XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Touchscreen periodically won't turn on

Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

The correct battery number is MT5-49H8 or MTP-49H8A. They are the same battery. If getting a battery using the second number, make sure the "A" is on the end. The MTP-49H8 (without the A) is NOT an AGM battery. I found out the hard way.

The following 2 users liked this post by amcdonal86:
Shagua (11-05-2018), V6 JDT (05-08-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well jumped in and drove home from work and all is well again (for the moment). Will get the battery discharge tested to see if it is failing.

Cheers,

Jeff.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

who makes an AGM battery for 2009 xk ? what are the model numbers? I contacted interstate and they replied that they do not have an AGM battery for 2009 xk.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 JDT
Did try stopping and restarting, maybe I should have locked it and stepped out of range - then re tried??
Yeah - locking it shuts down the entertainment system; just stopping the engine doesn't. Mine (2010, MY11) occasionally 'sticks' on the startup splash screen, and that's it until I lock it. The other fun trick is the spontaneous re-boot when I have my iPhone connected & playing music - it's done that about 3 times.

Thinks: maybe I should replace the fuse with a switched fuse, then I can just re-boot the little sod if it locks up.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah its happened to me multiple times (2008 XKR vert).
Sometimes it locks up so hard I have to yank the fuse to reset it (in fuse panel behind pad between the rear seats).
It seems to be more likely if I haven't driven the car for a while (say 2 weeks), which suggests its something to do with a low charge, however it has also happened to me when restarting the car 5 minutes after a long run, which suggests it isn't.
You have to watch it because when it does lock up, sometimes the screen/system stays powered up at the jaguar screen even if you turn off the car, get out and lock it. That would be more than enough to flatten the battery in a short while.

Last edited by JustNiz; 09-09-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

With my 2011 XKR 175 I had a few instants where the "R" logo stayed on the screen and nothing else would happen nor could I access anything on the screen. A complete shut down (engine off, doors locked, key outside) seem to remedy the situation every time. Only happened a few times during the winter while the car was laid up.

I have not experienced any problems with my 2013 XKR, yet.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I've noticed that most of these issues have affected pre 2010 XKs other than DGLs 2011 XKR. Has anyone experienced the screen glitch with a 2010 or later XK? Do the 2010+ XKs use the same nav system and electronics? Has it been established that it may very well be battery related and needs a fully charged battery to avoid the screen issue?

Last edited by bocatrip; 09-09-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

I believe the infotainment system in the XK is based on old technology like the navigation system. It's definitely not state of the art. However, it works fine and communicates with other electronic modules on the car just fine. I'm not sure if the 2012-13's have the bugs ironed out. I will report here if I experience any problems. Jaguar, don't keep kicking the can down the road, build a better car:

The old electronic systems being manufactured in most cars today are not state-of-the-art and must be expensive to develop, maintain and manufacture. I'd like to see an iphone or android device used as your key, infotainment front end to access radio, air conditioning, etc., Also could be used for engine control gauges etc. The application is limitless and the manufacture would only need to develop an app and manufacture a touch screen or include a tablet in the dash. This would eliminate a lot of problems and make the front-end interface scalable and standardized for all manufactures. The applications are limitless. Instead of manufactures building there own proprietary systems for the front-end interface a tablet/smart phone would be most efficient and effective IMO. What's the cost of an iphone or tablet compared to the manufacture's upcharge for navigation etc. Car manufacture's infotainment systems are far from state-of-the-art for a reason. Car manufactures can not do everything the best.

With such an interface road side assistance could be diagnosed remotely, maintenance would be simple and more effective. The over all cost would dramatically decrease. When motor cars were first build in America car manufactures built everything themselves. Today, car manufactures, for the most part, outsource components. I think it's time to start outsourcing the front-end infotainment system to apple or google. Can you imagine, Jaguar implementing stating-of-art electronics in their cars leap frogging the industry. Wow, that would definitely shake off any electrical/electronic stigma associated with Jaguar. All Jaguar's would come with an iphone/tablet and cost less, and be more reliable and serviceable than any other car on the market.

New thread started about this post not to take away from this problem reporting thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...35/#post809364

Last edited by DGL; 09-10-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdr1
who makes an AGM battery for 2009 xk ? what are the model numbers? I contacted interstate and they replied that they do not have an AGM battery for 2009 xk.
Sears:

DieHard Gold Size 49 Car Batteries: Enjoy Value and Durability - Sears

This battery will fit despite the fact that the cross reference says it does not.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-10-2013 at 08:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
bobdr1 (09-11-2013), Shagua (11-05-2018)
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I believe there is a TSB out for the Infotainment systems in 2012 xks. Mine has been reflashed by my dealer to eliminate a slow response time upon startup. Perhaps that is aplicable to the problems described here as well.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I've noticed that most of these issues have affected pre 2010 XKs other than DGLs 2011 XKR. Has anyone experienced the screen glitch with a 2010 or later XK? Do the 2010+ XKs use the same nav system and electronics? Has it been established that it may very well be battery related and needs a fully charged battery to avoid the screen issue?
I don't believe much was changed in the 5.0L models. Mine (MY11) has locked up in the 6 months I've had it - black screen once or twice, which can be cured by Stop/Start, and splash screen 2-3 times, which need a lock/unlock.

I definitely had it more frequently before I got my battery deep-cycled under warranty. But it does still happen.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I don't believe much was changed in the 5.0L models. Mine (MY11) has locked up in the 6 months I've had it - black screen once or twice, which can be cured by Stop/Start, and splash screen 2-3 times, which need a lock/unlock.

I definitely had it more frequently before I got my battery deep-cycled under warranty. But it does still happen.
Unfortunately I find this somewhat disheartening. It reminds me of the very old tvs that would occasionally get lines going across the screen and the fix was to slam the tv across the side until the lines would go away. I'm not real enthusiastic about spending over 50 large on a car that has an infotainment system fix of stopping and starting the car a few times whenever it occurs until it decides to regenerate itself. The saddest part is that this has been going on for years and Jaguar has not come up with a fix. Generally a car manufacturer addresses an ongoing problem.

Last edited by bocatrip; 09-10-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I find this somewhat disheartening. It reminds me of the very old tvs that would occasionally get lines going across the screen and the fix was to slam the tv across the side until the lines would go away. I'm not real enthusiastic about spending over 50 large on a car that has an infotainment system fix of stopping and starting the car a few times whenever it occurs until it decides to regenerate itself. The saddest part is that this has been going on for years and Jaguar has not come up with a fix. Generally a car manufacturer addresses an ongoing problem.
Think of it as a computer rather than a car - how often do you have to reboot your computer to fix an irritating issue?

Of course, the software should be better-written and more thoroughly debugged - and there should be on-going updates & bug-fixes. Problem is, there's little incentive to fix bugs in software for a product that is more than a year or two old and which has no simple update mechanism. If the car was online like a smartphone, Jaguar could push updates to it regularly and easily; as it is, it takes expensive dealer time to do an update, which Jaguar basically has to swallow.

And when it comes down to it, the infotainment system is not a safety-related issue, so the normal 'fix it before we get sued' incentive is not there either.

Not trying to excuse, just explain - and I've noted a few 'funnies' in other automotive software, so it's not just Jaguar.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I just want to say I find the infotainment system adequate for what it is used for. Some reviews on the XK say the screen is slow. However, I find it works just fine. I also have a 2012 Volvo S80 T6 AWD, and an Infiniti G37 convertible, both fully loaded. I find the Volvo's infotainment system a nightmare, has a few advantageous over the XK but for the most part I prefer the XK's, especially the XK's navigation system over the Volvo's. The Volvo's navigation system is the worst I've seen and the menu is very difficult to navigate. The Infiniti's infotainment system is superior and feels more modern; however, the XK's infotainment system gets the job done and is very functional IMO. I'm fine with the XK's infotainment system. It could be better, like everything, but works great IMO.

Last edited by DGL; 09-11-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

+1 dgl!!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Have there been many or any instances of the infotainment system dying requiring a replacement? Isn't it integrated into the climate control and radio as well? I would imagine that would require some big dollars. I currently own in my fleet an 01 LS430 with Nav, integrating the a/c which would be a 4-5K fix if it did a nose dive. Fortunately, I've heard of very few failures with this extremely old but reliable system.

Last edited by bocatrip; 09-11-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member

Have there been many or any instances of the infotainment system dying requiring a replacement? Isn't it integrated into the climate control and radio as well?
Not heard of any, but then I haven't been here long.

Yes, the system is the interface to loads of other stuff in the car, so you can't change the climate settings or make phone calls through the car audio while the system is frozen. But systems like the aircon just keep working using the last parameters they were given, as far as I can tell. It's just the user interface that's unavailable. I'm not sure about the audio - must try plugging my iPhone in the next time it happens and see if it bursts into life as usual. I suspect it won't, because that's part of the system rather than being something updated by the system.

Anyway, thus far it hasn't been big enough issue to put me off the car.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (09-12-2013)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Touchscreen inoperable after start up

OK. 3 weeks into my new (to me) stunning 2008 XKR, I started this morning and only had the JAG logo on the touchscreen. Tried restarting, getting out and locking to attempt a reset to no avail. Came to work anyway, went back to the car 20 mins later and all is fine. Cool. In the interim, I had gone to an online answer site (JustAnswer.com.. which was actually pretty good) and got this answer directly from a Jag tech.

"This problem is caused by one of the control modules on the fiber optic network not responding. There was a software update on the front screen that usually resolves this. A dealer will have to do this. It can even be low battery voltage on start up. We should try disconnecting the negative battery cable for ten minutes to see if the system will reset. I know you said you tried locking the vehicle but try locking it for ten minutes then running the vehicle ten minutes and locking it again for ten minutes. Let me know"

Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

One thing I've learned in my short period of Jaguar ownership is that if something weird occurs on these cars, the first culprit to be suspected should be battery voltage. The problems seem to be on cold start-up and following a period of driving, during which time, the battery is recharged, the screen issues disappear. I realize that not all gremlins are battery related, but its a damn good place to start.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,126 Likes on 1,302 Posts

BATTERY, battery, battery!!!! These cars need full voltage, all the time. If the car is not used daily it should be kept on a battery maintainer (CTEK is my favourite and is the one that Jaguar and other manufacturers sell under their own logo - and they sell them because modern cars need them!); if the battery is more tan 4 years old, it should be replaced. Virtually all electrical/electronic "problems" with these cars can be traced to the battery

The following users liked this post:
V6 JDT (06-01-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touchscreen periodically won't turn on