XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Trading XKR for Gallardo or Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Trading XKR for Gallardo or Ferrari

Guys,

While I love my 11' XKR and it is the coolest GT this side of SLS, DB9/Vanquish all of which are 2-3x the price I am wanting to row my own gears again! I also miss having more aftermarket options. So I am in the process of procuring a replacement toy to trade for. I am looking hard at a Gallardo 6spd. Also considering 355, 360 (430's are super rare in 6spd) and GT3. I even drove a V12 Vantage last week! Love the looks and sound. The ride was sportier yet less bouncy if you can believe that. The only thing that keeps me from V8 or V12 Vantage is that it isn't a full departure from XKR. Whereas Lambo or Ferrari would be my first Italians!

Anyhow, if anyone wants a Mina Gallery exhaust let me know. I have an ad in the classifieds. May also sell the H&R springs separately.

It has been a great experience - especially the R Academy. Whatever I end up doing I will keep you all posted.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think we all saw you had a bigger itch to scratch...changing mind with wheels etc.

Don't leave us for good here, keep us posted with your journey.

One piece of advice being a former Ferrari and Lambo owner, once you change anything on these cars with after market kit, it hits the resale value hard. Very, very hard.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Johnnny, I will. And I agree on modding exotics. That also holds true for XKR. Typical buyer wants a stock. That is why I will return my completely to stock when selling. However, the exhaust mod is one that actually helps value with some brands i.e. Tubi on Ferrari. Wheels will always be sold separately.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I forgot to add, you need to make an appointment at the dentist to make sure your teeth are up to grade, because you'll be smiling a hell of a lot hearing the high pitch howl of those V8's sitting behind you!!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Of all the cars you listed, I would go for the gt3. You should get a 2010 or newer- that's when they upgraded from the 3.6 to 3.8 L motor and there are minor changes to the body (rear wing, etc). When I was shopping for cars last year this car was on my short list (along with 997 TT S). The looks, handling, interior, gearbox, and sound are great. I almost bought a white 2011 with 800 mi (1 yr old) in perfect condition for $115k. The downsides to this car for me were no backseat and not a great daily driver (low front spoiler and Michelin pilot sport cup tires). The 991 gt3 is supposed to debut in Geneva in a couple of months, so I would wait til summer to buy a used 997, because they will drop a lot in price when the new model comes out. Other option is to put a deposit now on a 991 gt3!
I would avoid the older Ferraris due to expensive mantaince/repairs- I would get a a f430 or 458. Also, if u put any miles on them, value will plummet.
Gallardos are nice cars, especially Lp560, but most are E- gear. It's becoming harder to find a manual transmission. It's rumored the 991 gt3 will be Pdk only.
You could also consider a V10 r8- there are some manual transmissions.
Good luck with your search and keep us informed

Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

as much of an awesome car the XKR is, i dont blame you for wanting to jump into a super car.

id say stay away from the 355's...they tend to become maintenance nightmares. 360's are just turning into dinosaurs. Ive driven the 360....the XKR is more fun.

Ive driven both 430 and gallardo....and both coupe and convertible variants of each....i personally loved the gallardo the most....ESPECIALLY in spyder form. the sound of that screaming V10 behind your hear is orgasmic.

porsche is a porsche is a porsche. a true enthusiast will understand the difference between a base 911 and a gt3.....however from the drivers perspective, i dont know what its like to drive a GT3.

although it sounds kinda silly, its still true: be weary of supercar ownership. the jag can catch peoples eyes...but a supercar will attract people like lint. some people are downright ******** and will go out of their way to ruin your car

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I would look towards front engine Ferrari's. Easier to service, V12's, classic looks, and tend to be cars that can pile on miles. 550 Maranello with luggage; wow!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Oh, just go for it and go for broke: get the Aventador. It is the baddest, slickest beast on the road. It makes even Grandma's knees buckle as it goes by. Just like the Countach used to.

When I used to be running around with the Lamborghini Club, there was hardly a human being that would not spun around as the Countach would go by with its heavenly V12 sounds. Now, it is the Avantador... nothing else is even close!

Albert

Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Oh, just go for it and go for broke: get the Aventador. It is the baddest, slickest beast on the road. It makes even Grandma's knees buckle as it goes by. Just like the Countach used to.

When I used to be running around with the Lamborghini Club, there was hardly a human being that would not spun around as the Countach would go by with its heavenly V12 sounds. Now, it is the Avantador... nothing else is even close!

Albert
Aventador is a badass car, but it is not offered with a manual gearbox. It's becoming harder to find a car with a manual- no new Ferraris, jags, amg's, mclaren, Lamborghini, etc offer a 3rd pedal anymore.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I had the pleasure of trying both a 430 and a Gallardo. The 430 was wound too tight to be pleasent to drive and it didn't like being driven in "normal" conditions. It was bipolar, either go like hell or parked.

The Gallardo on the other hand, even with a clutch and 6spd, is the sort of car you could drive to work every day. Comfortable interior, loads of torque, beautiful sound, it really is a pleasent car for the driver. If only it wasn't so angular on the outside, that just doesn't do it for me.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
...The Gallardo on the other hand, even with a clutch and 6spd, is the sort of car you could drive to work every day. Comfortable interior, loads of torque, beautiful sound, it really is a pleasent car for the driver. If only it wasn't so angular on the outside, that just doesn't do it for me.
Same here about the angular design. Most old time Lamborghini aficionados never approved of the Gallardo design. Just does not have the "soul" that made Lamborghinis what they were. The Aventador is the first Lambo for many years to show that form and function.

Originally Posted by Octurbo
Aventador is a badass car, but it is not offered with a manual gearbox. It's becoming harder to find a car with a manual- no new Ferraris, jags, amg's, mclaren, Lamborghini, etc offer a 3rd pedal anymore.
Honestly, why bother with manual gearboxes these days? The various top paddle shifters accomplish a shift much faster (40ms for the Lambo) than manuals could but, the chief advantage of them is that they DO NOT require the very critical skills of heal-and-toe shifting that were a must for a well driven clutch-type car. No chance to blow your engine sky-high with an early downshift with computer controlled shifters as the software will not allow it to engage a lower gear at excessive RPMs. Not the case for manual boxes where you will blow your $75K engine sky-high with one wrong downshift.

While, as an old-time track racer well versed in heal and toe shifting, I still enjoy taking out my very fast manual car and play boy-racer in it, if called upon serious canyon or track work, I would take a modern paddle shifter every time.

Albert

Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Evoking,
My bias for Italian supercars certainly leans toward Ferrari rather than Lamborghini. As another member stated above, the styling of the Gallardo just turns me off, the Murcielago is a little better, but I really haven't liked a Lambo's looks since the Miura. The Aventador simply makes me shudder it is so hideous. However, if you're looking at Gallardos, Audi R8 V-10's are essentially the same car with tamer but more handsome (IMHO) styling. I think the Ferraris with a few exceptions are better choices, more classic, more sensuous, better handling....My itch for classic Italian design with more reliable American firepower was satisfied years ago with my De Tomaso Pantera. Someday, I'll restore it with more modern underpinnings as many Pantera owners have done to make them more drivable, better handling, and with more luxurious options. And it doesn't hurt their resale value either. Although I find most Ferrari models to be the epitome and definition of a supercar, and though I have never been a Porsche fan, having driven models of both, I would vote for the Porsche, German engineering, drivability, temperament. Good luck with your decision, I think you'll have fun with any of your choices. But if it's a replacement for the XKR, I am assuming these will not be everyday drivers, since any kind of mileage on a Ferrari or Lambo simply kills their values. So, what are you going to do for everyday enjoyment?

Attached Thumbnails Trading XKR for Gallardo or Ferrari-jr1n4843-800x533-.jpg   Trading XKR for Gallardo or Ferrari-jr1n7742-800x533-.jpg  
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you driven the Maserati Gran Tourismo? I drove one a few months ago and fell in love with it. I want a great car that I can actually drive daily (like my XK) and this is the 1st italian car I'd feel comfortable driving daily; not to mention that my 10 yr old actually fit in the back seat.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

If performance is your only aspiration have you considered a Nissan GT-R. Best valued supercar. Best resale value. Loads of mods available. Also, an everyday driver. However, will not turn heads like a jag, lambo or Ferrari. Manual transmissions are obsolete with dual clutch transmissions. Further, manual transmissions are a pain in the *** in traffic.