XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strong buzz sound from center console 07 XK

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong buzz sound from center console 07 XK

Hello, I'm wondering if it normal to have a strong humming sound from the center console. I realize there is a lot of electronics behind there. Anyone have issues with loud buzzing.humming sounds?

I'm taking the beauty in next week for a loose sound coming fro mthe right side of the cabin ,sounds like a speaker or something loose about the glove compartment.

Before I bring this center console noise up to the dealer, just want to check to see if other owners of 2007 XK have had loud buzzing/humming sounds from the center console.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Default Dealer visit on rattling sound update

Update....I took the 07-XK to the dealer. I had the tech ride with me to hear the rattling coming from above or behind the glove box. Since rattles, I'm told are not covered under warranty, I paid a nominal charge to have them look around. They removed the glove compartment and said there was a lot of foam behind stating the previous owner must have had the same rattling issue. They would charge me 1000 dollars to remove the dashboard and do more probing with no guarantee's. I will have to get use to the rattle, loose sound behing the glove compartment

Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's crazy. Hope you find it, cause that would be something that would drive me crazy listening to.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:13 AM

Hi, StrayCat, I have an 07 XKR and also hear that buzzing sound from the center console when I get into the car but haven't yet started the ignition. I took it to the dealer and they said that was normal. Not sure if I buy that, but I cannot hear the buzz once the car is started (I'm sure it's still there, but I can't hear it over the cat's growl, and it's not coming through the speakers, so I don't hear it when the audio system is on), so I've decided it's not worth having them dig through the console at my expense.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A buzzing or ticking type sound can often be the climate control sensor pump.
My other car does this for a couple of minutes when first started until it decides how to set the CC.

Does it only happen with power on?
Does it stop if CC is turned off?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a buzzing/vibrating sound coming from behind the glove box. It increased in volume as the audio volume increased. They replaced the tweeters but this did not fix the issue. They ultimately fixed the issue by re-appying the insulation foam around the ducting for the AC/heat vent.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrahamS
A buzzing or ticking type sound can often be the climate control sensor pump.
My other car does this for a couple of minutes when first started until it decides how to set the CC.

Does it only happen with power on?
Does it stop if CC is turned off?
I noticed a sound behind my dash. The dealer indicated that it is something to do with climate, temperature or air circulation. The noise is there as soon as the car "wakes up". I sat in the car waiting for everything to shutdown after turning it off. It goes away after a few minutes.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Thanks to all for your responses. Yes ,the buzz is strong when the car wakes up or when I turn off the car.

I will keep an ear open to see if if strong during the ride.

On otther issue....rattle is still somewhere behind the glove compartment and that's loud. Driving me crazy!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This won't help you at all, but the discussion reminded me of a noisy steering pump I had in my Alfa Romeo back in the 1990's. My technician said, "Turn up your radio. Problem solved!" *sigh*

Are you sure it's the glove box? Did you have the leaking a/c hose replaced? Supposedly that caused a noise. The buzzing I have in my 2007 is a humming at 45/50 mph (about 2500 rpm), which comes from the catalytic converters. For about $1000 I can have "cat bands" put on that will eliminate the noise.

Ah, the trials/tribulations of the Jaguar ownership experience!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WldCat
This won't help you at all, but the discussion reminded me of a noisy steering pump I had in my Alfa Romeo back in the 1990's. My technician said, "Turn up your radio. Problem solved!" *sigh*

Are you sure it's the glove box? Did you have the leaking a/c hose replaced? Supposedly that caused a noise. The buzzing I have in my 2007 is a humming at 45/50 mph (about 2500 rpm), which comes from the catalytic converters. For about $1000 I can have "cat bands" put on that will eliminate the noise.

Ah, the trials/tribulations of the Jaguar ownership experience!
-Please excuse the thread jack- How sure are you that your noise is related to your cats? There is a VIN range with rear differential issues (TSB JTB001753 JAN 10) that can cause a "growl" or "hum" from the rear of the car at a similar speed. Does it seem related to engine rpm or road speed? If you put the car in neutral and coast does the noise go away immediately?

I guess we will hope for the cat problem rather than diff since the diff is > $1000. (unless you still are under warranty)

Old 07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by straycat
Update....I took the 07-XK to the dealer. I had the tech ride with me to hear the rattling coming from above or behind the glove box. Since rattles, I'm told are not covered under warranty, I paid a nominal charge to have them look around.
So, let me get this straight, a $10,000.00 Hyundai develops a rattle and it gets diagnosed and fixed for free, but rattles eminating from the cockpit of a $90,000.00 premium automobile are NOT COVERED under the warranty?

Geez, most of the brand new cars I have ever bought produced a rattle at some point. The dealers ALWAYS fixed the rattles under the warranty.

I don't understand. Is this really true?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I don't have a buzzing of any kind in my 07. No rattles either, thank God.

However, I do have a hum that I first thought were these loud Perelli's, but I'm not so sure. I am gonna take it by a dealer and let them ride with me and give me their opinion.

The hum does not rise and fall with the speed of the car - it is more constant.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Yes, I was detailing the car one night and when I was waxing the right side of the hood I notice it was not firm and made a loose noise whe nI rub over that section of the hood. I went to the other side of the car and it was firm. I lifted the hood and put some tape on the right side latch and .....magic, that was it. The hood was loose and rattling. The rattling sounded like it was behind the console behind the glove compartment. No more noise or rattle since I did my cheap
unsophisticated fix.