XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?

Old 02-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?

Hello everyone, well I'm a longtime silent member and after researching, studying the market, and test driving more than a few of them, I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on this XKR.

I always value everyone's candid feedback and I wanted to have the XKR owners give me their opinion on this car. I've managed to reach out to the owner and he seems like a very honest & true XK fan. He knew all about the various little "quirks" that are known to plague the car and he has assured me his XKR doesn't suffer from any of them. He even sent me video of the car showing the exhaust system and a general walk around. Everything seems to me to be in order.

I'm currently the high bidder and based on the owner, he said he'd be willing to end the auction for $23k since he supposedly already has his eye on the Aston Martin he wants to buy to replace the XKR. Everything seems very clean and there's no holes in his story. Should I pull the trigger and close the deal or try to ride out the auction. What do you guys think of this car from a value proposition? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-XKR-XKR-Super-Charged-Coupe-/281923017795?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41a3ebdc43:g :BxQAAOSwa-dWm2BK&item=281923017795

Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

You asked for it so here goes...

That car looks excellent! I'd pay that price with the condition that it passes a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) at the local Jag dealership... those usually run under $200. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2016, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Looks like a very nice car and well cared for, too. I have two XKRs, one X100 convertible with approximately 160K miles and 1 X150 coupe with about 100,000 miles both of which are wonderful cars. These cars are capable of very long lifespans if properly cared for and you should be able to enjoy this one for years to come. Price is about right. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I did a quick search and here's what I found. I would be extra careful and dig a little deeper.

Appears to be lots of stories on this one, like need to sell buying new house. Need to sell buying Aston Martin.

Buyer beware....hope this info helps. I would retract the bid immediately until you determine the real status of this car. Hard to trust any sale on eBay especially a $23,000 item.

Click the images below to enlarge.

Attached Thumbnails Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?-2007-jaguar-xkr.jpg   Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?-2007-jaguar-2.jpg   Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?-2007-jaguar-3.jpg   Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?-2007-jaguar-4.jpg   Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?-2007-jaguar-5.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 02-03-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

So this car has 3 different prices on it. It looks a little fishy to me. More investigation required. Good luck

Old 02-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

If its real the price is fantastic. I just sold my 08 XK (not R) with 73kmiles for $23K and thought the buyers got a steal.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:06 PM

Hi everyone. So I took notice of the differing prices that a few of you posted. I reached out to the seller and he says he knows nothing of it. He checked the link I sent him of the advert and he says that all info is wrong and that the picture isn't even one of his car. He says, and I'm inclined to agree, that it appears these are just some 3rd party advertising sites reposting public domain information about the XKR in the hopes of driving traffic. So no luck on scoring an XKR for $17k : (

I'm reaching out to a local jaguar dealer and going to get a PPI done. If it checks out clean then I will ask to end the auction early and try to steal this thing for $23k! I have searched all of eBay & craigslist & auto trader and it's hard to find a sub 75k mile car clean title coupe out there for less than $25k. Most of them have super high miles or have a salvage title. Way to many XK's with salvage/rebuilt titles out there!

Hopefully once the deal is done I'll post pics of her and try to figure out how to post a link to audio of the exhaust system. It really does sound muscular & throaty, as one would expect for a SC 4.2L.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Nothing wrong with eBay if you do due diligence. I've bought two Jags on eBay, an 05 XKR coupe and an 08 XK, both were just as advertised when I recieved them.
Make sure you're dealing with a reputable person who has a high score and good feedback, contact them and get extra info including photographs. eBay are very concerned they maintain thier reputation, without it they are out of business, so any problems and they will get involved up to reimbursement if necessary.
Regards,

Old 02-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I'm from the see and feel group. I'd be extra careful with this one.... especially since it's internet and a Jaguar.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

You are on the right track with the Jaguar Dealer inspection. I would go one step further and have a body shop experienced in aluminum work (preferably Jaguar) also inspect the car. The Jaguar dealer probably has a body shop that they work with and can recommend. If those both check out I would pull the trigger. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Veyronman
Hi everyone. So I took notice of the differing prices that a few of you posted. I reached out to the seller and he says he knows nothing of it. He checked the link I sent him of the advert and he says that all info is wrong and that the picture isn't even one of his car. He says, and I'm inclined to agree, that it appears these are just some 3rd party advertising sites reposting public domain information about the XKR in the hopes of driving traffic. So no luck on scoring an XKR for $17k : (

I'm reaching out to a local jaguar dealer and going to get a PPI done. If it checks out clean then I will ask to end the auction early and try to steal this thing for $23k! I have searched all of eBay & craigslist & auto trader and it's hard to find a sub 75k mile car clean title coupe out there for less than $25k. Most of them have super high miles or have a salvage title. Way to many XK's with salvage/rebuilt titles out there!

Hopefully once the deal is done I'll post pics of her and try to figure out how to post a link to audio of the exhaust system. It really does sound muscular & throaty, as one would expect for a SC 4.2L.
Look here , how many do you want 2007 Jaguar XK-Series For Sale in Poughkeepsie, NY - CarGurus

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (02-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I agree with the above. The photos in post #1 are not fully stock. There is no "R" on the front grille of the 2007 XKR. There is no "R" emblem on the brake calipers as seen in the photos. It is an aftermarket Jaguar emblem. It is not standard.

The photos on eBay can be found on other websites with the same VIN, priced thousands lower. The XKR in post #1 was previously listed on eBay then the ad was pulled. More due diligence is warranted on this XKR, and the mileage is considered high. This XKR can easily be considered a daily driver by the past owners.

I agree with Jagtoes, there are many choices to choose from in the 2007 & 2008 models. Which did you really want?

Personally, I would retract the bid and continue to shop.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:26 PM

jagtoes & richzak,

your input is appreciated. I too concluded the "R" grill badge isn't a factory option; but even if it was placed on there by the owner, would you not agree it looks good? I think it looks nice and tasteful. I assume the R-badges on the calipers were done so because as I've often read on this forum, the factory ones simply fade out, and this might be a better option to have a "3-D" badge than the standard "flat plate" one which is a much pricer replace that requires I believe the rear calipers to come off. Both are minor cosmetic "upgrades" in my opinion and it's not as if this guy is slapping a bunch of "R" badges on a standard XK. Infact, if I don't buy this one, I will definitely like to add the "R" badge on the grill at least to make it like the later model years.

I've done a search nationwide for the an XKR. Searched for a 2007-2010, with less than 75K miles, is a coupe, and priced under $25K (or able to negotiate to less than $25K selling price), and one that is light colored because dark cars in my humble opinion often hide some of the XK's bodylines & nose grill features which detracts a bit, and you are very limited. I pulled carfax on this XKR and it's clean. The owner seems like a very genuine car guy and I've dealt with enough sellers to know the "shady" ones from the "sincere" ones. He clearly has pride in his car and when I pressed him on the ole " looking to upgrade to an Aston Martin" line he gave; the guy demonstrated his resume by sharing some pictures of his previous cars he's owned, including a previous Gen-XKR as well as his current cars in his garage by showing me multiple photos including the exhaust video I requested; and from what I can see, he has an E60 M5 and a new bodystyle Escalade (the 2015 one) as well as 2 motorcycles in the same garage as the XKR (I think he has a 4 car garage). I'm not to worried about his reputation or possible neglect of the car. He even detailed the Aston he's looking to buy and it's a 2008 model with a "Power Pack" that he is getting for a good, albeit, pricer deal. Something in the range of $40-50K. He seems like a pretty genuine car guy who knows his XKR in & out and I think he told me he was only like 31 years old and so I'm curious what he does for a living!

He's taking the Jag to get the PPI tomorrow. I will follow up with the results and share with everyone here. If he's a rich guy or something, maybe he'll have an appreciation for my enthusiasm for the XKR and cut me a super good deal.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Veyronman
jagtoes & richzak,

your input is appreciated. I too concluded the "R" grill badge isn't a factory option; but even if it was placed on there by the owner, would you not agree it looks good? I think it looks nice and tasteful. I assume the R-badges on the calipers were done so because as I've often read on this forum, the factory ones simply fade out, and this might be a better option to have a "3-D" badge than the standard "flat plate" one which is a much pricer replace that requires I believe the rear calipers to come off. Both are minor cosmetic "upgrades" in my opinion and it's not as if this guy is slapping a bunch of "R" badges on a standard XK. Infact, if I don't buy this one, I will definitely like to add the "R" badge on the grill at least to make it like the later model years.

I've done a search nationwide for the an XKR. Searched for a 2007-2010, with less than 75K miles, is a coupe, and priced under $25K (or able to negotiate to less than $25K selling price), and one that is light colored because dark cars in my humble opinion often hide some of the XK's bodylines & nose grill features which detracts a bit, and you are very limited. I pulled carfax on this XKR and it's clean. The owner seems like a very genuine car guy and I've dealt with enough sellers to know the "shady" ones from the "sincere" ones. He clearly has pride in his car and when I pressed him on the ole " looking to upgrade to an Aston Martin" line he gave; the guy demonstrated his resume by sharing some pictures of his previous cars he's owned, including a previous Gen-XKR as well as his current cars in his garage by showing me multiple photos including the exhaust video I requested; and from what I can see, he has an E60 M5 and a new bodystyle Escalade (the 2015 one) as well as 2 motorcycles in the same garage as the XKR (I think he has a 4 car garage). I'm not to worried about his reputation or possible neglect of the car. He even detailed the Aston he's looking to buy and it's a 2008 model with a "Power Pack" that he is getting for a good, albeit, pricer deal. Something in the range of $40-50K. He seems like a pretty genuine car guy who knows his XKR in & out and I think he told me he was only like 31 years old and so I'm curious what he does for a living!

He's taking the Jag to get the PPI tomorrow. I will follow up with the results and share with everyone here. If he's a rich guy or something, maybe he'll have an appreciation for my enthusiasm for the XKR and cut me a super good deal.
Both myself and I am sure Jagtoes, wants the best for you. We are only voicing some serious input. It is a smart idea to have the local dealer inspect the XKR. Is this car located in LA or TX? Previous ads I have seen show the car is currently located in Allen, Texas north of Dallas. It is considered an affluent community.

I sincerely hope it works out for you.

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,143 Likes on 3,081 Posts

"Page 1 of 13"

Old 02-04-2016, 07:22 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Car looks OK to me, although there are a few non-factory custom touches as already described. I am also not convinced that privacy glass was a Castle Bromwich fitment...

The wisest thing in my opinion is to have it checked by Jaguar, particularly for evidence of accident repair. The fact that the seller is apparently allowing you to do this is a massively good sign.

These cars are generally very reliable. The mechanicals are pretty much bulletproof and Jaguar seems to have got the thing right first time. The V8 teething troubles in previous Jaguar models were ironed out by about 2001, and the German ZF gearbox is the same as fitted to many non-Jaguar luxury cars. There are only a few factory field remedies for this breed of XK/XKR - unlike the X-Type, which has scores of them.

Last edited by Bogbrush; 02-04-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,279 Posts

13 pages of beautiful cars, but not one XKR vert in my preferred color... Guess I'll continue to enjoy my XK.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

When I clicked your link, I also saw this one as a suggested car that looked really good

Jaguar XKR Stunning XKR | eBay

Old 02-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
13 pages of beautiful cars, but not one XKR vert in my preferred color... Guess I'll continue to enjoy my XK.
It took me 6 months to find mine. All I could see were Black , white or gray converts. At that time there were more coups then converts available. I had maybe 10-15 dealers looking for me and they would give me a monthly update on either trades or lease cars. A dealer from NH called me with the IRR the day the previous owner drove it in to trade it for an F-Type. Done deal.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,279 Posts

It took me 6 months to find mine. All I could see were Black , white or gray converts. At that time there were more coups then converts available. I had maybe 10-15 dealers looking for me and they would give me a monthly update on either trades or lease cars. A dealer from NH called me with the IRR the day the previous owner drove it in to trade it for an F-Type. Done deal.
Six months! No way could I wait that long. I'm an impulse buyer, and I needed to fill that impulse!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?