XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

storing the kitten

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default storing the kitten

Hi everyone,

Due to relocation, my kitten (4.2L XK Convertible) will be going into storage. My family will drive it occasionally (every 6 months or so)..

So I'm looking for a car cover and tips on how to store it..

Should I get a standard car cover (that does not fit nicely), or better to invest some money and get a custom made cover ? I'm situated in the Netherlands, so getting one from the USA is costly (taxes and import).

For the battery, I can put in the charger as 220V will be supplied for the car, so keeping the battery up to date.. but does that even make sense if its not going to be driven in quite some time.. ?

Do I leave her on her feet? or put it on blocks ? anything else I need to take care of?

(Stored in barn, should not go below 0 degrees (C), but its not fully controlled environment..)

Old 12-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd say get a good cover to keep the dust off. Add a fuel stabilizer additive (in a full tank) to keep the gas fresh, max tire pressure if you decide to leave the wheels on. I would consider disconnecting the battery... keep it on a tender outside the car. Steel wool in the exhaust tips to keep critters out. Many people recommend naptha moth ***** to keep critters out of the engine bay and wheel wells. I would also put a desiccant bucket inside the car to keep the moisture down in the interior. I'm sure you will get many other ideas here as well.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Buy a CTEK charger at a minimum. Max tire inflation and fuel stabilizer. Your family can adjust the pressure before they drive the car and the CTEK will keep the car at 100%.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome to live in Florida. All year round driving sure stacks the miles