XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tips for Improving XKR Ownership Experience!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tips for Improving XKR Ownership Experience!

Here's another rant from my little foray into the the book store. As a car nut I usually look at EVO, all the BMW and Porsche mags and now the Jag Mag.

One of the things that make owning a toy fun is the community and the media available catering to you. So when I've had bimmers I have like 3-4 bimmer mags plus the coverage in general mags and several active forums to top it off.

We however only have 1 mag and 1 active form (point me to another if you know of one). This means if you want to frequent the mag stand or web you have to look at OTHER brands/models.

What can we do to improve the level of participation and ownership experience? Well as I was leaving B&N I noticed a guy getting into an 07/08 Black XKR! We chatted and he said he's on this forum but haven't been here in a while. No mods, loves his car after 4 years. Said he's looking for a pure sports car to compliment - Exige, R8 etc. Anyhow, as we're leaving I follow him for a bit. What a great looking car - and his was filthy at the time. Aggressive, sensuous and just perfect...

Then it dawned on me. Driving behind and next to him dramatically increased the level of appreciation I have for my new big cat! What does this tell me? We need to have more meets!

1) Any of you regions have local roundups once per month? We should begin putting one together in Dallas

2) Is there an annual meet. The Viper guys do it and it was great. The NSX guys do it as they alternate locations each year. BMW M Fest in Vegas each year. And the 928 guys do it. The Nissan Z guys as well as the BMW Z folks do it! Cars as rare as ours and especially with as little media and web forum coverage should definitely have an annual meet. We may have 30-50 cars instead of 150+ as the other cars might. But that would be plenty fun!!!

Any interest in organizing such a meet? All we have to do is pick a location, get a group rate on a hotel. Plan some drives, a detail day/session and any tech time we'd like. Vendors may show up as well if they'd like (although we keep mentioning how the aftermarket doesn't do much for us). I'm sure my Jag dealer in Plano would love to host and may even offer some concessions or tech/service specials.

Thoughts?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Good idea - although it may be more applicable on a local level.

Jaguar Club of North America does something like this every year don't they? It isn't just XK's...

Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, our production numbers won't put us close enough to have any real meets and while that's 'good' it's also kinda sad. However, up here in Seattle there is an 'exotic car meet' every Saturday at Redmond Town Center mall where we take over a parking lot and people show up in all sorts of stuff. Usually a number of Ferraris and Lambos, a few Jags/rolls/AMs, and a plethora of other fine machinery. It's held every Saturday that it's not raining. Those sorts of things happen in other municipalities on a fairly regular basis. Try checking out 6speedonline.com in your local area forum to see what's happening there.

Also, a few of my local XK/XKR brethren should show up so that I'm not the only one!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 PM

I agree on not having loads at a weekly meet in a local. But 3-4 would be good. Also the national meet would get a decent turn out. Wasn't aware of the annual Jag meet...

Do tell...

Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that's a great idea! I know there are at least 4 xk owners on here that live around Dallas. I would love to talk to other owners about our fabulous cars and exchange info/tips.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I believe Dan at Nalley jag used to sponsor get-together's on Saturday mornings at Nalley Jaguar in Roswell, GA. As we know Dan is not there anymore but this may still be possible.

Will check with Nalley Jaguar. I will also check with Hennessey Jag in Gwinnett and see what's possible.

For the Atlanta Jag gals/guys, is there a preference for location - Roswell or Gwinnett Place Mall area?

Old 04-19-2012, 07:58 PM

Any thing doing in Dallas at Park Place? They are #1 in US. Perhaps I'll approach them about hosting/sponsoring as well.