XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Starting a search....A few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Starting a search....A few Questions

For the last few months, I have been searching for a 2004-2006 XK8. After having experienced the "Green Shower" first hand while on a final test drive, I think I have decided to change direction and move forward to an XK to avoid the hydraulic issues with the convertible top.

It is my understanding that the convertible tops in the XK's are a different design and don't have the hydraulic top issues. Is this correct? Are there any other mechanical issues that are prevalent in the '07 XK's that I should be aware of?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Ken

----------------

Currently driving a 2012 XF Portfolio
Formerly drove a 2004 X-Type

Last edited by khsjsilver; 08-08-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

I had an 05XK8 convertible and now have a '12 XK convertible. I know about the problem with the top latch hose bursting on the XK8's. This was caused by the pump dead heading against the fully actuated latch cylinder and the extremely high resultant pressure in the hose until the operation timed out. I added a pressure relief valve to my '05 and never had a problem. I never heard of anyone having a problem with this change implemented. The basic design looks the same on the XK8 and XK. Jaguar did add sensors to the latch mechanism which I assume cuts off the pressure when the latch is fully open or closed, instead of waiting for it to time out. This should prevent the high pressure condition that burst the hose in the head rail. I have not heard of any XKs with the top latch hose failure.

I am sure I will get flamed for this but, I personally liked the styling of the 04-08 XK8 over the newer XKs. Especially if you could find one with gauges in the center dash instead of the stupid/worthless NAV system. The automatic toneau cover was the main feature that convinced me to get an XK. I hated snapping the stupid canvas cover on every time i put the top down.

Water pumps leaking seems to be a problem on some of these cars.

The following users liked this post:
khsjsilver (08-08-2017)