XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Touch Screen Navigation Button not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Touch Screen Navigation Button not working

2007 Jaguar XK with navigation system. I recently purchased a new (2010-2011) set of navigation DVD for my jaguar. I inserted the first DVD; now the touch screen button for the navigation system will not activate or show any of the sub-menus for the navigation system. The button beeps but nothing happens. I took out the DVD and still the touch screen does nothing in the Nav mode. All of the other components that work through the touch screen system seem to working fine. There has to be some kind of “cause and effect” between the new DVDs and the Navigation System no longer functioning through the touch screen. I would appreciate any thoughts you have. Is this a dealer fix situation or do one you have some magic dust I sprinkle on the system. Thanks.
JAGTN

Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by TNJAG
2007 Jaguar XK with navigation system. I recently purchased a new (2010-2011) set of navigation DVD for my jaguar. I inserted the first DVD; now the touch screen button for the navigation system will not activate or show any of the sub-menus for the navigation system. The button beeps but nothing happens. I took out the DVD and still the touch screen does nothing in the Nav mode. All of the other components that work through the touch screen system seem to working fine. There has to be some kind of “cause and effect” between the new DVDs and the Navigation System no longer functioning through the touch screen. I would appreciate any thoughts you have. Is this a dealer fix situation or do one you have some magic dust I sprinkle on the system. Thanks.
JAGTN
What you have done is interrupted the software update that occurs when a new DVD is installed in the NAV System. Hopefully the unit will recover if you allow it enough time to complete. I would connect a battery charger first, then turn the ignition on and reinstall the same DVD you tried the first time. [be sure you slide the switch to LOCKED] Then allow at least 20 minutes for the system to try and complete the update. What you describe as happening to you the first time is the normal update process. On first insertion of the new DVD the screen goes out, usually shows the logo screen then goes to the home screen with the NAV button GRAYED OUT. It stays grayed out for the duration of the update, then the NAV button returns to normal indicating completion. By removing the DVD while the button was grayed out, I believe you interrupted the software update. I am unclear whether it will recover itself by retrying it. If it does not, it will probably mean a trip to your dealer.

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch Screen Navigation Button not working

Steve,
Your procedure worked perfectly. After about five minutes the screen flashed, navigation button came on and I now have fully functioning Navigation system. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
TNJAG

Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by TNJAG
Steve,
Your procedure worked perfectly. After about five minutes the screen flashed, navigation button came on and I now have fully functioning Navigation system. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
TNJAG
Superb!! Now I'm sure an interruption is not necessarily fatal! I love it when a plan comes together.

Thanks for reporting back.

Cheers,

Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just as a matter of curiosity, what is the purpose of the battery charger?

Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Toller
Just as a matter of curiosity, what is the purpose of the battery charger?
Disaster avoidance.

Software uploading/updating on ANY late model car can go south if battery voltage dips under a threshold [which can vary], or is unsteady or uneven. That can render modules unrecoverable. We use voltage stabilizers any time we do software or programming.

Which explains why I was so pleased when TNJAG's NAV recovered that nicely.

Cheers,

Old 06-14-2011, 03:33 PM

So....you have the battery charger hooked up to the car at the same time the engine is running? Heck...I didn't know anything about the difficulty in this process. I just start the car, slap in the new DVD, and wait. Learn sumpin' new every day.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Toller
So....you have the battery charger hooked up to the car at the same time the engine is running? Heck...I didn't know anything about the difficulty in this process. I just start the car, slap in the new DVD, and wait. Learn sumpin' new every day.

Thanks.
Nowhere here did anyone say anything about starting the engine. It was turn the ignition on. Anytime anything is being done regarding software, programming, flashing or configuring, we in the business have learned that any precaution to prevent any glitch, chance of failure or voltage variation is a REALLY GOOD IDEA. For instance, suppose we used the alternator to keep the voltage up. Then we get in the middle of a programming operation and something causes a stall. You know what happens when a car stalls, lights bells and whistles all go off. Plus there is an immediate voltage reduction from charging volts to battery volts. Well that would be the end of your programming steps, too.
We do everything we can to head off those sorts of possibilities.

Cheers,

Old 06-17-2011, 07:35 PM

OK. I see it now....charger attached, iginition on but engine not started. Thanks.