XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Top Ten Best/Worst cars for depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rw99
...if they didn't depreciate so badly I wouldn't have bought one!
Amen brother.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default What did you expect?

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I think we can sit around and blame the reliability reputation for the depreciation, but I think it has to do more with the lack of a truly class-leading model, in terms of engineering, technology, features, value, performance, build quality, etc. I mean, have you compared the infotainment systems in the Jags compared to the competition?

Of course, Jaguar usually beats the competition in beauty, class and uniqueness! But there's relatively few people shopping for those things...
Lets put the blame where it belongs: on the industry analysts that write vicious reviews on cars

I ripped Lisa B from Consumer reports for using a 4 year old xkr in a reliability test in the 2014 model year

I called her everything but a woman on this site and what happens? forums members felt I was Ill-mannered in trashing her and the style of reporting, and I was notified that if I did it again my posting would be suspended or revoked

As long as people like lisa and other know-it-alls in the auto industry spew their filth to the unknowing uninformed consumer, then the consumer will continue to be misguided, and severe depreciation will continue

In the final analysis, the reputation of the xkr is sullied by a few "journalists " that couldn't find their *** with 2 hands even if you gave them directions

Last edited by SoCal Babe; 04-20-2014 at 08:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SoCal Babe:
Lothar52 (04-20-2014), ndy.boyd (04-20-2014), ralphwg (04-21-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think you're the only one reading Consumer Reports who is/was in the market for a $100k+ luxury car. I can't believe you're still giving that silly CR article any more thought!

But I also can't believe that people would actually blame automotive journalism for Jaguar depreciation. It's been a long time since I read an article on a Jaguar saying that you shouldn't buy one because it will break down. In fact, Jaguar has been getting good press lately with positive JD Power ratings and such!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I think you're the only one reading Consumer Reports who is/was in the market for a $100k+ luxury car. I can't believe you're still giving that silly CR article any more thought!

But I also can't believe that people would actually blame automotive journalism for Jaguar depreciation. It's been a long time since I read an article on a Jaguar saying that you shouldn't buy one because it will break down. In fact, Jaguar has been getting good press lately with positive JD Power ratings and such!
I work in the auto industry and you wouldnt believe the type of individuals who believe consumer reports and other rags of its type are the end all and gospel of buying power. I was not one of them. I didnt read it to buy a car. A collegue sent me the article just to irritate me!!

In the U.S. you would be amazed at the credibility that is given to "test" journalists as compared to those in Europe

And you are correct. I need to get over it!! If a guy had written that article I would have forgotten it by now

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Rw99
...if they didn't depreciate so badly I wouldn't have bought one!

I was head-to-head on GT-R vs XKR-S, 2012 models at < 8000 miles or so... but as pointed out above, the Nissans are selling without much discounting. And to me, while I love GT-R for what it can do, IMO it's not a very good-looking car. Once you see an XKR or -S in person the drooling begins.

Rich
You got that right brother... I got it so bad for her I bought 2!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

I'd like to say Thank You to the owners of my car before I got it because without them and the depreciation they suffered.... I wouldn't have it.

My previous car (not a Jaguar) also had suffered major depreciation and again was how I afforded it.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Essentially the trucks win on depreciation. So why is this ? Why people want to drive around in trucks I shall never understand, is it the US Frontier style or something ?

No doubt when everyone is driving an SUV, people will want some elegance back into their lives.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
It's funny how we like to tell the tale of how our previous owner took a bath since he/she purchased it new and how we saved 10s of Thousands. Regardless, unless we purchased a 10 year old Jaguar, our investment if 4 years old still has nowhere to go but down, until it settles in the teens for a real nice one with good miles. Yes it is a horrible investment, but where else can we get a "semi exotic" at these prices? I know I cannot afford an Aston, and I don't even want to pay $90,000 for a 6 year old R8, so it's still a deal for me. I plan on keeping my XK for a number of years and although it might be fairly worthless at the end, it still is timeless in design as well as a ton of fun to drive. There's always a tradeoff.
Well, I did purchase a >10 year old Jag, in 2012, a year 2000 XKR BRG with 18,000 miles. Price might be drifting up a bit since I bought it. And of course, it is about he most beautiful car ever made.

regards

-d

Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Jaguar has never marketed reliability, so how is the larger audience supposed to know that Jaguar is as reliable as any other car?

As other have mentioned, the heavy discounting on new cars does not help resale values, but what is a dealer supposed to do to move inventory? They can only floor plan a car so long and when the next model year is in the lot; makes the old one even less attractive outside of heavy discounts.

We were very close to trading in our Range Rover for a 2013 Fiat Abarth; still many on the dealer lots with 7K off MSRP. Some are buying brand new Abarth's for 17-18K!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder if the myth that Jaguars are just rebadged Ford products has died down in the minds of the general public. I know just a few years ago, that was a big reason people didn't seem to want to buy Jaguars.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I would say that the vast majority of the "general public" wouldn't even know that Ford ever owned Jaguar. I think the past quality issue is as big a factor as there is and it will take the passing of a car buying generation to overcome it completely. The brand is certainly far better known and trusted that it was even a decade ago and Tada is spending a lot of advertising dollars to promote the name. Its an interesting and very well crafted message that highlights the wonderful history of the Jaguar name, but emphasizes the new and bold direction their current designs have taken. Quite effective, if you ask me.

The following 5 users liked this post by ndy.boyd:
bobdr1 (04-21-2014), Lothar52 (04-22-2014), MaximA (04-22-2014), richzak (04-21-2014), SoCal Babe (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
There will always be people who like to buy new - they can get exactly the car they want, they get long warranty and they know that the car has never been abused. On the flip-side, they get the burn-in failures (components with manufacturing faults that fail early) which can send them back & forth to the dealer, they have to deal with running-in procedures and they take one to the gonads on depreciation.

I prefer a 2-3-year-old car which has been run in & has the kinks ironed out of it, and where the big depreciation hit has already been taken. In any case, I can't really afford to buy new - well, I could on paper, but it would put a hell of a dent in my financial status. So, I bought a 2.5-year-old car with 26k miles for £40k, less than half the £85k new price. Yes, it will keep depreciating, but I will keep it for 10 years (assuming I'm still on the correct side of the grass) so I'l get my money's worth. Down-side: I could only pick a car that someone else had specced up, not the exact build I might have preferred; however, since I ended up buying a limited edition with most options as standard, that didn't actually make any difference.
+1

Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I would say that the vast majority of the "general public" wouldn't even know that Ford ever owned Jaguar. I think the past quality issue is as big a factor as there is and it will take the passing of a car buying generation to overcome it completely. The brand is certainly far better known and trusted that it was even a decade ago and Tada is spending a lot of advertising dollars to promote the name. Its an interesting and very well crafted message that highlights the wonderful history of the Jaguar name, but emphasizes the new and bold direction their current designs have taken. Quite effective, if you ask me.
Perhaps so. But I know when I had my XJ8, I would constantly get sneering comments from disapproving coworkers saying, "Ya know, it's just a Ford Crown Vic with some styling changes!" (I don't get any of those comments anymore with the XKR...) And I consider them the general public since they certainly weren't car enthusiasts!

I think Jaguar's villains ad campaign doesn't resonate with most people. It's just silly. However, Buick's ad campaign is much worse. (80 year old woman says, "What? That doesn't look like a Buick to me!") Haha!

Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Essentially the trucks win on depreciation. So why is this ? Why people want to drive around in trucks I shall never understand, is it the US Frontier style or something ?

No doubt when everyone is driving an SUV, people will want some elegance back into their lives.
Fraser, you live in England. Here iN the USA a pickup truck is a way of life, especially down here in the wild southwest the land of real Cowboys and Indians. Yes, we still have real Cowboys anD my second home is just a few miles away from Mescelaro Apache tribe.

Without a pickup truck, we wouldn't be an American. We love our trucks and I wouldn't be without one.

If you ever get to the USA, be sure to bring your western style hat.

Last edited by richzak; 04-21-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 795 Posts

As Lothar is fond of saying: YEEEEHAWWWW!!!

P.S. Did you know that the most popular hat in the old west was the derby (a.k.a. bowler)?

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

YEEEEEEHAW TO THAT YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!.....and finally. YIP YIP YEEEEEHAWWWW!!!

ps- no cowboys in the hills of ohio... hence I am Lothar of the hill people... but that doesnt mean I cant give a loud Yeee Ha every now and then

YEEEEEHAWWWW!!!!

Loth

YIP!!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps so. But I know when I had my XJ8, I would constantly get sneering comments from disapproving coworkers saying, "Ya know, it's just a Ford Crown Vic with some styling changes!" (I don't get any of those comments anymore with the XKR...) And I consider them the general public since they certainly weren't car enthusiasts!

I think Jaguar's villains ad campaign doesn't resonate with most people. It's just silly. However, Buick's ad campaign is much worse. (80 year old woman says, "What? That doesn't look like a Buick to me!") Haha!

Compare that this this Jaguar ad, which I love:

Old 04-26-2014, 03:35 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell

I like the elegance of my Jag and the ruggedness of my truck... Kind of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. There are places I just can't get to in the Jag and my Jag can't haul *** through the desert!

Attached Thumbnails Top Ten Best/Worst cars for depreciation-image.jpg