XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPMS System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Default TPMS System Fault

So how many of you folks have had to replace the TPMS Module due to a System Fault so far?

Someone ran in to my car in a parking garage a few months ago so I had the left fender and front bumper replaced/painted. The car was at the body shop for nearly a month and the battery went dead (of course). A few minutes after I left the shop I got the big orange triangle warning on the dash with the TPMS System Fault. I figured it was the normal electrical gremlins but, it wouldn't reset after the 10 min drive above 18mph or after disconnecting the battery, or after pulling the fuse for 1/2 an hour. It could be something the shop forgot to connect but, I haven't been able to find anything so far.

I took the car up to the tire shop and had them test the TPMS sensors in the wheels and they were all communicating just fine. I checked fuse 2 (and the rest of them just to be sure and they were all fine). I checked the wires going to the receiver and the module - all fine. I checked the initiators up front and both were properly attached - I pulled them off and checked them with a meter and they both read 1.8 Ohms, which is pretty standard for a coil (I don't know what these specifically are supposed to read though).

The wiring harness to the initiators is secure but, in the drawing it looks like there might be two plugs right behind the bumper cover that I can't see without removing the cover. The wires and connectors are all in good condition ( I removed the electrical tape and did a visual - no visible damage from what I can see. And there are no shorts in the connectors or to ground.

The first thing the dealer said was "It's probably the TPMS module (the most expensive part of the system, I'm sure). I have an appointment to have them run a diagnostic on Thursday.

I'm fairly certain the sensors are the stock ones (it's a 2008 model with stock wheels) so the batteries are possibly starting to go but, they don't transmit remaining battery life so, there's no way to tell for sure without replacing them. Aftermarket ones are around $60 each - stock ones, probably twice that.

I'll check the rear initiators before my appointment. Does anyone have any other ideas or things to check before it goes in to the shop?

Last edited by Gray XK; 06-23-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Same problem here after having new tires mounted and new TPM sensors installed from OE Wheels that were to be pre programmed for the 2009 Jaguar XKR. The frequency is 315Mhz. My light is intermittent. I had no problems whatsoever until I replaced the TPMS with the new ones. Battery life on the TPM sensors is expected to last 7-8 years.

I checked my tire pressure yesterday, went up 2 lbs over recommended pressures which is 30 PSI front and 32/33 PSI rear. The fault light went out, then after about 20 minutes of driving the fault light came back on. Blinks for 18 seconds then turns solid.

I have yet to go back to the tire dealer to have the TPMS's scanned. I know the TPMS module costs about $160.00/$170.00 and can be found on just about any Jaguar parts website.

Keep us informed on what your dealer finds out and please give us some insight. We are not the only persons with this problem. I have consulted the Jaguar Service manual pages 250 to 269 or so, and they have lots of info.

Problem is, everything worked fine until I installed the new TPMS's. I purchased mine at OEWheels.com

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...T#.U6im-vldWao

Last edited by richzak; 06-23-2014 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gray XK (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 PM

I checked at the dealer and the module was $265 (forgot to check on the price of the receiver but, i'm guessing that's cheaper). I'd buy it online but from what I've been able to find, the module has to be programmed by the dealer. It's pretty easy to get to though - it's mounted right behind the fuse box behind the back seat.

If it's not the module or a loose connection, it's probably the batteries getting low. But it would have to be at least two of them or it would just be the standard low pressure warning (or Unable to Read Sensor), not the System Fault. I'm still wondering if the body shop forgot to plug something in (it's a bit suspicious that two batteries would go low at the same time but, it did sit there without being driven for a nearly a month).

Old 06-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Does anyone know if you have to disconnect anything else besides the initiators when you remove the front bumper cover?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

my 12 xk vert is now at the dealer for the third time in six weeks for the tpms fault warning. The tpms module was replaced two weeks ago and the fault light came on about one week later. it then went off for about 5 days when it came on again. Then I got a red warning along with it that the left front wheel indicator could not be located. Shortly after that both warnings went out. I made an appt for this morning and the warning light went off. It came on again yesterday. My service writer checked in this afternoon and said that they were in contact with Jaguar North America but had no answer yet. They still don't know what the problem is as of 4pm PDT today.

I will keep you posted as to what happens. By the way I omitted that they redid the software on it about two months ago. Anybody else having the same issues and results?

The following 3 users liked this post by ralphwg:
Gray XK (06-23-2014), richzak (06-23-2014), Schwabe (06-24-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
my 12 xk vert is now at the dealer for the third time in six weeks for the tpms fault warning. The tpms module was replaced two weeks ago and the fault light came on about one week later. it then went off for about 5 days when it came on again. Then I got a red warning along with it that the left front wheel indicator could not be located. Shortly after that both warnings went out. I made an appt for this morning and the warning light went off. It came on again yesterday. My service writer checked in this afternoon and said that they were in contact with Jaguar North America but had no answer yet. They still don't know what the problem is as of 4pm PDT today.

I will keep you posted as to what happens. By the way I omitted that they redid the software on it about two months ago. Anybody else having the same issues and results?
Same problem here .....see post #2

Keep us posted since yours is already in the shop for this.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg

Good info! Did the software update solve the problem temporarily? And do you still have the stock wheels and sensors installed?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

As to your first question: No the software update did NOT solve the problem. That was the second thing they tried, before replacing the tpms control module.

Second question: No, the stock 19" caravella wheels were swapped out for chromed 19" caravella wheels about 18 months ago. They did not change the sensors. Cal Chrome advised at the time that the sensors and the tpms system would adjust to the new wheels in about 5 - 10 miles. They did and I had no problems with the tpms until earlier this spring.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
Gray XK (06-23-2014), richzak (06-23-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray XK
Does anyone know if you have to disconnect anything else besides the initiators when you remove the front bumper cover?
Workshop manual says just 2 connectors, which appear to both be on the LH side. Full procedure is:

Remove the radiator splash shield.
Remove the headlamps.
Release the front of the fender splash shield.
Remove the 4 Torx screws.
Repeat the above procedure for the other side.
Remove the front bumper cover (this step requires the aid of another technician).
Remove the 12 bolts.
Release the 3 clips.
Disconnect the 2 electrical connectors.

Gray XK (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

I have just had new tires and wheels fitted used the original sensors but the tire guy damaged one while installing one tire, they installed a new one at their cost, now Im showing a problem and Ive put on 150 miles. ,taking it back to the tire shop they say they can fix it we will see. Bernie

Gray XK (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Workshop manual says just 2 connectors, which appear to both be on the LH side.
Perfect. Doesn't seem like the body shop did anything wrong then.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

I have the same TPMS sensor, front left come on my XF intermittently. Switching between cannot monitor TPMS sensor in front left and TMPS module not available error.
Both TPMS sensor and module have been replaced, software update was done, still came back. I am a little leary it might be a low battery issue. Our XF is not on the charger as often as my XKR-S. It seems to come on at the beginning of a trip and not later. Meaning after we drove long enough for the battery to charge fully it has not come back on despite it came on 7-8 times in the beginning of a trip.

Just observing it now more in regards to WHEN it comes on.

So ralph, I have EXACTLY the same issue you have in my XF, same tire, same randomness, same repair procedure ... no answer.

After everything was done and it came back I dropped it off at dealership and they could not find anything else. So right now I just live with it. i have plenty of photos taken off the errors because many times it was not on anymore when I drove it to the dealership.

Last edited by Schwabe; 06-24-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same issues here ...had a wreck in the front grill and headlight replaced ..in the shop for about a month and all of a sudden Tire pressure system fault..

Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by myboneyard2
same issues here ...had a wreck in the front grill and headlight replaced ..in the shop for about a month and all of a sudden Tire pressure system fault..
Did you ever get the issue resolved?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Spoke to the service writer today. I am getting the xk back tomorrow. Reason for the delay is I also had them look at a "groan" in the steering assembly, particularly in warm weather, when it moves up or down while on automatic. Result new steering wheel assembly being installed tomorrow morning.

As to the TPMS; on earlier visits they replaced the TPMS antenna and the control module. Now they have replaced all of the tire sensors. Result, whole system has now been replaced on a piecemeal basis over three service calls. Will let you know the result after a week or so of driving. As to the problem with you xk. I keep the xk on the battery tender and still got the TPMS fault warning message on a seemingly random basis. Never knew when it was going to go on or off.

richzak (06-24-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gray XK
Did you ever get the issue resolved?
no not yet...i did find that the TPMS antenna was just hanging and i snapped it back in place but the light remained on. today im going to try and pull the fuse for a couple minutes and see if that resets it and keeps it off.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Since I am having the same problem with new TPMS installed on 3-13-2014, I took my 2009 XKR to the tire installer. Today we scanned all four wheels and found out that the rear left side wheel TPMS was not reading. All other wheel TPMS was picked by the scanner.

I called the vendor OE Wheels in Sarasota, Fl, and they are sending a replacement at no cost. I will have to bear the expense of pulling off the tire and installing the new TPMS which will be $16.00.

It is my hope that this will resolve my problem.

I will report back. L.A. Wheel and Tire | OEM Factory Chrome/Winterchrome/Powder Coat Wheels was very helpful and easy to work with regarding the replacement. I spoke with representative Steve.

Hopefully I will get the new replacement sensor installed next week.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

I'm going to monitor this outcome as I ordered new wheels and TPMS units from the wheel vendor. There were no faults showing with my existing wheels and tires.
Hmmmm?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
I'm going to monitor this outcome as I ordered new wheels and TPMS units from the wheel vendor. There were no faults showing with my existing wheels and tires.
Hmmmm?
My suggestion.

The tire shop that mounts the tires and installs the TPMS should have a TPMS scanner. Be sure to scan the TPM sensors before installing them on the wheels so that you know they are sending a signal. Then you can install them without any worries.

They should be set for 315Mhz. The Jag telemetry will pick the signal after driving for 15 minutes at 15 MPH or more.

I will advise the outcome my situation. My new replacement sensor is in the mail to me from Florida.

Last edited by richzak; 06-25-2014 at 07:13 PM.
RedRider48 (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Took the car back yesterday they scanned all 4 wheels the front right is the one showing in the car as faulty this one was scanned as to high pressure so he adjusted the pressure. but still showing bad after 30 ml. will check in again after more miles. Bernie.

Thanks Steve will get back to you if it don't work.

Quick Reply: TPMS System Fault