XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Touchscreen periodically won't turn on

Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touchscreen periodically won't turn on

I bought a 2008 XKR back in march. Occasionally, I would start the car and the radio / nav touchscreen would not turn on. It just stays black with the jaguar logo. I would drive it as is and the next time I got in and started the car it would work. This problem had stopped during the summer, but it just happened again this morning. The weather has just started to change where I live, and the car was full of condensation this morning. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I'd appreciate any help or ideas of where to look. thank you,
Jim

Last edited by GGG; 01-30-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touchscreen display is frozen on logo

I have the exact same problem with the same car. Today was the first freeze and the display is frozen on the Jaguar logo. The last time this happened I pulled the fuse under the rear seat and it reset the system. If you find a solution, please post it. Thanks

Old 10-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Another thing to look at is your battery voltage.
Seems our electronics are a tad touchy when it gets low, and the XK series is known for consuming batteries if not maintained.

Vince

The following users liked this post:
wsn03 (04-28-2021)
Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I had the same problem on my 08 vert. It turned out there was a chafed wire that had to be replaced. It was still under warranty. The dealer replaced it at no charge.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default touch screen isssues

Yes, I think the screen is somewhat temperamental. I had similar issues last fall and I don't think the dealer service techs ever came up with a good answer. I am waiting for cooler weather here in Minnesota to see if temp is related. I had one or two random events in the last 6 months. It may be something we have to live with, unless you have a consistent persistent fault.
There are suspect issues with battery voltage. Mine is going into it's 5th year, so not sure how that may play this winter. I store car, so unless I have major issue this fall, will expect all will be OK in the spring. Maybe there will be a TSB that will come along one of these days. Lots of chatter about the MOSS circuit, but nothing the dealer can find.
Good Luck. I sure love my 2008 XKR Coupe, after driving an 86 XJS Coupe for 23 years. quite a change, but still miss the old one.
Stay in touch if you have a break thru.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same, and even had it in mid summer. About six months ago the entire touchscreen was replaced under warranty, (for an other problem) and it's still there. So at least to me it seems to be unrelated with battery power. It looks more like a software problem, like a computer that locks during startup. Cycle the power and works fine again.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I had the same issue. The strange thing is that if I restart the car, sometimes the screen turns off when the starter is cranking, sometimes it stays on. Is this a sign of battery failure?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Like many others here I've had the same issue with the touchscreen. Dealer replaced the entire screen while it was CPO but that did not solve it. Am on my second new Interstate battery since buying the car last February and the problem is back.

The first battery was replaced under Interstate warranty even though the battery was fine. Dealer said it dropped enough during start to screw up the touchscreen.

I've noticed that with a new battery the screen home page comes on immediately upon start. After a few months it takes longer and longer to display the info until finally it just stays on the logo. After shutting the engine off for a bit and restarting, the screen works fine. Another thing I've picked up on is that when the screen is in its balky mood it won't turn off when I lock the car.

I'm convinced that battery power is the culprit and I do lock the car even in the garage. Time for a new (this time AGM) battery. This added expense is cutting into my Guinness budget, though not too severely.

Happy New Year to all.
Tom

amcdonal86 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Fascinating information. Does this mean that the batteries you have previously bought were not AGM batteries?

My screen is doing the same thing. It also had this weird issue where it wouldn't revmatch my downshifts in manual mode once. I wonder if these two issues are related to the battery.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Fascinating information. Does this mean that the batteries you have previously bought were not AGM batteries?

My screen is doing the same thing. It also had this weird issue where it wouldn't revmatch my downshifts in manual mode once. I wonder if these two issues are related to the battery.
Since most everything on these cars are computer controlled, it's a good bet they are related.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

My XKR is still under the Select Edition warranty. Should I take it in to the dealer, or are they just going to tell me that the battery isn't covered? If I'm going to have to pay a diagnostic fee of over $100, I might was well just replace the battery myself.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
My XKR is still under the Select Edition warranty. Should I take it in to the dealer, or are they just going to tell me that the battery isn't covered? If I'm going to have to pay a diagnostic fee of over $100, I might was well just replace the battery myself.
When I replaced the battery in my 07, the dealer told me that someone had already replaced the original battery with an aftermarket. Had they replaced it with a Jag battery the warranty would have covered replacing the bad battery. That's what I was told by the dealer I "deal" with...your mileage may vary.

You can call the Jag dealer you have and check whether your warranty will cover replacement. As far as checking is concerned, you can have the voltage/battery state tested at Advance Auto to find out if the battery is not performing properly. If it isn't, you can discuss this with one of the SA's at your dealer and work something out.

amcdonal86 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

I see, thanks for the info. Any idea what the specs for the battery are supposed to be when having it tested at Advance?

Any idea what the original Jaguar battery looks like? How will I know if it's been replaced with a non-OEM battery?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

An AGM battery will have the letters 'AGM' somewhere on the battery. I had your issue and some others too. Like it had a mind of its own lol. I had a lead acid bettery in previous. Brand new and was great for about 3mths. I use my XKR every day too. When a load test was done it showed that the lead acid battery was not able to maintain the correct voltage for the Jags systems to operate.
The AGM battery is able to maintain a higher voltage. I also believe it charges quicker than a lead acid battery.
Change the battery you may just fix your problems....it did for me.

XK Guy (10-20-2019)
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had problems with my screen since shortly after I purchased the car new in 2007! The problems occur sporadically and rarely. The first time I took the car into the dealership for this issue I was told that the springs on the plastic bezel around the nav screen were to tight and had to be adjusted or replaced. Of course that did not fix the problem. The second time I took the car to the dealership for the issue I was told that the car needed a software upgrade and that would definitely fix the problem. Of course it did not. Next I was told that the battery voltage level was probably the cause of this issue so I bought a brand new Jaguar battery from the dealership and of course this was not the solution either!

I experience problems with my nav screen under two conditions. First and most often is when the car is very cold. The screen will not come on with the initial start but if I turn the car off, lock it, take the key out of range of the car, return to the car and restart the car the screen will come on 100% of the time.

Second, I have problems with my nav screen when the car is very hot. It will happen in the summertime if I am stuck in traffic for extended periods of time.

Neither happens frequently so I have learned to live with it!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not had the touchscreen go blank, but have had the screen between the speedo and tach stay black. Seems to happen when the car sits for several days, especially now that it is much colder out. A friend of mine had a 07 XKR and he had noticed the same thing. But, once you restart the car again it's fine. I solved it by driving it everyday......
I think as others have mentioned, this car and all cars now have sooo much technology running when off or booting up at startup that a little drop in voltage glitches the system.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

I think I can live with sporadic and rare issues, but if this is a sign that the whole touchscreen system is going to go out altogether, that would be a bad thing, because on this car, most everything requires the touch screen to operate!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When my last battery was dying, my car got stuck with the Jag logo, engine off, headlights on....and the car wouldn't start or do anything else. The roof was down, so I had to manually close the roof, then pulled the battery cable. Once I put it back, the car was fine. The dealer tested the battery and found it on its last legs and replaced it. That was about 5 months ago.

Recently had a different touchscreen "incident", it just rebooted while driving. I was changing channels or selecting a CD and suddenly it went blank, logo came up, then all was good again.

No idea what happened, hasn't recurred.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has started this carry on! Screen wouldn't change from parking sensor diagram after setting off but eventually came on with the home screen. This morning I had to drive to work in silence and on a cold seat with just the Jaguar logo staring at me.......
Did try stopping and restarting, maybe I should have locked it and stepped out of range - then re tried??

Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by V6 JDT
Mine has started this carry on! Screen wouldn't change from parking sensor diagram after setting off but eventually came on with the home screen. This morning I had to drive to work in silence and on a cold seat with just the Jaguar logo staring at me.......
Did try stopping and restarting, maybe I should have locked it and stepped out of range - then re tried??
You (more than likely) need a new battery. DO yourself a favor and get an Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) battery.

AGM batteries are designed for better/more regulated voltage levels, and they can survive the constant, heavy, and sometimes deep cycling (discharge/charge) that these cars put on the battery. The electronics draw a substantial amount of current in support of the electronics.

Your electrical gremlins should go away with a decent AGM battery, provided there are no other issues with your electrical system. If you have not had any electrical\problems to date then you probably don't have any electrical issues (other than the battery).

V6 JDT (05-08-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touchscreen periodically won't turn on