XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Still thinking about 2010 XK

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Still thinking about 2010 XK

Hello,
First thank you for all the great info and answers.
Tomorrow we're taking the car for PPI.
Spoke to another mechanic, and he mentioned about the water pump issue, (the water pump was replaced in the first 5K miles, now it has 46K) but not only that but also all the hoses that are connected that can fail. Anyway to keep an eye on that before this happens?

Also regarding the oil level, he mentioned that sometimes the sensor goes out and you cannot tell if there is no oil. Any way around that since there is no dipstick?

Thanks again to all in advance.
oo zone

Old 12-03-2019, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 905 Posts

Regarding the oil level. It is checked electronically. Cycle through the trip computer with the engine shut down for several minutes (7-10) after the car has been driven for at least 10 to 15 minutes. The sixth click on the button that cycles the trip computer which is on the end of the turn signal stalk will take you to the oil level indicator. The indicator will show you whether you are in need of additional oil or not. There is no way to check the oil pressure. If you want to check the alternator and the coolant temperature buy an OBD reader which can be purchased either on EBay or Amazon for $15-$25 and buy the Torque app for either the I-phone or Android phone and you will be able to setup many measurements as well as a fault reader.

Know that these cars normal temp is between 185-210 degrees Fahrenheit and the volt reader should be between 11.5 and 14 volts depending on speed and whether or not the accelerator is being pressed. By the way there are several threads dealing with the water pump issue; one of them has the current pn for the pump if you want to check the pump in the car. Hope the rest of the PPI works out.

The following users liked this post:
oo zone (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 568 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by oo zone
Hello,
First thank you for all the great info and answers.
Tomorrow we're taking the car for PPI.
Spoke to another mechanic, and he mentioned about the water pump issue, (the water pump was replaced in the first 5K miles, now it has 46K) but not only that but also all the hoses that are connected that can fail. Anyway to keep an eye on that before this happens?
oo zone
Everything I've read here (and experienced first hand) on the water pump was that it leaked or made a rattling sound before it failed. I don't recall any sudden failures (but I could be mistaken). If you smell burning coolant, get it looked at. On mine, I could smell it but the coolant wasn't dripping on the floor. It was sitting in the engine valley. I was able to see it with a borescope. I had it replaced out of warranty.
If your PPI smells coolant, get the pump replaced again.
as far as hoses, mine were all replaced wit the pump replacement. Hopefully yours were also.

good luck! Keep us posted.

oo zone (12-12-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

As mentioned, the water pump will fail shortly, the dash leather will separate from the dash, if you have a leather headliner, that will come loose also. Diffs will make weird shuddering noises on left hand turns. Timing chain tensioners will probably fail, supercharger couplings will get noisy and might start eating into the shaft. TPMS sensors will go berserk, The AC might not blow cold air from start up and be incapable of clearing the windshield on rainy days. Coolant hose underneath the supercharger will fail along with many others that are made of plastic. Apart from that you should be fine

Old 12-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufc
As mentioned, the water pump will fail shortly, the dash leather will separate from the dash, if you have a leather headliner, that will come loose also. Diffs will make weird shuddering noises on left hand turns. Timing chain tensioners will probably fail, supercharger couplings will get noisy and might start eating into the shaft. TPMS sensors will go berserk, The AC might not blow cold air from start up and be incapable of clearing the windshield on rainy days. Coolant hose underneath the supercharger will fail along with many others that are made of plastic. Apart from that you should be fine
Wow tell us how you really feel. I'd like to see the data to support your assumptions. Out of all of the 2009-2015 5.0L cars produced what is the failure rate of the WP. Same with the other item that you talked about. See if you can get the numbers in percentage of failures. We'll wait for the results.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

The failures I listed are all common and very well documented. You know I don't have numbers just the same as I know you don't have numbers. I am not sure why you even asked. Jagtoes, you have been on the forum for long enough to know that these are all common failures on the XK.
Sad but very true.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,303 Likes on 3,147 Posts

Yeah, wow. I do think these things do HAPPEN, but they are more the exception and not the rule. Of course, keep the car long enough and EVERYTHING will eventually break. Like, in 500 years.
The only thing on this list that I've experienced in almost 70,000 miles and ten years is the TPMS sensor deal. I still don't have that worked out and the only part left to change is the receiver module. I had my original water pump checked and there is zero seepage, zero rattle. One of my fuel injectors failed, while that isn't super-common, it is pricey to repair.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 12-03-2019 at 11:24 AM.
oo zone (12-12-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,609 Posts

In 10years 50,000 miles the only thing I have had is headliner sagging.

Only few months ago. Also I needed to top up the Freon this year.

oo zone (12-12-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

The failures I listed are all common and very well documented. You know I don't have numbers just the same as I know you don't have numbers. I am not sure why you even asked. Jagtoes, you have been on the forum for long enough to know that these are all common failures on the XK.
Sad but very true.
I would say they are uncommon failures and there isn't enough people on this form to establish any credible data. The only way these would be classified as "common" failures would be if Jaguar/LR issued a recall for them. Other then that you have maybe a handful of form members of which some have had a failure. I have an 89 Volvo which has had 2 water pump failures in 378K miles. I don't think I would tell someone looking for a old Volvo that they have a common water pump failure history. I guess I don't consider these items to be common failures.

oo zone (12-12-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 568 Likes on 384 Posts

And remember, a lot of people only come to forums because they have a problem they want advice on. I frequent this forum to learn but I am also a member of a GMC forum, a Nissan forum and a Hyundai forum that I only go to when I have a problem.

I know about 15 people with X150s that are not on this forum. The only issue I would say is common between them is the water pump. And one of those water pump failures was on a 4.2L @70k miles, and that's pretty much unheard of, right??

The following 3 users liked this post by shemp:
Cee Jay (12-03-2019), oo zone (12-12-2019), Sean W (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
And remember, a lot of people only come to forums because they have a problem they want advice on.
You have a point.
People at proctologists office tend to be the ones who have problems.
Mind you some hypochondriacs will write a post-dated check and have the doc dig around for 30 mins to no avail.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

I have had all of the above in red happen to my car in under 57K miles. Not the best engineered / designed car for sure. And also needed two batteries in under three years.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

The Jaguar engineered batteries that bad eh.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The Jaguar engineered batteries that bad eh.
The battery powers the car. This car has been engineered to suck that power away more quickly than others due to all the control modules / electronics etc. (Exercise that round thing above your shoulders a little more often.)

Old 12-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by oo zone
...Tomorrow we're taking the car for PPI...
Kindly post the results of the inspection and other details as this subject is brought up quite often.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
oo zone (12-12-2019), Sean W (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagRag
The battery powers the car. This car has been engineered to suck that power away more quickly than others due to all the control modules / electronics etc. (Exercise that round thing above your shoulders a little more often.)
How did they do that?

Do you mean the 1000 watt stereo, that wont power on if you are low on power or while cranking, and turn off automatically when battery is low.

What could they have done differently?

Last edited by Queen and Country; 12-03-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,211 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
Kindly post the results of the inspection and other details as this subject is brought up quite often.
+1

looking forward to your results and hopefully a happy purchase.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
NBCat (12-03-2019), oo zone (12-12-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

I have had all of the above in red happen to my car in under 57K miles. Not the best engineered / designed car for sure. And also needed two batteries in under three years.
OK great and we can start the data base with you. So you are 1 of approx. 54,000 X150 cars with these issues. Let the count begin.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,303 Likes on 3,147 Posts

I have had all of the above in red happen to my car in under 57K miles.....
Originally Posted by jagtoes
OK great and we can start the data base with you. So you are 1 of approx. 54,000 X150 cars with these issues. Let the count begin.
Of these, I have TPMS issues. Every other issue I've not seen in 70k.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...IVmYG4RmN29PUw Battery @~7,500 miles (2 years old), battery @~17,400 miles (3 years old)

Quick Reply: Still thinking about 2010 XK