XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upgrade: Paddle shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Octurbo
Looks like the Xkr-s gt has some nice, bigger metal paddles. I wonder if these will become available.
The 2013/2014 all-new Range Rover and Range Rover Sport come standard with plastic shift paddles, but the accessory catalog shows big red aluminum ones that can be fitted by a dealer.

Hopefully Tata doesn't forget about the Jaguars...

If it does become an accessory for XK/XF/XJ, then I think it would work on our current XKs because I think the paddles are the same among these cars.

The F-Type appears to have different paddles, and the standard ones in the F-Type look to be all-new metal ones anyway.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Octrubo,

Quote:
Looks like the Xkr-s gt has some nice, bigger metal paddles. I wonder if these will become available.

Really? Do they look like they'd fit our 'standard' paddle mounting spots? Now I need to dig for a parts list for the XKR-S GT and do a side-by-side comparison. That'd be best possible worlds, if there were a stock Jag part that bolted right in and was made of real alum and bigger! IMO at least...

Anyone have a part #? Anyone think they are even available as a part so soon?

Skeeter

Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackXKR

The F-Type appears to have different paddles, and the standard ones in the F-Type look to be all-new metal ones anyway.
They are actually plastic, just offered in different colors.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
They are actually plastic, just offered in different colors.
Disappointing. Really. The Range Rover accessory is:

Part No: VPLVS0187CAY

Description: Complete the look and feel of your steering wheel with these premium aluminum paddles. These Gearshift Paddles are machine polished, anodised and hand brushed to provide exceptional wear resistance with a premium finish.

You can find it on the LR website if you look at interior accessories for the all-new RRS.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Description: Complete the look and feel of your steering wheel with these premium aluminum paddles. These Gearshift Paddles are machine polished, anodised and hand brushed to provide exceptional wear resistance with a premium finish.

You can find it on the LR website if you look at interior accessories for the all-new RRS.
I thought the ones in the F type were metal too until i got to sit in a V6S. They were bronze colored ones and plastic.

Maybe next generation of Jaguars will come equipped with metals ones. But I, myself, don't mind the plastic.

I will take a look see how the RR paddles look.
Thanks!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

For the price of these vehicle lines, you would think they could have made them standard.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought some metal ones for BMW M3, cut them into a fitting groove and glued them on top of my plastic ones. Looks good and works fine.

Attached Thumbnails Upgrade: Paddle shifters?-img_20130416_195852.jpg  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM

Can you elaborate? Like the BMW part number, what do you mean by, "cut them into a fitting groove"?, and how'd you glue them in? Do they feel tight, like a one piece part?

Dying to know...

Skeeter

Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Can you elaborate? Like the BMW part number, what do you mean by, "cut them into a fitting groove"?, and how'd you glue them in? Do they feel tight, like a one piece part?

Dying to know...

Skeeter
I bought the paddles off ebay $40 (they are listed for M3). I removed the hinge from the paddles and used a rotary tool to make a groove (in the paddles) that seems to fit the steering column/wheel. I then glued them on top of the existing paddles using black goop. It was quite a hassle to cut and find the right gap/position for the paddles to fit and make sure that they were installed in a place that doesn't interfere with function (because of thickness, not a lot of space between under of steering wheel and paddle). Looks really good though but because of the size and shape of the steering wheel you find yourself placing your fingers on the back of the original paddles so maybe not so useful.

Last edited by djgold; 04-17-2013 at 10:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Skeeter (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 PM

Ok, just bought a pair like these:

Paddles Shifter for BMW E46 M3 SMG Shifter Paddles Paddle | eBay

I'll look into what adhesive to use... Good to know that if I really screw things up, that the stock Jaguar paddles are very inexpensive. Not sure how easy they would be to install, but hopefully I could undo any problems I create if I install poorly or if they get in the way...

Tanks again, I'll post pics if I take the plunge,

Skeeter

Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM

Oh, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the stock paddles are lacking...

From Car and Driver's F Type review:

"One gripe: We wish Jaguar had spent a few extra bucks to upgrade the shift paddles from molded plastic to cast metal."

2014 Jaguar F-type First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

On page 2...

Skeeter

Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could you get new ones cut from a CNC machine? Too expensive? I think the stock ones suck also...What does Aston Martin use?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Call me strange but I could never put paddles from crappy BMW in my beautiful Jag. If I did replace them at all, it would only be with ones I had made, or sourced from Aston Martin or other British marques such as McLaren. Nothing else would feel "appropriate", especially anything German. I would subconciously feel my car's antibodies continually fighting to get them out.

Last edited by JustNiz; 05-01-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Cee Jay (01-06-2015)
Old 05-03-2013, 02:13 AM

Chaos,

Take a look at the first page, I posted a picture of the nice looking Aston shift paddles, much nicer piece.

I don't care if the original part is from a BMW or a Kia... As long as it is made of nicer material and fits well, I'm down for the upgrade.

I suspect that having custom parts made from metal would cost serious $$$ and thus the conclusion that frankensteining together something would get the job done at a reasonable cost.

Unfortunately, I don't think that attaching them like DJGOLD did will work for me. The old paddles show and the size and distance doesn't seem to align right. To do it properly, I'd want to REMOVE the original paddles, cut off the face (contact area) and then stick the aluminum shifters (from whatever car you like, the BMW shifter looks fine and is well machined).

Only issue is I'm not sure how to remove the stock paddles. Anyone know? Is there a screw behind it that allows removal, or does the steering wheel have to come off to get in behind it? If so that'll effectively kill the project for me. No desire to get that deep into it.

But GAWD do the stock shifters feel cheap. Hollow, lightweight, slippery plastic. The action is fine, but the hollow and low grade feel is without question the worst control suface/switch interface in the car. By far. Plastic is bad enough, but hollow?! Argh!

Surprised that there isn't an off the shelf fix for it.

Anyone know how to take the stock paddles out?

Skeeter

Old 06-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Has anyone tried these on the XK? I saw them in the LR accessories website for my Evoque. I order 2 sets of these red aluminum paddles. One for my Evoque and one for my XKR. I think they will fit the Jag because looking at my Evoque and Jag's paddle shifter, they look the same and the height and width are the same also.

These are expensive at MSRP: $581.79 for a set. I was able to order 2 sets from an UK dealer for $375 each set + shipping from UK. It'll take 2 weeks to get here though.

Looking at my Evoque (left) and Jag (right) paddles...they look the same.

Attached Thumbnails Upgrade: Paddle shifters?-vplvs0187cay.jpg   Upgrade: Paddle shifters?-paddles_zps9f8d509f.jpg  
djgold (06-04-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Cool, they do indeed look identical.

Please do post your experiences with them back here once you have received and tried to fit them. I for one will definitely buy a set if they just plug and play in an XKR without the need for any customization of the mounting points.

Not sure red would work with my interior though. Are there any alternative colors? Any if it would be possible to strip the red anodising off without also damaging the brushed aluminum surface?

Last edited by JustNiz; 06-05-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Nuts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Cool, they do indeed look identical.

Please do post your experiences with them back here once you have received and tried to fit them. I for one will definitely buy a set if they just plug and play in an XKR without the need for any customization of the mounting points.

Not sure red would work with my interior though. Are there any alternative colors? Any if it would be possible to strip the red anodising off without also damaging the brushed aluminum surface?
So you're going to mod a mod!?! Its nice to know I'm in good company and others are as insane as me at all these tweaks and in the quest for "exactly how they want their car."

Thought I would help and offer this:

VPLVS0187MMU
That's the part number for the Aluminum color version of the LR Paddles.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I am also very interested in this mod...I think the best way to go is either the XKR-S GT paddles (probably almost impossible to get from Jaguar) or the Evoque paddles. I put in a call to one of the guys at the Houston dealership who is going to look into this for me. If they are available and do fit, I'm getting a set in aluminum for sure.

Thanks for all the input in this thread.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Will definitely post once I get them. As Mike mentioned, there are silver aluminum ones but they are not available yet in the US or UK. If anyone is interested in the dealer in UK to compare pricing, just email me. I've bought parts from them with no problems and they are big on the Rover/Evoque forum. Only downside is the wait to ship from UK to US. They can also order Jag parts as I also ordered a F-Type bronze paddles just to compare. The F-Type paddles are less expensive as they are plastic.

BTW, does anyone know how to remove these paddles? These red and silver aftermarket paddles are direct replacements and not overlays of the existing paddles.

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 06-06-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
BTW, does anyone know how to remove these paddles? These red and silver aftermarket paddles are direct replacements and not overlays of the existing paddles.
My diagram shows a single torx bolt.

GhostriderXKR08 (06-06-2013)

Quick Reply: Upgrade: Paddle shifters?