XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

It's hard to imagine wanting to wrap my Jaguar over a giant vinyl condom, even if companies can get it looking perfect.

I guess I am a purist and once you start tinkering with something, it begins to erode the originality of one's car.

It would bug me just knowing that I have a big sticker on my car. Like I said earlier, it's like a woman getting breast implants.

Perhaps there is evidence that the vinyl is durable for at least 6 years, however, at the end of the day vinyl will never be as authentic or beautiful as the real deal, which is the original paintwork.

I may not know what I am talking about or may not have all the information about vinyl wrap.... but I do know that you will never see a Jaguar purist do this to their car. It's attention getting tackiness.

I recently saw a yahoo article about a Ferrari owner in London who had the entire outer car covered in a blackish suede skin. I would hate to see Jaguar owners who vinyl wrap their cars get on board this additional trend.

Last edited by BrownRobin; 07-17-2013 at 04:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrownRobin:
jagxk2008 (07-18-2013), v8cat (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

As with any mod, you pay your money and you take your chances. The installation cost, lack of guarantee for years, and impact on resale value are all considerations that would make some just sell the car and buy another. Factory paint will last a lifetime with a bit of care...anything else is less certain.

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownRobin
It's hard to imagine wanting to wrap my Jaguar over a giant vinyl condom, even if companies can get it looking perfect.

I guess I am a purist and once you start tinkering with something, it begins to erode the originality of one's car.

It would bug me just knowing that I have a big sticker on my car. Like I said earlier, it's like a woman getting breast implants.

Perhaps there is evidence that the vinyl is durable for at least 6 years, however, at the end of the day vinyl will never be as authentic or beautiful as the real deal, which is the original paintwork.

I may not know what I am talking about or may not have all the information about vinyl wrap.... but I do know that you will never see a Jaguar purist do this to their car. It's attention getting tackiness.

I recently saw a yahoo article about a Ferrari owner in London who had the entire outer car covered in a blackish suede skin. I would hate to see Jaguar owners who vinyl wrap their cars get on board this additional trend.
Even comdos can break immune system due to the spermicide...I can understand if you pay 140k that you wnat a vinyl for the first year but if it is to be update every year, i rather keep the money to maintain the paint, tires and do some quicker oil change.

I will use the money to buy Pirelli every 8k miles so I have great gum all year long....

Old 07-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you guys are missing the point. Vinyl wrap is reversible and doesn't cause damage to your original paint. The whole idea of wrapping your car is making look it original without it being permanent. It won't affect resale value if you can just remove it to please the buyer and it will have protected the car/paint for those years it was on there. Think of it like clear vinyl that you put on the bumper and hood to protect from rock chips. Same deal but on the whole car. Why would I be less of a Jaguar puriste because I want my car to stand out and be like nothing else. I can change style/color every year if I wanted to keep it fresh... Anyways...

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

I want a white polaris!

Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
I want a white polaris!
One of the best XK colors IMO, along with Winter Wheat (I think that's what it's called) among a few others...

Old 07-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

I was about to buy a 2012 while polaris convertible xk, and they sold it the day after. At le Port-marly, I was waiting and searching for those headlights series before to buy them the xk 2010, a good thing i should not forget from them, is that they offered me 34k euros for my xk 2008 with 85000 km. And if I remember well at 30 k euros I could not sell it. These cars under 40 k e or$ sells better for them, they can easily ask more if one car worth 32 they can sell it for 38-40, but if one cars worth more than 40 k it is a different range of sales.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 07-18-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by djgold
I think you guys are missing the point. Vinyl wrap is reversible and doesn't cause damage to your original paint. The whole idea of wrapping your car is making look it original without it being permanent. It won't affect resale value if you can just remove it to please the buyer and it will have protected the car/paint for those years it was on there. Think of it like clear vinyl that you put on the bumper and hood to protect from rock chips. Same deal but on the whole car. Why would I be less of a Jaguar puriste because I want my car to stand out and be like nothing else. I can change style/color every year if I wanted to keep it fresh... Anyways...
DJGOLD:

As stated before in my post, I wrapped my formula race car in some 3M vinyl for paint protection on the track, and now I know I would never do it on my Jaguar.

However, let us know how you make out, if you really do it, what color you choose, let us know the cost, and let us know how well the vinyl turned out. You can be the experiment to Jaguar owners. Be sure to post some photos.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I'm going with the "Black Mamba" textured wrap.

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?-1888.png  
Old 11-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why.......................

Old 11-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Samy, my veiw is leave it alone, looks awesome in white, a stunning car the way it is, not many white ones where i am, personally ,would love an xkr in white, don't destroy a good looking car.

The following 2 users liked this post by powerhouse:
JimC64 (11-06-2014), ralphwg (11-07-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Vinyl wrapping is highly misunderstood and as they say "a confused mind always says NO!". Vinyl wrapping has been around a LONG time. Fedex and Southwest lanes have been doing it for years. Some of the $25M corp jets are wrapped. IF done right it is almost impossible to tell they've been wrapped. It is revesible with zero damage to the car. The colors, and if wanted graphics also, are infinite. On the various airplane forums I frequent you hear the exact same resistance against it with claims that are equally unfounded. A good wrap can run upwards of $3K and are about as durable now as paint in terms of wear contrary to where this concept was only a couple years ago. After a mass rejection in the aircraft industry it is very quickly catching on - and if it can take speeds over 500 mph in pelting rain or hail it certainly can take what little abuse drivers can put it through.

It will not rust underneath
It is reversible
The seams are extremely hard to see
It wears pretty much as well as paint - 6 years is about what you might get out of paint in Ariz, Nev, Cal, Flor sun if left outside
It does not reduce the resale if done right as the buyer can remove it if they want
It goes around compound curves just fine

If you go to the better shops you'll see them packed with Lambos. Ferrari's. Range Rovers so it is not a "Hood" mod as some may claim.
Pick your installer well... there are some awesome colors, true pearl whites, cool met yellows, deep met blood red, even chrome, gold, semi-gloss or mat finishes that look great.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?-10409144_10152269482437582_7365569337163363932_n.jpg  
Old 11-06-2014, 07:13 PM

I wonder if they have a "Chrome Mamba"?

Old 11-06-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Leeper
Vinyl wrapping is highly misunderstood and as they say "a confused mind always says NO!". Vinyl wrapping has been around a LONG time. Fedex and Southwest lanes have been doing it for years. Some of the $25M corp jets are wrapped. IF done right it is almost impossible to tell they've been wrapped. It is revesible with zero damage to the car. The colors, and if wanted graphics also, are infinite. On the various airplane forums I frequent you hear the exact same resistance against it with claims that are equally unfounded. A good wrap can run upwards of $3K and are about as durable now as paint in terms of wear contrary to where this concept was only a couple years ago. After a mass rejection in the aircraft industry it is very quickly catching on - and if it can take speeds over 500 mph in pelting rain or hail it certainly can take what little abuse drivers can put it through.

It will not rust underneath
It is reversible
The seams are extremely hard to see
It wears pretty much as well as paint - 6 years is about what you might get out of paint in Ariz, Nev, Cal, Flor sun if left outside
It does not reduce the resale if done right as the buyer can remove it if they want
It goes around compound curves just fine

If you go to the better shops you'll see them packed with Lambos. Ferrari's. Range Rovers so it is not a "Hood" mod as some may claim.
Pick your installer well... there are some awesome colors, true pearl whites, cool met yellows, deep met blood red, even chrome, gold, semi-gloss or mat finishes that look great.

Removable, protects the paint, Why not? I like the more subtle colors and they have some nice ones. Google "Brushed Titanium wrap" for example.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

First of all, Red rather than black. Secondly, we have a high end wrap shop in our neighborhood from which I picked up my business partner's brand new Viper after it got a clear bra on the front, mirrors, rockers and A posts. Every time I am there, very high end cars are being wrapped. The last time a brand new Lamborghini Aventador was getting a whole car wrap. (Although that car is so ugly, no wrap of any kind outside of being wrapped in an extra large box could help it). No one submitting a $250,000 car is going to settle for something less than perfect, so I would not be too concerned with some of the naysayers' comments. I do not, however, think it can be done for $2500-3000 complete. The clear wrap done to the few areas on my friend's Viper was $2500 alone, so I would budget $4-6000 for a whole car wrap.

Get what you want so that you can enjoy it!

Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by djgold
Matte black. I'm actually doing mine matte white with 3M.
How much is that going to run? Coupe or vert?

Old 11-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

If I ever wrap my XKR, I want it wrapped to look like the TWR XJS racecar!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by brutal
wally wally wally wally wally wally world!!

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrap Jaguar XKR...your opinion?