XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Stalled and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stalled and won't start

Hello,
After an hour on the road I stopped to get gas and filled up. The fuel level was above a quarter of a tank but rather than get gas in the morning I decided to get it at night. I finished fueling up and started the car and drove off. I was leaving the gas station and entered the main road and it stalled. I was able to get it started but it chugged and sputtered with no power and was really rough. After coasting to the side of the road I tried to start it again but the starter continued to turn but it seemed like it wasn't getting any gas to turn over the motor.

After an hour, waiting for the tow truck, it still wouldn't start. The next morning, it still won't start. It does not appear to be getting any fuel. Is it a clogged fuel filter, a bad fuel pump or fuel injectors? I am going to have it towed to a Jaguar dealership to have it looked at, they think it is the fuel pump but they haven't looked at it yet.

Any of you have a similar problem? My Jaguar only has 20k miles on it, 2007 XKR.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Stan

Old 09-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Wow,

Hope its the filter....

One time I heard of cars dying when leaving the gas station was when they accidentally filled an underground tank with diesel instead of regular fuel... Cars made it a block and died because they used up the fuel in the lines before the bad stuff made its way through the system.... But then, they had like 15 cars dead withing several blocks of the station, so not sure that's your case...

If they just filled the tanks you could have picked up a lot of water (one reason I bypass stations with tankers present).

Just thinkin out loud....
Vince

Welcome to the forum BTW....

Old 09-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah seems like a weird coincidence... in high school I was getting a ride home from somebody and they did the accidental-diesel fillup thing. The car did exactly what you described. IIRC, it didn't do any damage to the car but the tank had to be drained. Hope its something simple...

Old 09-29-2012, 07:54 AM

Hello Vince,
Thanks for your reply. The diesel scenario would be horrible. I have checked my receipt several times to make sure that I put in 93 octane unleaded, I did. There wasn't a tanker there when I got there but one arrived while I was stranded on the side of the road.

It is really suprising that I was driving an hour and then it had that problem right after fueling up. I am with you and hope it is just the fuel filter. The service guy said the XKR has 2 fuel pumps in the gas tank. They would have to pull the tank and of course, I just filled up.

I will post an update after they have a chance to look at the car.
Thanks again,
Stan
I am glad I joined the forum and thanks for the welcome!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Thanks TheMCP!
I am crossing fingers.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

From your description, my first remedy would be to drain the fuel tank, and then try a gallon or two of fresh gas - do this before dropping the tank, etc.

If the condition then persists, my next move would be to clean/replace the fuel filters.

I experienced contaminated fuel on two occasions, years ago. Both times I was using premium gas bought at a quiet gas station. My sense is that most drivers use regular gas, and premium gas can languish. For this reason alone I buy gas at busy stations (usually cheaper) where there is greater inventory turnover.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sjohnson
Hello Vince,
Thanks for your reply. The diesel scenario would be horrible. I have checked my receipt several times to make sure that I put in 93 octane unleaded, I did. There wasn't a tanker there when I got there but one arrived while I was stranded on the side of the road.
I wish you only the best of luck on this one...

The tanker arriving would still have me wondering if you were unfortunate to pick up the dregs of the underground tank ( IE water settled in the bottom)

More food for thought, with the diesel situation that happened, I recall the service station having to cover all the repairs under its insurance....

Vince

Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Stan,
The fact that you were able to start and leave the gas station (using your existing old fuel in the system) indicates that the new fuel is the problem!
Last week I had the opposite problem; went to get gas, stopped at the store first, went to restart, no go. Tried 3 times nothing, gave it full throttle and it gave a few chugs and then slowly started.
Restarted after filling up and when I got home it restarted OK
Going to add a bottle of Techron Pro Gard cleaner to tank.
Jaguar Gremlins! they put at least one in each vehicle, still paying us back for 1776!!! Maybe we should rethink that event! just a joke fellows, from an exbrit.................

Cheers, Adrian 2000 XK8 2007 XK Coupe

Old 09-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by britannia
Stan,
Jaguar Gremlins! they put at least one in each vehicle, still paying us back for 1776!!! Maybe we should rethink that event!

Cheers, Adrian 2000 XK8 2007 XK Coupe
We only ship Gremlins to ex-colonies. UK sourced Jaguars are totally reliable.

The following users liked this post:
britannia (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. The car has been in the garage a few days waiting to be towed to the dealership. Should I try to start it again? Should I put in some fuel additive? How easy is it to drain the tank?
Thanks!
Stan

Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Thanks for the replies. The car has been in the garage a few days waiting to be towed to the dealership. Should I try to start it again? Should I put in some fuel additive? How easy is it to drain the tank?
Thanks!
Stan
As long as the engine turns over "normally" shouldn't be a problem trying to start. If there's any weird sounds, or if there's any loping of the engine when you turn it over you should stop immediately.

Have you tried to read any codes in the computer?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:16 PM

Have you tried to read any codes in the computer?
I unfortunately don't have an OBD reader. Unless there is another way I am not aware of? I tried starting the car and it the starter turns but not turning over the engine. It is obvious no fuel is getting to the injectors. It has to be either a fuel filter or fuel pump.

Thanks for everyone's help, towing to the dealership tomorrow.

Stan

Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I unfortunately don't have an OBD reader. Unless there is another way I am not aware of? I tried starting the car and it the starter turns but not turning over the engine. It is obvious no fuel is getting to the injectors. It has to be either a fuel filter or fuel pump.

Thanks for everyone's help, towing to the dealership tomorrow.

Stan
if the engine isn't turning over, your battery is drained.

how can you tell no fuel is getting to the injectors without pulling one out and seeing it squirting?

your problem could be electrical in nature as well - bad distributor...

Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 PM

Hey guys,
Here is a quick update. They determined that it was the fuel pump assembly. They had an inspector come out to confirm (extended warranty coverage). Luckily it is covered. The part was ordered last week, still waiting. They also found the battery was not holding a charge. I will let you know when I get the car back.

Thanks for all of your help!
Stan
P.S. I miss my XKR!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hey guys,
Here is a quick update. They determined that it was the fuel pump assembly. They had an inspector come out to confirm (extended warranty coverage). Luckily it is covered. The part was ordered last week, still waiting. They also found the battery was not holding a charge. I will let you know when I get the car back.

Thanks for all of your help!
Stan
P.S. I miss my XKR!
Thanks for the update!....Be sure to let us know when you have her back on the road and what final tally was!

Vince

Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 PM

Ok guys! I finally got my XKR back. Oh how I missed her.

It was the fuel pump and luckily I got the extended warranty coverage when I bought the car so the fuel pump only cost me the $200 deductible. (actual cost was $1900). It had nothing to do with fuel type or sediment, etc. Just time for it to go. Unfortunately the rear breaks needed replaced and so did the battery. Not too bad considering they were the original battery and brakes.

I am good now and I appreciate everyone's responses and concern. Glad to be a part of the forum.

Thanks,
Stan

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (10-13-2012)