Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPMS System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

From the workshop manual:

1. Install the tire pressure monitoring module.
Tighten the nuts to 10 Nm (7 lb.ft).
Connect the electrical connectors.
2. Secure the auxiliary junction box mounting bracket.
Tighten the nuts to 10 Nm (7 lb.ft).
3. Install the rear seat backrest.
For additional information, refer to Rear Seat Backrest (76.70.38)
4. Connect the battery ground cable and install the cover.
5. Using WDS, configure a new module.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the manual and I did read this section. It doesn't say it has to be configured to the vehicle, it just says "configure new module". Having dealt with electronics my entire career, I've found many times where the new board/module/drive etc. is configured properly from the factory, despite what it says in the documentation. What I was wondering is if anyone has physically installed one and if so, is the "configuration" actually required, or if there is a good chance it will work out of the box?

I'm guessing there is probably a bit you have to flip based on the transmission frequency of the sensors - that should give me a 50/50 shot at getting it right straight out of the box.

Wishful thinking...I know

Old 07-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray XK
I have the manual and I did read this section. It doesn't say it has to be configured to the vehicle, it just says "configure new module". Having dealt with electronics my entire career, I've found many times where the new board/module/drive etc. is configured properly from the factory, despite what it says in the documentation. What I was wondering is if anyone has physically installed one and if so, is the "configuration" actually required, or if there is a good chance it will work out of the box?

I'm guessing there is probably a bit you have to flip based on the transmission frequency of the sensors - that should give me a 50/50 shot at getting it right straight out of the box.

Wishful thinking...I know
I don't know if this will help:

The Jaguar TPMS in the USA has a fequency of 315Mhz. Over in Europe the frequency 433Mhz. So I would think the module only has to only consider these 2 frequencies. I am not sure if the TPMS Control Module is the same part # for the USA and Europe. If it is different, then you may have to buy a USA part. My bet is, it is not different. You could at least buy the unit and put in in and see if it can read the TPMS after 15 to 20 minutes of driving. If not, then take your car and your new module to have it programmed or calibrated.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 PM

That's what I was thinking when I said there was a 50/50 shot at getting it right straight out of the box. I thought the frequency was based on model year car, not the location but, it makes sense now that you mention it.

I think I'm just going to order the thing and see how it works out. Either way, it's still way cheaper to buy the module for $98, install it myself, and have the dealer configure it, than it would be to buy the module for their price of $270 and then have to pay an additional $2-300 to have them install and configure it.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

I have the manual and I did read this section. It doesn't say it has to be configured to the vehicle, it just says "configure new module".
You may be correct, but I've seen it in several places that some modules have to be authenticated onto the CAN bus so that the rest of the modules will talk to them.

In particular, DTC U3002-81 is:

Vehicle Identification Number - invalid serial data received

Tire pressure monitoring system module and vehicle VIN mis-match

This DTC indicates that the tire pressure monitoring system module is not the original part installed to the vehicle at the factory/dealer and could have been substituted. Refer to the note above the DTC index about replacing components which may remain under manufacturer warranty.
The TPMS module may work, but even if it does, you'll probably log a DTC every time the car is powered up.

They don't make it easy...

The following users liked this post:
Gray XK (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I installed a brand new TPMS module in my 2007 XK and it did not work until I took it to my Jaguar dealer.

Gray XK (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Good info, thanks!

I just noticed something yesterday. When I first got the System Fault, every now and then I'd get a message that said Cruise Unavailable. After I fixed the wire the other day, I took the car out to see if the system would reset, which it didn't but, the cruise control works just fine now. I'm wondering if the system is actually working, just failed to reset properly. This is starting to get interesting. Hmmmm

Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 PM

I just got around to ordering a new control module today and it should be here by the middle of the week. I'm going to slap it in and get it programmed. The orange triangle is starting to annoy me...

Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

I had both, the TPMS sensors in the tires changed, the module changed and software upgrade done to no avail, same tire shows TPMS cannot be monitored warning and TPMS module not available error haphazardly.... fun stuff.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I had both, the TPMS sensors in the tires changed, the module changed and software upgrade done to no avail, same tire shows TPMS cannot be monitored warning and TPMS module not available error haphazardly.... fun stuff.
The only things left are the initiators and the wiring harness. You can buy a new initiator online for something like $16 or $17

I checked both of my front initiators and they both measured 1.8 Ohms, which is about right for a coil. They are easy to get to - mounted to the bumper right in front of the front wheels (behind the liner in the wheel well) and they are held in place with a single screw. I've heard of them coming loose from time to time so that might be worth checking.

Other than that, it almost has to be a wring issue. The wiring harness for the initiators is on the driver's side in front of the wheel and it goes across the front bumper cover (just under the upper opening) around to the passenger side initiator. Might be worth checking.

There is also a full length procedure in the workshop manual about troubleshooting the wiring harness from the module back to the initiators

Last edited by Gray XK; 07-29-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Schwabe (08-13-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 PM

Booooya! Jaguar Dealer 0. Me 1.

It was finally cool enough to cram myself in to the backseat of the XK without dying of heat stroke, so, I slapped in the new module and presto - no more TPMS System Fault. No configuration, nothing, done.

Thanks, richzack, for the link to Jaguar Merriam Parts in Kansas - total cost $185.80 shipped to my door (my dealer quoted me $270 for the same part). Total time - 90 min to remove the front bumper cover, fix the nick in the wire, and put the bumper cover back on and, about an hour to remove the old module and install the new one.

Last edited by Gray XK; 07-30-2014 at 10:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gray XK:
CleverName (07-31-2014), Ngarara (07-31-2014), richzak (07-30-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, looks like my TPMS troubles have officially started too. Great.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
Well, looks like my TPMS troubles have officially started too. Great.
Sorry to hear it. Let me know if you have any questions - I've done my fair share of research on the subject in the past few months...

bigdhenderson (08-03-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 PM

I took the receipt down to the body shop who did the repairs on my car and asked if they would refund the money I spent for the control module. The owner said he'd just submit additional claim to the insurance company for the extra costs involved and today, the body shop called and asked me where to send the check. They even gave me an extra $42 for the labor of installing the control module myself.

Schwabe (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Result!

Gray XK (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Result!
Yup. I'm pretty satisfied with how it all turned out. Everything works properly and the car looks practically brand new - the body shop took care of a lot of the little nicks and scratches while it was in there (even re-cleared the left quarter panel for free).

I wasn't expecting any money for doing the repairs myself but, the body shop owner said the insurance adjuster threw it in there because he knew what it would have cost had I left it up to the dealer.

I can't say I have ever had such an easy time dealing with an insurance adjuster. Very good experience overall

Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I took the receipt down to the body shop who did the repairs on my car and asked if they would refund the money I spent for the control module. The owner said he'd just submit additional claim to the insurance company for the extra costs involved and today, the body shop called and asked me where to send the check. They even gave me an extra $42 for the labor of installing the control module myself.
That's the most incredible thing I've ever heard.

Gray XK (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

grayxk, that ALMOST sounds too good to be true.

Gray XK (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

QUOTE=Gray XK;1035037] ... I can't say I have ever had such an easy time dealing with an insurance adjuster. Very good experience overall[/QUOTE]

Was the insurance company yours or the other driver's? If yours, let us know how much your premiums went up when you get your next bill.

Just curious.

Gray XK (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Schwabe
grayxk, that ALMOST sounds too good to be true.
It does, doesn't it? lol

I was totally surprised when they called - I honestly thought the whole thing would just be brushed aside and forgotten.

Quick Reply: TPMS System Fault