Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Touchscreen periodically won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by aacpa15215
My 2008 Jag XKR.
I had intermittent on and off with digital display. Mine was mostly battery related. It happened one time when I was at the Jag dealer to buy a part. I spoke to one of the techs and he quickly took the car to the repair bay and came back with the problem solved. He said it's an electrical issue and did a hard reset, by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and reconnecting. I recently got a new battery and always connect to my CTEK daily when car is in garage. The problem never repeated and a full battery seems to solve the problem.
You must truly be blessed to have a problem show up while at a dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-11-2018)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20th century technology

Jaguar must hire the Hyundai electronic staff as soon as possible. Just sayin

Old 10-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Software fix

Originally Posted by philbone
I have had the same intermittent issue.

When it happens I do one of the following, sometimes one will work and sometimes I have to move on to the next:
Restart
Shut down, restart and put immediately into reverse
Shut down and restart
Shut down , exit and lock, unlock and restart
Shut down, exit and lock, wait and then restart

With a tech background, I believe it is a software or hardware glitch common to booting up a primitive computer - also it COULD BE attributable to unreliable RAM in the system - this is what screws up most computers in our worlds.

I would put my dollar down for your nickel that it is NOT a battery issue, while many times this would be the culprit for our cars' other systems, the computer booting issue would be better explained by the above - this has happened to me after dealer checking battery, with new battery (Jag branded) and with full charge. More to the point it does not happen with such low charge that the engine cannot be cranked!

The temporary solution I would like to find would be one in which the info system could be "force shut down" so that it can reboot without having to wait or go through the circus acts described above - my neighbors must think I have a hard time deciding whether to leave the house or not.

Someone mentioned a frayed wire? ...any idea where?

Perhaps the master fuse could incorporate a power switch to shut it down?

I am sure that Jag would be about as interested in upgrading the computer on these as would Apple be interested in upgrading a hardware fault on a 2008 Mac G4.

Phil
Jaguar is only interested in selling the next car. Once purchased you are on your own boys and girls

Old 01-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Received 284 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Blank Touchscreen common issue?

We search the forum seeking advice on our problem, looking for common symptoms and solutions. Very quickly we lose objectivity and begin to think in terms of a single problem/solution.
The intermittent blank screen problems experienced and reported on this forum likely have several causes, some software and some hardware. The "reset" solutions proposed may work for both software and hardware problems. I recently solved an intermittent problem that I believe was related to the power section in the touchscreen module.
If the "reset" techniques seem to work dependably, consider visiting the dealer for a software update to the infotainment module and touchscreen module. (Note that Ford experienced a similar software glitch for 2011 through current production.)
If the blank screen failure is more random with overnight resets more likely to temporarily restore operation, try replacing the touchscreen. A late production screen is recommended as Denso may have improved design/production.
Finally, If you find a solution, please comment in this forum.
Best regards,
Bill

Old 01-20-2020, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
I recently solved an intermittent problem that I believe was related to the power section in the touchscreen module.

Finally, If you find a solution, please comment in this forum.
Best regards,
Bill
Please comment on your problem and solution. what were the specifics?

Old 01-23-2020, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the problem numerous times - have found it to be related to the battery. I now use a trickle charger whenever I don't drive the car regularly.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:08 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Sean,
I have a 2007 XK that I am currently working on now and have all of a sudden began getting a blank screen. The car usually starts up with the Jag emblem and then goes over to the AC controls for about two seconds then just goes blank. I can however get it to come back on for a few seconds(only) by pressing the home button. The screen was working just fine for several years while in and out of my shop waiting in line for it to be reassembled but somehow began faltering only after I nearly had everything together. I also just installed a brand new Sears AGM battery with absolutely no effect. I have tried pulling the terminals and doing the reset by touching terminals but still same ol same ol. The only thing that I have not tried is pulling the fuse.

Has anyone had any luck with getting the dealership to upgrade software to fix this yet? Or is there even any software updates available to remedy?

Old 01-27-2020, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kenbowen
Sean,
I have a 2007 XK that I am currently working on now and have all of a sudden began getting a blank screen. The car usually starts up with the Jag emblem and then goes over to the AC controls for about two seconds then just goes blank. I can however get it to come back on for a few seconds(only) by pressing the home button. The screen was working just fine for several years while in and out of my shop waiting in line for it to be reassembled but somehow began faltering only after I nearly had everything together. I also just installed a brand new Sears AGM battery with absolutely no effect. I have tried pulling the terminals and doing the reset by touching terminals but still same ol same ol. The only thing that I have not tried is pulling the fuse.

Has anyone had any luck with getting the dealership to upgrade software to fix this yet? Or is there even any software updates available to remedy?
There are software updates for some head units but that would be premature as you don't know the cause and you're assuming a refresh would fix it. Spend $150 on an LRII code reader and see what kind of DTC error codes you're getting. When it comes down to it, it's just a monitor. There could be a malfunction in the MOST bus loop or a frayed wire. Codes will steer you.

Another option:
I'm not a fan of part swapping but you can find 09 XF screens on eBay for as little as $50. Now they will not work properly without being programmed to the XK but it will still turn on and if it stays on, you know you have a monitor issue. If it does the same thing as your current head unit, you know your issue is before the head unit.

Both of these can be done before needing a tech.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

My '08 XKR vert screen has been blank since October. I have done all the resets, nada. Today I installed a new AGM battery, nada. Scanning the vehicle yields code U0257-00, lost communications with the front controls/display interface module. In this thread I have seen a TSB mentioned, although not a specific one, which calls for an update in the software. Anyone know the number on this TSB? Where I can read it? Anyone tried to have the software updated?

Car runs and looks as good as the day I drove it off the lot in Dec 2007, this is so frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by musacch
My '08 XKR vert screen has been blank since October. I have done all the resets, nada. Today I installed a new AGM battery, nada. Scanning the vehicle yields code U0257-00, lost communications with the front controls/display interface module. In this thread I have seen a TSB mentioned, although not a specific one, which calls for an update in the software. Anyone know the number on this TSB? Where I can read it? Anyone tried to have the software updated?

Car runs and looks as good as the day I drove it off the lot in Dec 2007, this is so frustrating.

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't assume you need an update. When you said your screen is blank, you mean black as in it doesn't appear to have power of you have the jaguar emblem? First check your fuse. It's fuse 14 in the rear panel. If your fuse is good and you're interested in some DIY, reply and we'll get you some next steps which would involve using a MOST Loop.
Amazon Amazon

The only TSB's for the head unit that I'm aware of is the one that displays ) degrees when it's 59 degrees outside and the other is when the unit displays celsius when fahrenheit is selected or V.V.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Sean W; 01-29-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the response. The screen is blank although once in awhile I can see the leaper and the word Jaguar but very, very faint.
The service guy who installed the new battery told me he checked the fuses. I will do it myself but do not know where the rear fuse box is located.
The MOST loop looks like a good approach and I am willing to give it a shot. How many should I purchase or is one set enough? Will I have to remove the touch screen and computer?
Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

If you can see the deeper on the screen I would assume you have power, but nonetheless, the rear fuse box is located between the rear seats. Be sure to check status of ground too. Pull the rear hump up and off, Lift the little back center panel straight up and out from the bottom. There's a pic below. You only need one set of MOST loops. One is female and one is male. You test one at a time.

The MOST bus is a series of modules linked together. The loop, allows you to disconnect (bypass one device at a time. I'll also attach that pic. You really need a manual. You can download that here:
These attachments assume you are familiar with automotive repair. Electrical training guide (for understanding MOST BUS. You are ON YOUR OWN with this stuff. Bypassing devices isn't rocket science but you should learn what you need to know. Bypassing MOST modules will create other errors but they will disappear once you reconnect.
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...-JAG_10-08.pdf

The files are big so give them time to download.

Vehicle Service Manual:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...150Service.pdf

Vehicle wiring diagram for your 08:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...75toB32752.pdf

Here's also a wealth of info including the same doc's I linked above:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2ssiyne7ma1fs

The last attachment is an unrelated TSB (I think) but provides instructions on how to remove the head unit.

The following users liked this post:
guy (06-17-2021)
Old 01-30-2020, 12:34 PM
Default Touchscreen Issues

Originally Posted by musacch

Thanks in advance.
I think if anyone, including Jaguar, had found what this issue is really all about, problem would have been dealt with long ago, but keep trying things, To me, there is something about voltage, the communications loop, i.e. MOS that just has a very bad design issue, very marginal software and circuits. However, saying that, I have had good luck with a battery change, clearly a difference, current one was about 3 years old. I did not put in AGM type, just a high quality Interstate. Also before this change, I would often have issue in mornings after car had set overnight. I do know that locking doors when you leave causes the system to shut down saving battery and helps. Also, when I would get in car, I would always start and "not" shift out of park until screen boot came up. Sometimes that might take 10 seconds, but always would wait and that really helped the system to go thru its boot mode and get things going.. If I shifted out of park too soon, would often see locked screen, seems boot process will not continue in the softward loop. This almost worked 100% until the battery change and now it seems much more robust in booting up. This is on my 2008XKR Coupe. Tx.
PS, I have to believe Jaguar knows the problem but does not want to pay for big recall, much easier for we owners to fight the issue.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:52 PM

Thanks very much. Lots to digest here before I dive in. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:47 PM
Received 284 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Technical bulletin jtb00328nas1 06 jan 2014

TECHNICAL BULLETIN JTB00328NAS1 06 JAN 2014
Looks like Jaguar HAS found a software glitch causing touch screen issues.
If your screen freezes but stays illuminated, very likely a software glitch.
A visit to the dealer should resolve it in short order.
As stated before, causes can vary. But, if you are still suffering with this issue, visit the dealer and reference the technical bulletin noted above.

If your screen is blank and touching random locations on the touchscreen will produce a touch-tone, the backlight on the screen is defective or the screen driver voltage is defective.
An illuminated screen that is "stuck" is most likely the software.
Replacing the touchscreen with a "breakers" unit changes both hardware and software. So, where are we now?
Please remember to post your results. Thanks, to those doing so.
Best Regards,
Bill

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SB-10065151-6903.pdf (66.5 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by Bill400; 01-30-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: additional info & spelling
Old 02-01-2020, 12:05 PM

If you have condensation, be on the lookout for a plugged duck bill tube, you will start to get wet carpet in passenger floor, this is not unusual, but is a real problem to fix on XKR's lots of postings on the forum site about this and how to fix. Your age of car is just right for the problem showing up

Old 02-01-2020, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill400
TECHNICAL BULLETIN JTB00328NAS1 06 JAN 2014
Looks like Jaguar HAS found a software glitch causing touch screen issues.
If your screen freezes but stays illuminated, very likely a software glitch.
A visit to the dealer should resolve it in short order.
As stated before, causes can vary. But, if you are still suffering with this issue, visit the dealer and reference the technical bulletin noted above.

If your screen is blank and touching random locations on the touchscreen will produce a touch-tone, the backlight on the screen is defective or the screen driver voltage is defective.
An illuminated screen that is "stuck" is most likely the software.
Replacing the touchscreen with a "breakers" unit changes both hardware and software. So, where are we now?
Please remember to post your results. Thanks, to those doing so.
Best Regards,
Bill
The TSB you reference applies to a different model year than musacch has and also carries a different Defect code. Not really a help for him as the software update would apply to a different head unit. They changed in 2010. But this should still provide some help for others with newer models and the error code noted in the TSB.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the info. The JTB is for model years 2010 - 2014 and mine is 2008; not sure if that means it is of no value to me. Any ideas?
You note "replacing the touchscreen with a "breakers" unit........" What is a "breakers" unit?
If and when I get this screen issue resolved I will be sure to post a description of the solution.

FYI, I had previously posted about this issue and explained my experience at Palm Beach Jag and will briefly summarize here......screen went blank, my local mechanic said a JTB suggested reprogramming that needed to be done by dealer. Took it to PB Jag and they claimed reprogramming did not resolve problem and suggested they replace the touchscreen and then the computer with one from another 08 Xk in their shop that was working. I said fine. They did and told me the other unit worked in my car so I needed new touchscreen and computer for about $6,500. I said thanks but no thanks put mine back together and I'll pick up the car. When I picked it up everything worked fine although no one at Jag could explain why. It stayed good for about a year.

The JTB you have sent is different from my previous experience so I will try again. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:20 PM

Been there, done that. Duck bill replaced several years ago after the leak began. If I remember correctly the Palm Beach Jag invoice was about $1300 to replace a $15 part. I complained to Jaguar North America and they sent me $500 gift certificate good for use at the dealer. I used $400 of them to pay for the last attempt to fix the screen issue!

Old 02-02-2021, 04:40 PM

Well it's been a year since my last post on this awful touchscreen issue and it has finally been resolved. Thanks so much for all the suggestions especially those associated with the fiber optic bypass gizmo and the many manual sections posted for my use. As I have noted in my prior posts, the screen went blank with the a/c set to a comfortable temp for a Florida car and I rarely listen to the radio anyway so I had no immediate need for a solution. When curiosity would get the best of me I'd try a few of the suggestions rec'd from this forum.

The great crew at Foreign Auto Services in Riviera Beach worked diligently to narrow the potential solutions and today they replaced the "display interface module" or audio module, a $550 part and all is well. Fell in love with the car all over again on the 10 minute ride back to Singer Island. All my planning for a fall purchase of a 2022 S5 Premium Plus Audi cab may well have been for naught.

Thanks again for all the inputs from this forum and I am so pleased to follow up with my positive result.

Last edited by musacch; 02-02-2021 at 04:42 PM. Reason: incorrect grammar
The following 5 users liked this post by musacch:
Bill400 (02-02-2021), guy (02-02-2021), kj07xk (02-02-2021), Sean W (02-02-2021), V7Sport (02-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Touchscreen periodically won't turn on