XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warning light

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Warning light

I just brought home a 2007 XKR problem child.

The first thing that's driving me nuts is this warning light blinking. The one to the left of the engine light in pic.

I'm also getting a warning light intermittently fo the right rear tire, even though it has 34 psi.

I have searched but didn't have any luck.

Don't have a owners or service manual.

The rear fog light is out, so that. May be what it is.

I have searched and have not found one of those either.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:59 AM

Ok, found out this is for the "adaptive front lighting"

Whatever that is. Any ideas?

Old 08-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Sorry, no, but the manuals are all available - free! - via the forum / stickies.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

#1- get a OBDII code reader (most auto parts store still let you borrow one) and read any codes then report back.
#2- owners manual is available for free on this site
#3- fully charge your battery, much of these issues, and many more could be a result of a defficient battery
#4- using the search function would have answered there and most of your upcoming questions. Most of what you've asked here are common questions answered many times over

Good luck hope it gets it sorted out

Old 08-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by jwooky
Ok, found out this is for the "adaptive front lighting"

Whatever that is. Any ideas?
Welcome aboard and enjoy. The adaptive headlights move up and down and left to right. The up and down are meant to keep the light level during driving and the left to right works with turning the car. As mentioned by others check your battery to make sure it is at full charge. Also check to see if there are any OBDII codes. I suspect the reason for the warning if not a battery issue is that the headlights motors are not functioning properly. As mentioned check the battery and codes and go from there.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:55 AM

Thanks all, will do.

I confirmed the lights do not cycle at key on as they should. Checked fuse and ok. Battery is ok.

Fearing the motor(s) bad or some kind of wiring issue.

What are the best options for scan tools for this car?

Last edited by jwooky; 08-14-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Banned

What makes you believe the battery is ok?

Scan tool, most any OBDII reader will do the same job of reading simple codes and/or give real-time eingine readings. For the deeper codes you'll need a computer with the Jag software the CD runs @$150-200 to get the DTC codes which shows much more errors and history, that's usually found at better indi mechanics or the dealership

Last edited by Leeper; 08-14-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Be aware that the lights do not cycle if you dont have the lights set to auto
My Dont anyway. I don't think it tells you that in the manual

Old 08-15-2016, 01:57 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Also, you mentioned the rear fog light is out. You may or may not know, but there is only 1 rear foglight and then 1 back up light on the other side. Just part of the quirky design of this particular Jaguar.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:18 PM

are these warning lights bulbs or LED's?

Anyone take a cluster apart and have pics?

Old 08-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Replace your battery unless you are CERTAIN that it is less than 3 years old and that it is FULLY charged and holding that full charge. Do nothing else to the car until you verify the battery condition and do not be fooled by the fact that "the engine starts every time". Low battery voltage in the XK ( and many modern cars) causes random system symptoms including but not limited to warning lights, door, window, seat problems, frozen or slow touch screen action, convertible roof and window issues...and in virtually every case the cause is low battery voltage.
Once you have a new battery, purchase a CTEK battery maintainer and use it whenever the car is not in use. You will eliminate the possibility of the failures named above and like the rest of us who use the maintainer, you will have a completely problem -free XK ( because you have the 4.2 litre version). These are amazingly reliable cars - amazing because something this beautiful is not usually also reliable. The XK is.
Is anyone else here getting tired of repeating the battery mantra?

The following users liked this post:
jagjeep (08-28-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Banned

Yes SOV, see post #7.

Once again also plug in a OBDII reader to see what codes are there AFTER you've addressed the battery issue and report them here... or feel free to spend countless dollars, time and frustrations chasing your tail, pulling bulbs, maybe buy a new alternator, etc it's all good. Mechanics need to eat too

If he'd spend a moment's time doing a "search" addressing his issues most all his questions would be answered completely and accurately.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

The learning curve on these cars is steep and quick.

It sounds like the OP was more interested in the beauty of the Jaguar and the brand, buying without completing much research, knowing what he might be getting into.

I agree, use the search tool as so many of your questions will be answered, and as SOV211 has stated. buy a CTEK battery maintainer and USE IT.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I just brought home a 2007 XKR problem child.
My heartfelt advise is to first and foremost stop thinking of this as a problem child. If you bought home a child or a dog and said this ******* spazmo is going be nothing but trouble, you would eternally struggle.

Very reliable cars, as reliable as they get, few niggles if any. Provided you didnt buy a water damaged or rebuilt car, then you would have bought home a crack baby.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:40 PM
Banned

Sorry it was post #4 and post #7...

Concur Rich... hopefully he starts by taking prudent, logical steps here-forward versus more emotional, knee-jerk steps. Get all the facts BEFORE taking unnecessary and possibly more costly actions... time will tell. The allure is great with these cars, emotions run high, and when faced with issues a laymen can easily get over their head. When that happens mechanics lick their chops and rightfully so

It is also MUCH more helpful when posting issues to know all we can about the car/purchase/etc... just saying that he is having problems with random lights doesn't give us much to go on. Get the battery situated, get codes, let us know the history, miles, was it a salvage? Flood damage? Did rodents eat wiring? Did previous owner let you know about this or more? How did you come across this car? All these will help us help him

Old 08-24-2016, 12:59 PM

Hey don't judge, you guys don't know me yet(?)

I do love the car, I have researched them for over a year before I found this one. I knew of the issues with the car before I bought it (rear window leak, wrinkled dash etc)

The seller BS'd me about the light on dash, said it had a taillight out, which it did, but wasnt issue.

I have also, searched ad been enlightened by many topics on the forum. I am members on many others too I know how they work.

I realize I sounded like a newb, but I didn't even know what that light was called. I ended up finding it through google images.

The battery is fine, like I said. 12.8v engine off 13.5-14V on.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Jwooky,

I came across something recently that may be of interest to you.

Paragon Designs, a company in the UK that specializes in XK modification, has a led headlight replacement that kills 3 birds for you. Its better light that you have, cheaper than to fix the adaptive lights motor, and it has Daytime running light built in.

You may want to ask them how to best fix this, because if they are changing the lights, they know all about warning lights that trigger, and or a cheap fix for the headlight motor.

On my 2010, which maybe different than yours? it cost an eye watering amount to replace adaptive headlights. You can buy a running Jaguar XJR for what it cost. No joke.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

The seller BS'd me about the light on dash, said it had a taillight out, which it did, but wasnt issue.
A man's mind is most creative when selling his used car to another.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:31 AM

I'm actually thinking I can like without the adaptive lights, since I've never had them before.

But I can't live with the flashing light in the cluster. That's why I was asking if anyone knew if it's a bulb or LED that can be removed or it's a feature built into the display. If it were I'd remove it and be done with it.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I'm actually thinking I can like without the adaptive lights, since I've never had them before.

But I can't live with the flashing light in the cluster. That's why I was asking if anyone knew if it's a bulb or LED that can be removed or it's a feature built into the display. If it were I'd remove it and be done with it.
Black electrical tape fixes it.

Quick Reply: Warning light