this morning to see what difference it made. With the active exhaust in its quiet setting, the car still gets louder at around 3500 rpm under heavy load. I can still hear the exhaust open up, but the sound doesn't increase as much, and it's clearly coming from outside. Previously it would resonate through the cabin in a way that I found mildly annoying. We'll see how I feel about it after a few days, but so far, I'm happier without the Symposer "enhancement."

To disable it, I removed the plastic elbow on top and separated it from the hose that goes to the firewall. Into the hose side of the elbow I stuffed in a plug of rolled up ensolite. The plug is about 3cm long.

In the diagram in the previous post, it would be 8A505A, where it goes to 8A505B. The layout and ancillary parts are different on the F-Type, but that's the equivalent.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It's amazing what they did you give a little more sound in the cabin. I like my noise outside with the top up but with it down it's good for me.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

I've got a coupe, so the top is always up

If the system were switched, as the exhaust is, it'd be a different story for me but as noted, the cabin resonance is annoying. I'll be out and about today so will get some more time with it, but I don't see myself enabling the system again.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

I see the part no. 4630 as the part that is in the cabin but what is it. Is there some type of diaphragm or speaker that resonates with air coming from the plenum. I guess I need to understand how the system functions. Is it just air or vacuum tuned to the same frequency as the exhaust. So other then the broken vacuum line if you wanted to dismantle the system all you would need to do is either block off the big rubber hose or block off the vacuum line that operates the system. Don't know if it is a normally open valve or N/C .

Old 02-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I see the part no. 4630 as the part that is in the cabin but what is it. Is there some type of diaphragm or speaker that resonates with air coming from the plenum. I guess I need to understand how the system functions. Is it just air or vacuum tuned to the same frequency as the exhaust. So other then the broken vacuum line if you wanted to dismantle the system all you would need to do is either block off the big rubber hose or block off the vacuum line that operates the system. Don't know if it is a normally open valve or N/C .
I haven't dismantled the system, but I did disable it (blocking off the big rubber hose). Looking at it, my assessment is:

Sound is funneled from inside the engine to a horn on the firewall that relays it to the cabin. The sound passes through a device which makes it more "pleasant" (I expect there is a lot of mechanical noise that would come through without that) and it is switched based on load.

What I'm not sure of is whether the valve is open when the engine is not running, and closes under vacuum once the engine starts. That's irrelevant if you disable it as I did. Removal would be cleaner, but it only took ten minutes to disable it. I've spent more time than that talking about it here.

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Is this device only on R's? Don't see one on my 2007 4.2L !
Hard to believe that Jag wasted it's time & money on this idea and yet no coolant temp or oil pressure; dumb, dumb..............they got it right on the XK8! same with speedo, tach and gas filler configuration! progress............

Thanks, Adrian

Old 02-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by britannia
Is this device only on R's? Don't see one on my 2007 4.2L !
I've got a 2016 F-Type V6S, so I suspect it's more a matter of model year than model, although I don't know if they put this on the sedans.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

I have never pulled the plastic engine cover off of my 2012 so I only assume I have this feature. It may not be that intrusive to me because it is rare that I drive with the top up. I don't recall last year on one of my 4 hour trips to Pa. if there was any noise objections at highway speeds up to 80mph with the top up. I agree with others it seems like a waste just for a little extra cockpit noise.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, I just took off my engine cover (2007 XK) and found a strange 1" dia. hose from passenger side off intake manifold that goes to firewall. It appears to be passive, no control valves in engine compartment. Can't see cabin end of hose!
So I guess we have something; passenger compartment to intake manifold!!
Don't quite understand, just a dumb retired Boeing aerospace engineer!!

Any comments (about 1" hose, not me!)?

Cheers, Adrian

Old 02-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by britannia
Well, I just took off my engine cover (2007 XK) and found a strange 1" dia. hose from passenger side off intake manifold that goes to firewall. It appears to be passive, no control valves in engine compartment. Can't see cabin end of hose!
So I guess we have something; passenger compartment to intake manifold!!
Don't quite understand, just a dumb retired Boeing aerospace engineer!!

Any comments (about 1" hose, not me!)?

Cheers, Adrian
Could it be a water coolant hose?

Quick Reply: Sound symposer removal