XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tire pressure monitor issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,170 Likes on 3,393 Posts

You need specialized professional help, but who are you going to call? Ghostbusters! I'll bet they'll find the ghost of Lucas Electric...

Anyone other than Richzak always keep their car on a CTEK or other battery maintainer? Weird stuff happens with a weak battery. I suspect one or more of Richzak's aftermarket sensors might be the problem.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
My car would not start one morning, and I had to use my portable battery charger to get it to turn over. The battery is less than 6 months old, and it hasn't happened again. And by the way, each time I attempted to start the car when the battery was dead, the windshield wipers went on and stayed on until the next time I tried starting it. I'm not quite sure what's going on.
This is typical of trying to run the car without sufficient voltage from the battery...even with the boost from the charger.

You should fully charge the battery with the charger, not just start it. If it is not an automatic charger, for a dead battery, the number of hours you should charge the battery should be roughly 100/(amp-hour rating of the charger) .

The following users liked this post:
tberg (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 900 Posts

Ted - either that or "C-Tek" your XK. Ralph

tberg (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
You need specialized professional help, but who are you going to call? Ghostbusters! I'll bet they'll find the ghost of Lucas Electric...

Anyone other than Richzak always keep their car on a CTEK or other battery maintainer? Weird stuff happens with a weak battery. I suspect one or more of Richzak's aftermarket sensors might be the problem.
Could be Stuart...I had one TPMS sensors replaced, ( the one in the wheel) but still have the problem.

I plan on getting another reading soon, if that doesn't pinpoint the problem, I'll follow WHITEXKR's idea and have the jag dealer run a diagnostic check, to see what they find. It's just an annoying problem.

I keep my 4 vehicles on the CTE's all the time. Might be overkill, but I never worry about electrical issues or related problems. I have them all set up for a quick connect and disconnect that takes all of 5 secs at best to plug or unplug the connection. Now it's like brushing your teeth everday, it's just habit to connect them.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,170 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Richard,

I suspected the cause to be your aftermarket sensors since I know that you always keep your cars on CTEK chargers, which minimize low voltage gremlins. But the batteries molded into the TPMS sensors are not affected by your car battery and it's possible that one or more of those sensor batteries is weak or dead. You don't know how long those aftermarket sensors were sitting on the vendor's shelf before you bought them.

I presume that you still have your OEM Selena wheels. If so, put them back on and see if you still have the TPMS fault. If the fault is gone, have your Discount Tire shop replace the 4 POS aftermarket sensors in your Braelin wheels with the 4 OEM sensors from your Selena wheels. Otherwise, I'd go to the Jaguar dealer for diagnosis and repair.

I know you're familiar with this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-120500/

Good luck, and keep us posted.

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

richzak (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Just when it was safe to go out into the water......
Drove home from a wedding at midnight, last night, enjoying the 6th day of no tire pressure monitoring warnings on a warm Los Angeles evening; everything is wonderful. Go out to my car, this morning, and within 10 seconds of starting the car I received a warning for the front passenger tire. Within the next five minutes, I received warnings on each of the other tires in a clockwise motion. Received one more warning a little later at a stoplight, and I turned my steering wheel (habit from ABS/Traction control warnings on my 2002 XKR), and the warning disappeared immediately! And didn't come back the whole day. Go figure!?

Old 08-18-2015, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Richard,

I suspected the cause to be your aftermarket sensors since I know that you always keep your cars on CTEK chargers, which minimize low voltage gremlins. But the batteries molded into the TPMS sensors are not affected by your car battery and it's possible that one or more of those sensor batteries is weak or dead. You don't know how long those aftermarket sensors were sitting on the vendor's shelf before you bought them.

I presume that you still have your OEM Selena wheels. If so, put them back on and see if you still have the TPMS fault. If the fault is gone, have your Discount Tire shop replace the 4 POS aftermarket sensors in your Braelin wheels with the 4 OEM sensors from your Selena wheels. Otherwise, I'd go to the Jaguar dealer for diagnosis and repair.

I know you're familiar with this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-120500/

Good luck, and keep us posted.

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart
I certainly realize that the TPMS and CTEK have nothing to do with each other.

I had given thought to the replacement of the Jag OEM TPMS off the Selena wheels and may do just what you suggested. My cost would be about $70.00.

I need to go to Discount Tire with the Jag XKR and have them scan each TPMS with their scanner to see if any of the TPMS are down in sending the signal.

Then I need to find out from the jag dealer what the cost is to run a diagnostic check on the car.

Thanks for the suggestion and thought. Greatly appreciated.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

Well....today's adventure with the XKR produced no tire warnings, however, I had a new quirky thing happen all day long. When I put the car into reverse, the front driver's side parking sensor believed I was going to hit something iminently, as it gave a constant beeptone and would not stop until the car was put back in drive (and I drove forward for a few seconds) or park. On the display, it lit up the left most part of the front bumper. It happened when I pulled out of my driveway about 8am this morning, all during the day, and tonight when I got home from work at about 10pm. If it's anything like all of the other warnings, my bet is it will be gone in the morning, but who knows?

Old 08-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

The TPMS for a 2009 Jaguar XKR comes in 2 frequency's.....315 MHZ and 433.92 MHZ

What is the correct frequency for the 2009 Jaguar XKR here in the USA.

Mine are 315 MHZ and I am questioning whether or not I was sold the wrong frequentcy.

Can anyone help. I see the OEM Jaguar Part # is: C2Z15016

Answered my own question: 315 MHZ for the USA.

I went out to my garage and pulled my old Jaguar OEM Selena Wheels out of the wheel boxes and sure enough 315 MHZ.

Attached Thumbnails Tire pressure monitor issue-dscn1293.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 08-24-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Well for a month,now, I haven't had any of the tire pressure warnings, but have had continuous front parking aid sensor warnings for everyday of that month....'til two days ago when the same thing started happening; front right tire low pressure warning then cycles through all four wheels, except this time it's counterclockwise instead of clockwise as before. Warnings go off after a few minutes of driving and come back at random. What would a Jaguar be like without electrical gremlins?

Old 09-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Okay, I'm sorry to be Captain Obvious here, but when this happens to me, I fill all 4 tires to 1lb over using this:

http://amzn.com/B00R1LP17S

And the problem goes away.

The following 2 users liked this post by carealtor:
1 of 19 (09-14-2015), Big Otter (09-24-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Similar issue here on my 07 xkr, when I picked up after spooling up last years Pirelli's the tire shop indicated that the rear tpm's were going off and it would reset after 50 miles or so. 500 miles later still flashing between the two rears. I told them to only put 29 pounds in the rear tires to improve tire wear and figured the whole time that was why they were popping off. Finally got tired of them flashing so I pumped them up to 33 lbs and after 200 miles so far it is happy.
Thought I had it under control at 33lbs but not so much. Two rear TPMS were going off. Pumped all tires up to 35lbs all was well for a while and then the TPMS would start popping off on the two rears and right front. Pumped all up to 40lbs and so far all is well... will advise if this changes but for now maybe Captain Obvious is on to something.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

1 of 19,
I know of Captain Obvious' trick as that's what I did after researching forum posts about it. And I thought it worked, however, my tires are all at 40psi and it just started doing it again. So maybe the solution is not quite so obvious.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

1 of 19,
I know of Captain Obvious' trick as that's what I did after researching forum posts about it. And I thought it worked, however, my tires are all at 40psi and it just started doing it again. So maybe the solution is not quite so obvious.
yeah... I know, it never is with Jags. But I'm hopeful that 40psi resolves mine as the ride is again stiffer than I would like. Dang thing rides just like a sports car.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,182 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Over-inflation is a meager band-aid on a problem that should be remedied properly. If the 33-35 PSI doesn't keep the problem at bay, then fix the actual problem by replacing senders, antennas, transmitters or have the unit reprogrammed.
These cars had millions of dollars of research done on them to have the proper tire pressure to work with the suspension. Pump 'em up and all that goes blooey. Tires also wear more in the center area when over-inflated, which will cause premature tire wear and possible damage/failure.
I won't take a $115,000 car and "over-inflate". That's just too ghetto.

Deabs (05-04-2023)
Old 09-15-2015, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Over-inflation is a meager band-aid on a problem that should be remedied properly. If the 33-35 PSI doesn't keep the problem at bay, then fix the actual problem by replacing senders, antennas, transmitters or have the unit reprogrammed.
Tires also wear more in the center area when over-inflated, which will cause premature tire wear and possible damage/failure.
I won't take a $115,000 car and "over-inflate". That's just too ghetto.

I did not have 3 tpms components all go bad at the same time. Absolutely over inflation is not the answer. Right now it's just trial and error to try and resolve. My intent is to run at 40lbs for a couple hundred miles and slowly back down to 32-35ish to see if it will take. My tpms never went off with my Blizzaks at 32lbs, my Pirelli's last year at 32lbs never had an issue. If the little bit of salt the car was put through last winter is causing corrosion issue's why no problem until the day I took my Blizzaks off and put my Pirelli's back on?

Old 09-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

After more than a month of no sensor warning, they came back with a vengeance about 5 days ago. It first started periodically during the day, but by the second day, it stayed on virtually all day long changing tires frequently. I checked all four tires just to make sure, and all were at 40 psi. Yesterday afternoon, I deflated the tires below 30psi and then reinflated to 42psi. When I left my house this morning, warnings came on immediately. After driving for about 20 minutes, warnings all disappeared and have been off all day. I just don't get it.

My front parking aid sensor, however, is still believing it has hit something and beeps incessantly when in reverse. That has now been happening for 4 weeks. Ghosts of Lucas' past.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

After more than a month of no sensor warning, they came back with a vengeance about 5 days ago. It first started periodically during the day, but by the second day, it stayed on virtually all day long changing tires frequently. I checked all four tires just to make sure, and all were at 40 psi. Yesterday afternoon, I deflated the tires below 30psi and then reinflated to 42psi. When I left my house this morning, warnings came on immediately. After driving for about 20 minutes, warnings all disappeared and have been off all day. I just don't get it. My front parking aid sensor, however, is still believing it has hit something and beeps incessantly when in reverse. That has now been happening for 4 weeks. Ghosts of Lucas' past.
I feel your pain. I have now slowly lowered my tire pressure over last week or so from 40 to 35psi and so far it has took with no alarms for last 100 miles or so. I will update as I want to get to 33psi. Will advise.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

This morning, as soon as I put car in drive after backing out of my driveway, warning went back on. After 5 minutes of driving, warning went away and has not been back in about 30 miles of driving.

It just makes you nuts!

Old 09-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,182 Likes on 3,104 Posts

My warning goes off (disappears) when it rains, so I believe that some signal somewhere isn't quite strong enough to transmit through dry air, but has enough strength to make it through 'moist' air.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitor issue