XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Weird Battery Electrical Issue

Old 07-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Weird Battery Electrical Issue

I dropped my 2010 XKR for a detail, stage 1 paint correction and Cquartz treatment. At the end of the day the detailer text me that the car wouldn't start. He was also doing the interior so I thought he may have had the door open a long time and it ran down the battery.
When I got their, the gauges lit up and the car didn't crank. Absolutely dead.
We hooked up jumpers per the owner's manual directions. Nothing. I have a temperature/voltmeter hooked up through the OBDII port. It was dark, but the gauges were lit.
Pushed start several times. Nothing. Then all of a sudden not only did it fire but it was amazingly robust. Almost explosive in noise and instant start. The OBDII came on with 14.2.
Drove it home, maybe 15 minutes. Waited 3 hours and started it. No problem.

Any ideas. I don't think the battery was discharged.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexKeyWest
I dropped my 2010 XKR for a detail, stage 1 paint correction and Cquartz treatment. At the end of the day the detailer text me that the car wouldn't start. He was also doing the interior so I thought he may have had the door open a long time and it ran down the battery.
When I got their, the gauges lit up and the car didn't crank. Absolutely dead.
We hooked up jumpers per the owner's manual directions. Nothing. I have a temperature/voltmeter hooked up through the OBDII port. It was dark, but the gauges were lit.
Pushed start several times. Nothing. Then all of a sudden not only did it fire but it was amazingly robust. Almost explosive in noise and instant start. The OBDII came on with 14.2.
Drove it home, maybe 15 minutes. Waited 3 hours and started it. No problem.

Any ideas. I don't think the battery was discharged.
Well your lucky at least yours is still running I had the same problem running one min. wont crank the next ,Put in a new batt. still wont crank . going into Jag . dealer next week .

Old 07-29-2017, 02:50 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

I had issue at detailers last week, car wouldn't start. Had to jump it. Then roof would not drop. Charged overnight but would not get above 60 per cent.
New battery needed after checking solved everything.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

When I do minor detail work and especially doing the interior I always leave the charger plugged in.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I think the system got confused from the doors being open and possibly the key fob too close for too long. Logically if you didn't hear the starter solenoid pulling in then the puter didn't try to crank the engine over when the start button was hit.

Next time it happens I suggest removing the battery terminals, waiting a minute and putting them back on. Give the car a hard reboot.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

My guess is that whoever was on the inside might have been stepping on the brake pedal for a period of time. If that happens, it won't start without absolutely standing on the brake pedal. I've had it happen on my car several times.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments. It certainly wasn't the battery because after a 15 minute run and sitting over night it cranked normally. The only thing I've noticed is that the shift paddles are now closer to the steering wheel. My fingers used to fit between the shifters and the wheel. Now they don't but seem to work properly