XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Top Ten Best/Worst cars for depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Top Ten Best/Worst cars for depreciation

Jaguar has two models on the Worst lists.

Top 10 best and worst vehicles for retained value - Autofocus.ca

The following 4 users liked this post by ndy.boyd:
bobdr1 (04-21-2014), DGL (04-20-2014), MaximA (04-20-2014), richzak (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Good article.......I don't feel to bad about owning the Jaguar brand.

The car shown is an XK, mine is an XKR, and the car shown is White, mine is Shadow Gray. That really makes a difference.

I have to come up with some reason to think mine is better and won't depreciate.

Bottom line, we all have realized for some time, that this brand just gets killed in future value(s). I guess we just have to love the cars we got. The depreciation factor as we have known is probably one reason that XK/XKR is DOA for 2014 and beyond, and thus such poor sales figures. The outlay of cash just doesn't make too much economic or financial sense buying one of these premium automobiles new if you really crunch the numbers. Used (3 years old +) with low mileage is the only way to buy these beauties. Let the original owners eat the depreciation.

This issue has been discussed so many times.

Last edited by richzak; 04-20-2014 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (04-21-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

That's why I look for slightly used cars instead of purchasing new. When I bought mine it was about 3.5 years old with 24,000 miles on it and, it cost me $53,500 below the original sticker price. It probably didn't sell for full retail but still, that's quite a bit of cash to lose on a car in less than 4 years

Old 04-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Lets just say my XKR-S is the last "new" Jaguar I will own... 2 yrs depreciation and about 10,000 miles is good for me!!!

Old 04-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

It's hard to warrant new cars financially unless it is special order and you are really planning to own over 6 years.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Lothar52 (04-20-2014), richzak (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
It's hard to warrant new cars financially unless it is special order and you are really planning to own over 6 years.
Even the XKR-S GT was special order and u can see on cars.com quite a few offered with LOW LOW miles and cheaper then the 174k price tag! The XKR-S was my first adventure into the "semi - exotic" car area.... It wont be my last but I will not buy new... I do plan on keeping the XKR-S for that matter until kingdom comes or someone offers me something I cant refuse . Its just an all around great eye catching GT. It will be MY BABY as only I will have ordered and owned her. I will likely give the XKR to my dear ole dad in a few years when I get a slightly used F-Type R/RS

Loth

Old 04-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I can only agree. Extremely fast depreciating car.

The previous owner of my car, bought it new, and he lost around 121t USD / 87T Euro over a period of 5 years...

Cost around 2 USD per mile / 1 Euro per km... crazy...

But it is not all bad, I am sure a lot of divers here got a great deal on a second hand Jag..

Old 04-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I got a $101,000 2010 XKR with under 30k miles for half price last year.

Of course, that doesn't count the bread I spent on tweaks after I got it, but I'll take that every time...

Old 04-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

It's funny how we like to tell the tale of how our previous owner took a bath since he/she purchased it new and how we saved 10s of Thousands. Regardless, unless we purchased a 10 year old Jaguar, our investment if 4 years old still has nowhere to go but down, until it settles in the teens for a real nice one with good miles. Yes it is a horrible investment, but where else can we get a "semi exotic" at these prices? I know I cannot afford an Aston, and I don't even want to pay $90,000 for a 6 year old R8, so it's still a deal for me. I plan on keeping my XK for a number of years and although it might be fairly worthless at the end, it still is timeless in design as well as a ton of fun to drive. There's always a tradeoff.

bobdr1 (04-21-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Interesting that there were a number of economy cars in that list -- especially the CR-V which seems to retain its value quite a bit around here (FL). The 1st thing that came to mind when looking at the cars in that list was that many of them are high-priced luxury models that appeal to those who don't have to worry about the initial price or the depreciation. I, on the other hand, will continue to opt for the slightly used (or in the case of my XJ8, heavily used!) cars. In fact, now that the 2011 XJs are going for under $50k, it's time to start thinking about trading up.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

The Jaguar XK/XKR/XKR-S/XKR-S GT are all exceptional cars in the GT market. Jaguar continues to suffer from the reliability stigma the public perceives of the brand and their marketing strategy. As we all know the brand is as reliable as any other high end brand or more so. If you take a Merc, BMW or Audi owner and put them in an XKR it blows their minds how rock solid the car is and the huge performance advantage over their similarly priced other brand.

When I sold my first XKR 175 I had to find a replacement, so I found a good deal on a 300 miles from new 2013 XKR in West Palm Beach for about $30,000 below MSRP. It was a deal I could not say no to because it came with all the options I wanted and the color I wanted. However, owning a Jaguar is a love/hate relationship. I love the car and hate the depreciation just like most other high end cars.

One thing that is misleading in the article is that it doesn't compare similar cars. Instead it treats all trucks and cars the same. Most high end cars do depreciate a lot, it's an intrinsic part of the ownership. Everyone has to figure out what works for them. When comparing the out of show room price (not MSRP) of the XK to other high end GT car sale prices, and their respective depreciation, I'm sure the XK would compare in line with the other similar models in the high end GT category. Jaguar's marketing and their high MSRP, IMO, hurts the brand because of perceived inflated depreciation. Everyone looks at resale value and Jaguar's marketing strategy inflates the depreciation with their high MSRP and large purchase discounts after 6 months into the model year.

I'm surprised the article never mentioned the Nissan GT-R. A 2010 GT-R can to sold today for virtually the same price it was bought for new in 2010 because the model has steadily increased in price from $75,000 in 2010 to $115,000 for a new 2015. The price increases also bought up the values of the used ones. However, not everyone wants to drive a boy race car with cheap interior and a rough ride. That's why I sold my 2014 GT-R. But who knows I may end up with another one if a good deal lands on my desk.

Last edited by DGL; 04-20-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

The GTR has held it's price also because it is in the class of "super cars". They haven't mentioned the R8 either. There are exceptions in the exotic car category, but few and far between and they are usually limited production limited run cars. Remember the Z8 and the Ford GT?

ndy.boyd (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
The GTR has held it's price also because it is in the class of "super cars". They haven't mentioned the R8 either. There are exceptions in the exotic car category, but few and far between and they are usually limited production limited run cars. Remember the Z8 and the Ford GT?

The definition of "super car" is vague at best. The XKR with 510-550 hp and 485-500 lbs tq is certainly in the "super car" power category and with a simple pulley change and ECM tune achieves over 600 hp. The GT-R is much more track oriented. Consequently, the GT-R performance numbers puts it in a class of its own. A lot of people here have cross shopped the GT-R and find it unbearable as a street car. However, the GT-R has similar stock power specs as the XKR and XKR-S, but is track oriented as opposed to street refinement oriented. Nissan has found a niche market for the GT-R. GT-R owners are mainly buying the car for its track performance numbers over any other criterion. On the track the GT-R is king, but on the street, where I drive my car, I'd rather be in an XKR than any other GT in the same price range.

Last edited by DGL; 04-20-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Several Points -
1. I don't know where Autofocus gets their pricing information. List prices for the xk and the xj are way off base. In the U.S. they start at about 8-15k less than autofocus uses. Must be Canadian prices. I wonder if they use U.S. or Can. depreciated values?

2. How many of us are really concerned regarding KBB values 3-5 years down the pike from new. If we were that concerned, I doubt if we would be buying xks and/or xkrs. We would all probably be driving a Toyota Tundra in order not to take the hit when buying new.

3. If one were to look at the paper loss per year on a straight line basis and compare it to the cash cost of a first class multi-week vacation; then approximately $13k per year on paper for a bit of a vacation every time you get into your xk or xkr the value proposition becomes an entirely different animal.

bobdr1 (04-21-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

There will always be people who like to buy new - they can get exactly the car they want, they get long warranty and they know that the car has never been abused. On the flip-side, they get the burn-in failures (components with manufacturing faults that fail early) which can send them back & forth to the dealer, they have to deal with running-in procedures and they take one to the gonads on depreciation.

I prefer a 2-3-year-old car which has been run in & has the kinks ironed out of it, and where the big depreciation hit has already been taken. In any case, I can't really afford to buy new - well, I could on paper, but it would put a hell of a dent in my financial status. So, I bought a 2.5-year-old car with 26k miles for £40k, less than half the £85k new price. Yes, it will keep depreciating, but I will keep it for 10 years (assuming I'm still on the correct side of the grass) so I'l get my money's worth. Down-side: I could only pick a car that someone else had specced up, not the exact build I might have preferred; however, since I ended up buying a limited edition with most options as standard, that didn't actually make any difference.

Last edited by Ngarara; 04-20-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
There will always be people who like to buy new - they can get exactly the car they want, they get long warranty and they know that the car has never been abused. On the flip-side, they get the burn-in failures (components with manufacturing faults that fail early) which can send them back & forth to the dealer, they have to deal with running-in procedures and they take one to the gonads on depreciation.

I prefer a 2-3-year-old car which has been run in & has the kinks ironed out of it, and where the big depreciation hit has already been taken. In any case, I can't really afford to buy new - well, I could on paper, but it would put a hell of a dent in my financial status. So, I bought a 2.5-year-old car with 26k miles for £40k, less than half the £85k new price. Yes, it will keep depreciating, but I will keep it for 10 years (assuming I'm still on the correct side of the grass) so I'l get my money's worth. Down-side: I could only pick a car that someone else had specced up, not the exact build I might have preferred; however, since I ended up buying a limited edition with most options as standard, that didn't actually make any difference.

You have one the rarest modern Jaguar's. Unlike the North American 175, you have real deal. Needless to say, I know you do, enjoy it! It was built for you.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

BMW 6 series cars as well as Mercedes SL lose even more than XK/XKRs in depreciation. A friend of mine, yesterday, was looking at the Mercedes AMG SLS, a car that new sold for about $220,000 plus tax and license in 2012. There are a number of them available with under 5000 miles on them for under $150,000. So even "supercars" are not immune from severe depreciation.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Just bought this 2013 E-350 a Mercedes CPO with a 4 year warranty that listed for about $64,000 for $46,000. You members on this site have convinced me no more NEW luxury cars. My wife and I have never owned a used car (we do tend to keep cars for a long time) until this year, and now we have bought two - E-350 and 2013 Lexus RX350. I know this is not an extremely high-line car, but it just shows the money you can save and Mercedes doesn't do heavy discounting on new cars and neither does Lexus. I have mentioned several times on this site that I bought the new 2010 XK in Sept. 2010 for $20,000 off of the list price. Of course the 2011s were just coming out, but it still a pretty hefty discount on a new car plus the Jaguar dealer threw in the extended 2 yr. warranty.

Attached Thumbnails Top Ten Best/Worst cars for depreciation-claudes-e350.-7.jpg  

Last edited by v8cat; 04-20-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think we can sit around and blame the reliability reputation for the depreciation, but I think it has to do more with the lack of a truly class-leading model, in terms of engineering, technology, features, value, performance, build quality, etc. I mean, have you compared the infotainment systems in the Jags compared to the competition?

Of course, Jaguar usually beats the competition in beauty, class and uniqueness! But there's relatively few people shopping for those things...

Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

...if they didn't depreciate so badly I wouldn't have bought one!

I was head-to-head on GT-R vs XKR-S, 2012 models at < 8000 miles or so... but as pointed out above, the Nissans are selling without much discounting. And to me, while I love GT-R for what it can do, IMO it's not a very good-looking car. Once you see an XKR or -S in person the drooling begins.

Rich

The following 2 users liked this post by Rw99:
bobdr1 (04-21-2014), Lothar52 (04-20-2014)

Quick Reply: Top Ten Best/Worst cars for depreciation