XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?

I have a white XKR and wants to change the color (can't pain it..it's a lease) by wrap it in 3M 1080 Glossy Black or red and are looking at two options (red or glossy back).
I like the look of both cars but I wanted to get your honest opinion on which look to go with knowing that my current XKR has the portfolio package (polished wheels).

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?-10.jpg   Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?-02.jpg   Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?-14.jpg   Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?-01.jpg   Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?-img_0976%5B1%5D.jpg  

Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

1. RED
2. Black

Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Matte black. I'm actually doing mine matte white with 3M.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

Guys, check out how long the warranty is on these wraps. I read that they can start unpeeling around the edges in as little as 16 months. If you live in a sunny, warm climate maybe sooner....

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (07-02-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM

I was one of the first to use 3M wrap on my car. I had my G35 coupe wrapped in matte black 5 years ago, and sold it last summer. The car only went out in summer and was garage kept but still... After 4 years it still looked brand new. Don't believe the haters, this stuff is tough when installed correctly...

Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'd do neither color if wrapping an XK... be a little more daring, IMO.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I want to see an XKR in p*ssy magnet yellow!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I'd do neither color if wrapping an XK... be a little more daring, IMO.
I have a pic of our 07 XK race car wrapped..well in Jaguar skin of course. In conjuction with the New then Houston Zoo Jaguar exhibit. And Jaguar was donating a car in white(no frills non production XK) till Ford sold Jaguar and there went that

Old 07-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

What about using plasti dip? That is what I am looking at right now

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by samy
I have a white XKR and wants to change the color (can't pain it..it's a lease) by wrap it in 3M 1080 Glossy Black or red and are looking at two options (red or glossy back).
I like the look of both cars but I wanted to get your honest opinion on which look to go with knowing that my current XKR has the portfolio package (polished wheels).

Since the car is a LEASE car, I would make 100% certain that your lease contract allows you to do such a thing. You may void the lease agreement, and thus cause harm to yourself on the value of the car, when the lease agreement terminates.

I don't think that any wrap can be a subsitute for a real paint job. My Formula F1000 pictured here had some 3M wrap (used for paint protection and chips from the race track). After a period of time, the edges of the wrap started to fray away from the painted surface, and since I live in the southwest, the intense sun, had a tendency to fade some of the edges of the wrap material. I would highly recommend that you DO NOT do this to a leased Jaguar. See if you can get around the lease and either buy the color that you want, or select a new XK/XKR under a lease program that you want. Remember that once the lease is terminated, the dealership still has to sell that car to someone, and the wrap material would not be that easy to peel off.

My car looked great from 10 ft, but looking at the car very close up, you could see that some of the wrap material that was cut in certain areas, started to peel and fade slightly.

In addition, the wrap needs to be installed professionaly at a very large cost to do an entire car, and unless the wrap is professionally cut to exact size of each body panel, any installer may have a very hard time conturing the 3M wrap material to curves of the body. Also keep in mind this wrap is a vinyl material that does have a nice mil thickness, however; you will still get rock penetration that can damage the surface of the 3M wrap vinyl, which will become very visual, when standing close to the car.

Best to you if you decide to go this route to get what you want.

If I owned the leased Jaguar XKR, I WOULD NOT even consider doing this, based on my experience with my Formula F1000 pictured below.

Estimated cost to wrap an entire car with the 3M 1080 Vinyl wrap is probably $2500 to $3500, professionally installed. Don't think you could possibly complete the work yourself.

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?-f1000-transport-4.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 07-03-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Executive (07-16-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Wrapping Cars, Dipping Cars, and Slamming Cars: I don't understand why people do this to their rides, especially to a Jaguar. Williams Lyons is probably rolling over in his grave.

I can see doing this for specific advertising reasons, but dipping and wrapping cars just seems ridiculous.

It's one of those things that probably is neat for a little while but then the neatness and novelty eventually wears off.

Wrapping cars is kind of like a really pretty girl who doesn't need anything done, but get's a boob job because she thinks she'll get more attention. In reality she looks better just left alone. Eventually she get's the implants removed because her ***** start to sag. The girl realizes she never needed any enhancements done in the first place.

Last edited by BrownRobin; 07-03-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 PM

Friends of mine own a shop that does wrap jobs, a guy just got his XKR convertible done in mirror gold (nugget). Not sure it looks good but sure grabs attention... Here are some others...

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?-263516_10151176761303859_565752140_n.jpg   Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?-5723500647_ee839938c6_z.jpg  
Mike V (07-18-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by djgold
Friends of mine own a shop that does wrap jobs, a guy just got his XKR convertible done in mirror gold (nugget). Not sure it looks good but sure grabs attention... Here are some others...
The chrome one looks awesome. Man, too many choices when sky's the limit. I'd be worried about it looking like a sticker after a while.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownRobin
Wrapping Cars, Dipping Cars, and Slamming Cars: I don't understand why people do this to their rides, especially to a Jaguar. Williams Lyons is probably rolling over in his grave.

I can see doing this for specific advertising reasons, but dipping and wrapping cars just seems ridiculous.

It's one of those things that probably is neat for a little while but then the neatness and novelty eventually wears off.

Wrapping cars is kind of like a really pretty girl who doesn't need anything done, but get's a boob job because she thinks she'll get more attention. In reality she looks better just left alone. Eventually she get's the implants removed because her ***** start to sag. The girl realizes she never needed any enhancements done in the first place.
I agree with you, I thought about doing it on the front to protect the bumper and even this, I could not do it. It makes no sense a film will protect your car or paint, it's sounds a bit like resoling a leather shoes with a plastic, it will not breathe, I am not saying a paint need to breathe but....or it will for sure protect it for a while , and then you will see the whole car going into a mess, no way a film could last and replacing them etc...sun light uv on your paint may not allow it for very long years.

I don't want break the spirit of those those who have done it.
Or maybe you need to update it every year before it start messing around.
all scratch done during the service, of course not intentional, may still go through as it is much harder than road stuff on your front end. I have one of 2 inches long , I can see a yellow surface, not sure if it is the alu but it went very deep, while removing a wheel I will guess or installing it.

While keeping good distances and accelerating when there is nobody really keep the car perfect even in the front end. I was expecting much more.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 07-06-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 AM

When it comes to car wrap/vinyl you have no idea what you're talking about... sorry...

Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by djgold
When it comes to car wrap/vinyl you have no idea what you're talking about... sorry...
I am sure, the thing is, we just do not see any report like 5 years old wrap/vinyl

Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by samy

This white polaris is superb...

Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2007 black XKR and after 6 years it has it's fair share tiny scratches and dings. I think I wanna do mine in matte black or even a glossy yellow this fall. Anybody know of any reputable shops in the DC Metro area (DC, VA or MD) and how much a 3M wrap and install costs

Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Here is a good place to read up on vinyl wraps.... About Vinyl Wraps at FELLERS, the World's Largest Wrap Supply Company

The negative factor that i see is the imperfections with the vinyl wrap. As stated in the link, you will get bubbles and peeling.

I have yet to see a perfect vinyl wrapped car. The last vinyl wrapped exotic i looked over recently was SLS AMG. It was in no way up to my standards.

The door handles looked the worse. Which is understandable, since the wrap isn't like paint, you can't cover everything and have a smooth surface.

May be okay to some, but i couldn't live with it.

I actually prefer the original color on your XKR over the black. It shows off the silhouette and looks prettier.

v8cat (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 06:37 PM

I disagree, you can have a car wrapped perfectly if they take the time to do it right. Remove bumpers, lights, window trims, grills, etc... My G35 was perfect when it was done and it was perfect 5 years later, no bubbles, no folds, no peels, nothing... The door handles were removed and wrapped off the car... Of course to get the job done right you have to pay. It takes MANY hours of labour to do it right...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?