Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speaking of inflator kits...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Speaking of inflator kits...

Hey Guys,
I see where the sealant in my inflator kit has expired (2011). Do the dealers carry a replacement? I've never owned a car with a spare. Kinda creeps me out. Although, the last time I had a roadie flat (E-Type) was 8-9 years ago....

Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Redrider:

If your going to drive your XKR without a real small spare tire and keep just the inflator kit, I will suggest a few aftermarket items to buy.

1) Buy a small mini sized air compressor that plugs into a 12v outlet or cigarette lighter. Also a Accutire Digital Air Gauge.

Amazon.com: AAA 250 PSI 12 Volt 6 In 1 Air Compressor: Automotive Amazon.com: AAA 250 PSI 12 Volt 6 In 1 Air Compressor: Automotive

Digital Accutire Air Gauge: Accutire Standard Car Digital Tire Air Pressure Gauge Auto Tyre Truck Tester PSI | eBay

2) Buy a Tire plugging kit that comes with supplies to "plug" a tire if flat. They are frequently used for ATV's, trailer tires, auto tires.

New 35pc DIY Flat Tire Repair Kit Car Truck Motorcycle at Home Plug Patch Set | eBay

Amazon.com: Slime 1051-A Rubber Cement - 1 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Slime 1051-A Rubber Cement - 1 oz.: Automotive

Buying items #1 and #2 will provide peace of mind if your stuck with a flat tire caused by nails, spikes, screws etc. You would be able to repair the car tire on the road. These items will not help a sidewall blow out, nor would the Flat Tire can of inflator foam. Most flats are caused by spikes, nails, screws etc.

My 2014 Porsche Cayman does not have a spare tire, so I carry items #1 & #2 in the car storage at all times with a pair of long nose pliers to pull out any spikes, nails, screws etc.

You probably don't have road side assistance, because your car is not covered by any Jaguar warranty, unless your current auto insurance covers RA.

The Flat Tire inflator foam will get you only so far, and may cause additional damage to the tire and rim, especially if you have to drive a longer distance for potential tire repair. With the Tire Plugging kit, you can repair and drive long distances or days, then ultimately have the tire looked at. You will also have the mini air compressor to properly inflate the tire to normal air pressures, and finally you have a digital air gauge for accuracy of tire pressure.

If getting a flat with a nail, screw, spike, etc, most tire shops simply plug the tire anyway. Some will dismount the tire from the rim, apply a plug and an inside patch.

These items #1 and #2 really work and I strongly feel it is a wise option for under $50 to have the potential to make a quality repair if stuck on the road without RA.

It's really a safety issue. You can buy a can of tire inflator foam at any autoparts store or even Amazon.

Amazon.com: Slime 60089 Quick Spair Tire Inflator - 16 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Slime 60089 Quick Spair Tire Inflator - 16 oz.: Automotive

Last edited by richzak; 06-09-2014 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RedRider48 (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Great post Rich, thanks! I've fixed many a tire here in the garage and have those plug kits. Yes, this is my first exposure to "no" spare tire. I do have AAA with a 200 mi radius towing plan. One nice thing, there is plenty of room to store those suggested components. Got to thinking about the 12V inflator...with my luck, I'd kill our already "weak" battery/ charging system in the process LOL!
Happy Trails......

Last edited by RedRider48; 06-09-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:41 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

My wife's new MB comes with no spare and no jack. Not even a place to put a spare. MB is going with "run-flat" tires.

I have heard different opinions regarding performance, noise, etc of run-flats so am going to watch carefully as they age. New, they were fine on the Autobahn

Old 06-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

My XKR came with a little 12V inflator along with a can of goop. It's a small black plastic box - might pay to have a closer look behind all sides of the boot well liner. Mine is tucked under the lip of the boot, where the latch is.

The inflator works well enough - had a slow puncture recently, and it was able to get the tyre inflated to get me home. I didn't bother with the goop because I only had a couple of miles to travel, and I was hoping the tyre would be repairable (no such luck, ouch!).