Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Undercarriage care

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Undercarriage care

So far I've only driven in a few rain showers or falls and not much driving on dirt or muddy roads. That being said the undercarriage of my car is still pretty clean and also because I store it on a lift it is easy to clean up any real mess . I notice that the touch free car wash I go to has an undercarriage wash and was wondering if others have used this. If so did you like the results and was there any negative reasons not to use it.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Using a gardening sprinkler under the car is popular as is just getting under the car with a pressure washer. I haven't been through any car wash in a car I owned in like 15 years.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

As a born and raised Southerner I have never cleaned my undercarriage unless I was driving in Salt water (lowering a boat or jetski in my Jeep). If I was up North I would rinse if I drove it on salted roads. Other than that, I don't look at it or care! I am just happy that I don't have the issues you Yankees have.

I also only clean the topside by my own hand. Even the touchless car washes rely on heavy chemicals to clean your car. To each their own.

Signed,

A filthy undercarriage Redneck Southerner.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Jagtoes - I am a nutter when it comes to car care and I have been known to crawl under my cars to make certain the underside stays looking good. Something of a "mental issue" that includes the belief that if the areas you can't see aren't clean - then the car is not clean. BTW - I also take all the plastic bits off the engine and clean under them as well.

While I do not take the Jaguar through automated car washes (it is really not so much a concern factor - it really is more that I enjoy hand washing that car) the "other car" gets washed regularly at an automated soft wash that includes a pretty powerful undercarriage spray section. It is one of those where you stay in the car for the wash and then vacuum yourself. I think it does keep things clear of any "dirt build-up" that "could" hold moisture or other contaminants that have the potential to accelerate / create deterioration / foster the start of something unwanted. The "other car" has +83K miles and still looks great underneath.

One suggestion.... I have found a product called "Sharkhide Metal Protectant"
that I have applied to all the aluminum / stainless steel pieces under the Jaguar (I.e. Mufflers, heat shields, select suspension components) after a detailed cleaning and found this really helps maintain that "brand new" look.

As I said... A nutter here.