XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPMS System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Took the car in for service today. Dealer said it was a faulty sensor on the right front wheel. Replaced the sensor (the Jaguar sensor is $140) but it is still showing the TPMS System Fault

They ran another diagnostic and said the right front initiator was faulty but, they didn't have it in stock. Going back on Wednesday to install the initiator.

I find it highly dubious that both the sensor and the initiator would go simultaneously but, it's only a $25 part so I might as well give them the benefit of the doubt.

According to the service advisor, regular $60 aftermarket sensors won't work because the 17 digit serial number from the sensor has to be programmed in to the TPMS Module.

Last edited by Gray XK; 06-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Jaguar dealer feed you a load of BS. Aftermarket sensors work fine and they are pre programmed to the 315MHz frequency. The idea that you MUST purchase a TPM Sensor from Jaguar is crazy.

Here's a link to pre-programmed TPM sensors for your car. This is just one vendor, there is a host (more listed) of them that have proper fitment for your 2008.

TPMS fits Jaguar XK Tire Pressure Sensors

VDO/Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor (SE53001) | 2008 Jaguar XK 8 Cylinders 4.2L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

Schrader/Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor (20090) | 2008 Jaguar XK 8 Cylinders 4.2L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

Once the aftermarket PRE PROGRAMMED TPM is installed and the car is driven for 10-15 minutes over 15 MPH, the Jaguar will re-learn the TPM sensors automatically.

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (07-06-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
Jaguar dealer feed you a load of BS. Aftermarket sensors work fine and they are pre programmed to the 315MHz frequency. The idea that you MUST purchase a TPM Sensor from Jaguar is crazy.

Here's a link to pre-programmed TPM sensors for your car. This is just one vendor, there is a host (more listed) of them that have proper fitment for your 2008.

TPMS fits Jaguar XK Tire Pressure Sensors

VDO/Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor (SE53001) | 2008 Jaguar XK 8 Cylinders 4.2L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

Schrader/Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor (20090) | 2008 Jaguar XK 8 Cylinders 4.2L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

Once the aftermarket PRE PROGRAMMED TPM is installed and the car is driven for 10-15 minutes over 15 MPH, the Jaguar will re-learn the TPM sensors automatically.
Yeah, I know the aftermarket ones work, I just didn't feel like getting in to an argument with the guy. The car was there and they were working on it so I figured I'd just spend the money and have it fixed. I'll be quite surprised if the initiator solves the problem but, that's what the diagnostic said. Guess I'll find out next week

Old 06-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gray XK
Yeah, I know the aftermarket ones work, I just didn't feel like getting in to an argument with the guy. The car was there and they were working on it so I figured I'd just spend the money and have it fixed. I'll be quite surprised if the initiator solves the problem but, that's what the diagnostic said. Guess I'll find out next week
At least you know that the dealer will be responsible for other mishaps, and they will guarentee their work. I suspect your dealing with Melloy?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:40 AM

At least you know that the dealer will be responsible for other mishaps, and they will guarentee their work. I suspect your dealing with Melloy?
Yup. They've been pretty easy to deal with though. The service advisor said he was going to deduct the diagnostic fee to keep it under $200, which I appreciate. A few extra bucks for original parts won't hurt me and, it's always nice to have a good relationship with the dealer - especially since they are the only Jaguar dealer in the area.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM

Well, the initiator was a no-go as I suspected. Dealer wanted to begin pulling the bumper off to replace the wiring harness so I put a stop to it. Shotgunning stuff on my dime isn't what I consider trouble shooting. I can replace the car piece by piece all by myself without the $100+/hour price tag. The service advisor threw a little passive-aggresive hissy fit, slammed his papers on his desk and said "The keys are in the car" so, I just took my car and left.

Quality customer service at it's finest.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Well, the initiator was a no-go as I suspected. Dealer wanted to begin pulling the bumper off to replace the wiring harness so I put a stop to it. Shotgunning stuff on my dime isn't what I consider trouble shooting. I can replace the car piece by piece all by myself without the $100+/hour price tag. The service advisor threw a little passive-aggresive hissy fit, slammed his papers on his desk and said "The keys are in the car" so, I just took my car and left.

Quality customer service at it's finest.
Good for you.....
It's so easy for these repair folks to spend our dime trouble shooting and throwing parts at the problem hoping one will work. It would be OK, if, in their judgement replaced a part, if failing to correct the issue, offer the customer the opportunity to pay for the wholesale cost of the part with no labor costs added. IMHO, this would be a fair deal offer.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Good for you.....
It's so easy for these repair folks to spend our dime trouble shooting and throwing parts at the problem hoping one will work. It would be OK, if, in their judgement replaced a part, if failing to correct the issue, offer the customer the opportunity to pay for the wholesale cost of the part with no labor costs added. IMHO, this would be a fair deal offer.
Yeah, it wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't already confirmed that the TPMS sensor was good and checked the initiator before I even brought the car to the shop. I even told him I had the sensors scanned and his reply was "Well, their scanner must be a piece of **** because the diagnostic shows it was dead". Of course, if there is an open in the harness, the diagnostic system won't be able to confirm a functioning sensor or initiator....hint hint.

I find it hard to believe that their "piece of ****" scanner would just magically pick up a signal that wasn't there. I bet there is an issue with the harness, which may or may not have fried the module but, the way they troubleshoot, it'll cost me over $2,000 just find out.

Oh well, I'll pop off the bumper cover and check out the harness. It certainly doesn't look like 4 hours of labor to me

Old 07-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, it wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't already confirmed that the TPMS sensor was good and checked the initiator before I even brought the car to the shop. I even told him I had the sensors scanned and his reply was "Well, their scanner must be a piece of **** because the diagnostic shows it was dead". Of course, if there is an open in the harness, the diagnostic system won't be able to confirm a functioning sensor or initiator....hint hint.

I find it hard to believe that their "piece of ****" scanner would just magically pick up a signal that wasn't there. I bet there is an issue with the harness, which may or may not have fried the module but, the way they troubleshoot, it'll cost me over $2,000 just find out.

Oh well, I'll pop off the bumper cover and check out the harness. It certainly doesn't look like 4 hours of labor to me
Wouldn't it be nice to see copy of the scan and the failed TMPS? That is, if they hadn't "doctored" it first.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Mine is also still showing a fault. will take it back when I get back from Alaska cruise. BL

Old 07-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Mine is also still showing a fault. will take it back when I get back from Alaska cruise. BL
Cruise! you can't be on a cruise when that TPMS system needs attention!
LOL! Enjoy mate....Happy Trails

Old 07-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Cruise! you can't be on a cruise when that TPMS system needs attention!
LOL! Enjoy mate....Happy Trails
Thanks.
Your right I will cancel tomorrow. Bernie

Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Thanks.
Your right I will cancel tomorrow. Bernie
Bernie,
You are a "trooper", no! ...a "storm trooper"..may the force be with you!

Attached Images  

Last edited by RedRider48; 07-02-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

3 months I installed new TPM sensors as a set of 4. 315 MHz frequency. I kept getting the Tire Pressure System Fault warning in intermittent readings. After looking at the shop manual and only having 15,600 miles on 2009 XKR, I went to the local tire shop (Discount Tire). They read the sensors and 3 of the 4 were working properly and transmitting a signal. The left rear (drivers side) was not sending out a signal. I called the vendor www.oewheelsllc.com who quickly agreed to send me another TPMS for the 2009 Jag XKR Portfolio Edition. It arrived. I took the tire/wheel back down to Discount Tire were they dismounted the tire, removed the inoperative TPM sensor, replaced the old with the new and remounted and balance the wheel....cost. $16.64.

It took a while for the Jaguar to read the transmission from the sensors. So when I got home I inflated and deflated the tire with the new sensor, then bought the PSI up to 35 and then drove the car. Within 8 minutes the sensor warning light has disappeared and is working like new. Jaguar suggests a 15 minute drive in excess of 15MPH to have the car pick up the signal.

I was very close to going to the dealer for observation, but was afraid of being taken for additonal parts like sensors, modules, connectors etc.

Having the sensors scanned locally and knowing one was bad, and getting the replacement, for $16.64 my headache is gone. No more warning indicator.

Last edited by richzak; 07-06-2014 at 08:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by richzak:
ag986 (06-28-2016), Gray XK (07-06-2014), ralphwg (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

It has now been 10 days and several hundred miles since the sensor in the left front tire was replaced. All has been good so far, no warning lights red or yellow. It took the dealer three tries as described earlier in another thread, but, I think they may have gotten it right this time.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:51 PM

I pulled the bumper and I think I found the issue. It looks like the green wire that goes to the passenger side initiator got pinched/nicked when the car was hit on the drivers side fender. The wire wasn't cut but the wire was exposed and touched against the frame, possibly taking out the receiver or module. I took care of the wire but the system fault is still there. Looks like it may have shorted to the frame and taken out the receiver or the module.

It shows in the manual that the module has to be programmed by the dealer. Anyone know if you can just swap it out or if the programming by the dealer is a must?

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (07-05-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

I pulled the bumper and I think I found the issue. It looks like the green wire that goes to the passenger side initiator got pinched/nicked when the car was hit on the drivers side fender. The wire wasn't cut but the wire was exposed and touched against the frame, possibly taking out the receiver or module. I took care of the wire but the system fault is still there. Looks like it may have shorted to the frame and taken out the receiver or the module.

It shows in the manual that the module has to be programmed by the dealer. Anyone know if you can just swap it out or if the programming by the dealer is a must?
Nice that you found the problem. I am sure that dealer wouldn't have done what you did. Not sure about programming. Sounds like your situation was much different than mine. I am sure that someone here can help.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:11 PM

Nice that you found the problem. I am sure that dealer wouldn't have done what you did. Not sure about programming. Sounds like your situation was much different than mine. I am sure that someone here can help.
It was nice to find something, even though it didn't immediately solve the problem. From what I found in the documentation, the initiators are hardwired directly to the module so, I'm guessing the port for the passenger side front was fried when the wire grounded on the frame. It says that the module contains the software for the TPMS system so, if I'm lucky, I can just swap out the module and be done with it. It'll be worth the $100 just to find out if it works

Old 07-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Problem is, once you replace the module, you need the Jag diagnostic system to tell the car to accept it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
Gray XK (07-06-2014), richzak (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Problem is, once you replace the module, you need the Jag diagnostic system to tell the car to accept it.
Are you sure this has to be done or are you just going by what you've been told?

I'm just asking because the dealer insisted that each sensor had to be programmed in to the module as well but, we all know that isn't correct.

Quick Reply: TPMS System Fault