Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stupid question about the automatic on my XKR-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Stupid question about the automatic on my XKR-S

REALLY dumn question. I have owned infiniti's before splurging on this super high end car (its not a lambo but its still exotic!!). I am dying to hear the active exhaust in this car - I have heard you need to put it in S mode in order to do so. Does the automatic transmission turn OFF when you do so, are you required to use the paddle shifters? OR is that only when you turn the track DSC on? Somebody please help - my jag dealership did not give me very many pointers on this (likely because they do not sell many XKR's). I just know that on the G37s coupe I also own, the auto stays on even in S mode.

The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (11-14-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

In your car it'll stay in automatic mode UNLESS you put it in S, turn on Dynamic Mode, then use a paddle shifter. Your center LCD screen will switch to big numbers (a la those you see in Rally cars) and there the gears will stay. Even at redline.

If it's just in Dynamic mode or S, the paddles will override, but then in 30 seconds (I think it's 30) it reverts back to auto.

Does that help?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Here is my understanding (this was confirmed at R academy last weekend). Only thing sport mode (S) does is quicken the gearshifts. If u put it in S, it will be in sport auto and gearshifts won't occur til redline. If you hold the right paddle for a second or so, it will then go into manual sport (gearshifts with paddles) and will not up shift even when u hit the rev limiter.
Dynamic mode (push checkered flag button)-.will tighten the suspension, make the throttle more sensitive, and open the active exhaust (doesn't matter whether u are in S or D)
Putting it in trac dsc only raises the threshold for traction control to intervene. You can also completely turn dsc off.
Hope that clarifies things

Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Octurbo
Here is my understanding (this was confirmed at R academy last weekend). Only thing sport mode (S) does is quicken the gearshifts. If u put it in S, it will be in sport auto and gearshifts won't occur til redline. If you hold the right paddle for a second or so, it will then go into manual sport (gearshifts with paddles) and will not up shift even when u hit the rev limiter.
Dynamic mode (push checkered flag button)-.will tighten the suspension, make the throttle more sensitive, and open the active exhaust (doesn't matter whether u are in S or D)
Putting it in trac dsc only raises the threshold for traction control to intervene. You can also completely turn dsc off.
Hope that clarifies things

So what your telling me is...that when i was going 25mph with everything on regular and in D mode, and hit the gas and it flew to 70mph and i felt really happy....that there is alot more happy to come if I adjust a few things???

Let me get this straight. If i put it in S mode, and hit the checkered flag, I still DO NOT have to use the paddle shifters?? Thanks total novice and I want to do the class ASAP to better understand jaguar .

Loth

Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lothar52
So what your telling me is...that when i was going 25mph with everything on regular and in D mode, and hit the gas and it flew to 70mph and i felt really happy....that there is alot more happy to come if I adjust a few things???

Let me get this straight. If i put it in S mode, and hit the checkered flag, I still DO NOT have to use the paddle shifters?? Thanks total novice and I want to do the class ASAP to better understand jaguar .

Loth
Correct- S mode + dynamic mode (checkered flag) is still in auto mode. It will remain in auto mode unless you start pulling the paddles.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Correct- S mode + dynamic mode (checkered flag) is still in auto mode. It will remain in auto mode unless you start pulling the paddles.
Very Good! How have you been driving your xkr-s? Any problems so far?? Do you believe that this setting is applicable in normal daily driving? So far I have been just doing D. I did try S once but got a little nervous as I wasnt sure about the paddles so I switched it back to D. Its a amazingly smooth ride in D - feels like a nice sedan. Is there any mode that disengages the automatic transmission? Had mine for a month - 50 miles so far.

Not driving it much as I dont want to get a chip on the paint before protecting it. Got the gorgeous Italian Racing Red (cherry red) which is the most beautiful red ive EVER seen on a car. Looking into getting a professional waxing done and then clear bra the entire front end, lower side panels, and rear bumper/rear sides to protect it from rocks.

Loth

Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is my understanding (this was confirmed at R academy last weekend).
Octurbo, I was at the R Academy last week also. Did we meet? My track day was Friday.

Mike

Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Very Good! How have you been driving your xkr-s? Any problems so far?? Do you believe that this setting is applicable in normal daily driving? So far I have been just doing D. I did try S once but got a little nervous as I wasnt sure about the paddles so I switched it back to D. Its a amazingly smooth ride in D - feels like a nice sedan. Is there any mode that disengages the automatic transmission? Had mine for a month - 50 miles so far.

Not driving it much as I dont want to get a chip on the paint before protecting it. Got the gorgeous Italian Racing Red (cherry red) which is the most beautiful red ive EVER seen on a car. Looking into getting a professional waxing done and then clear bra the entire front end, lower side panels, and rear bumper/rear sides to protect it from rocks.

Loth
No matter what mode you are in, the moment you pull a paddle, you have disengaged auto. However, when in D mode, the car reverts back to auto after a brief period of time (I think it's just a few seconds,) if no additional paddle pulls have occurred. The exception to this is when you have pulled a paddle and then come to a dead stop. When you do this, the car stays in manual, no matter how long you are stopped.

When in S mode, a single paddle pull will disengage auto, and it will stay disengaged, unless and until you hold the right-hand paddle for a couple of seconds, which will then cause auto to kick back in.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

did you not get the owners handbook?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 AM

Loth
I really like my car so far- no problems. If you don't want to use the paddles, I would drive the car in dynamic mode and D most of the time if I were u. For really spirited driving or the track, put it in S (it won't shift till redline) and dynamic mode. I usually drive in dynamic + S and use the paddles, unless I have my kids in the car and use D/auto without dynamic mode.
Start driving your car! It's a great daily driver. These xkr's at the R academy are driven really hard at the track throughout the year and they said there have been no issues with the cars!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by mjsammon
Octurbo, I was at the R Academy last week also. Did we meet? My track day was Friday.

Mike
I was there Fri as well. Were u in the intro or advanced class? I was in the intro class (my name is James). We got lucky with the weather. I was really impressed with this course - it was first class with great instructors and a lot of track time. I have been to another well known racing school previously and this course is great!
If anyone who qualifies for this free course hasn't gone yet, u must go. For others who haven't been to racing school, spend the $1800 and go! Trust me, it is worth it when considering the fun and knowledge of driving u gain.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
I thought it best to ask the question on these knowledgeable boards considering the details they may be gained from an experienced driver of jaguar cars.

Question sean - I note you are lookin for a XKR to modify. Is it SPIRES (?) that is a well known modifier of Jag's in the UK? I dont think they are in the US. Not sure who does an exhaust or tuner modifcation in the US.

Loth

Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Due to the complexity of these settings, it's probably best to look at your owners manual. Heck, look at the wide range of contradictory answers (some probably incorrect) that you have gotten in this thread! I had similar questions about 4.2 XKRs on this board, which were ultimately answered incorrectly. I don't blame those who were just trying to help, but these different settings have a lot of nuances that are easy to forget and are laid out in the owners manual quite well. Good luck, and enjoy the XKR-S!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I was there Fri as well. Were u in the intro or advanced class? I was in the intro class (my name is James). We got lucky with the weather. I was really impressed with this course - it was first class with great instructors and a lot of track time. I have been to another well known racing school previously and this course is great!
If anyone who qualifies for this free course hasn't gone yet, u must go. For others who haven't been to racing school, spend the $1800 and go! Trust me, it is worth it when considering the fun and knowledge of driving u gain.
James, I was in the intro class. I believe my wife sat next to you on the ride back to the hotel -- I was in the front passenger seat.

To echo your comments to the rest of the group, this course is really worth the time and money!!! I cannot emphasize this enough. The amount of information I learned was priceless. Go if you get the chance.

Mike

Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by mjsammon
James, I was in the intro class. I believe my wife sat next to you on the ride back to the hotel -- I was in the front passenger seat.

To echo your comments to the rest of the group, this course is really worth the time and money!!! I cannot emphasize this enough. The amount of information I learned was priceless. Go if you get the chance.

Mike
Mike,
Yes, I remember talking to you and your wife in the van ride home. Nice meeting you and maybe I'll see u in an advanced class one of these days!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
Took the XKR-s out for a spin - only had it a month with 48 miles on it before I went out this weekend and drove around for 30 miles. The owners manual is worthless...only talks about a REGULAR XK - in fact its for a XK!! Does not say anything about the active exhaust. Nonetheless I did go around in D mode with Dynamic mode on. I thought it was more aggressive but I never got it over 70mph due to the roads and not having it protected (clear bra). Felt wonderful, the stereo is still awful (much better in my infiniti and even nissan maxima!)....but the exhaust note in the jag is ya need to bring that smile to your face (that and the amazing torque at 2500 rpm)!!!

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 11-05-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I just got out of an Infiniti and I can tell you the Alpine system in the Jag kicks *** compared to the shitty Bose of Infiniti (don't get me wrong, I loved my G). As a first time Jag owner myself I can't help but stress how helpful reading the owner's manual was... Good luck with your S.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Additional info about clear bra

Loth, I read where you mentioned getting a clear bra for your XKR-S. I just got that done in Columbus on my Jag XK Coupe and will gladly share details with you about price, place, etc. Call me at (614) 439-4995. Snide72

Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

the stereo is still awful (much better in my infiniti and even nissan maxima!)
Loth
I think they all need a little dialing in to sound great ...
hopefully this will help,

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...results-64072/

Bruce

Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Question sean - I note you are lookin for a XKR to modify. Is it SPIRES (?) that is a well known modifier of Jag's in the UK? I dont think they are in the US. Not sure who does an exhaust or tuner modifcation in the US.

Loth

Loth, they're a well known outfit for these cars, I spoke to a guy at Spires not long ago about coil overs and brake packages, they know their stuff, but as with anything today, it's all about the sale and a big invoice unfortunately.
They've modified an XK-RS putting in a Quaife ATB diff, custom coil overs etc, even more of a focused drivers car according to the article I read, if I get time I'll root it out and post it here.

Quick Reply: Stupid question about the automatic on my XKR-S