XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Well its been fun and informative.....

Old 01-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Huh?
You have to pay taxes (other than sales tax when you bought the car) yearly, just because you own it? ...
Yes. A sales tax is on the value of a transaction; a property tax is on the value of an asset. They are two separate and distinct types of taxes. Real estate taxes are due yearly, based on the value of the property.

Some states subject personal property to an annual "ad valorem" (on the value) tax. That tax can apply to tangible (motor vehicles, boats, etc.) and/or intangible (stocks, bonds, etc.) personal property. Ad valorem tax on a motor vehicle usually is due with license tag renewal.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Any pics of your new Vette?

Old 01-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Yes. A sales tax is on the value of a transaction; a property tax is on the value of an asset. They are two separate and distinct types of taxes. Real estate taxes are due yearly, based on the value of the property.

Some states subject personal property to an annual "ad valorem" (on the value) tax. That tax can apply to tangible (motor vehicles, boats, etc.) and/or intangible (stocks, bonds, etc.) personal property. Ad valorem tax on a motor vehicle usually is due with license tag renewal.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!
Yuck, I can understand the definition, just definitely don't want it. Just means that if I ever decide to move, I'll need to disqualify some states from consideration. Thanks for the warning!

Stuart S (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

I did not know this either. So Georgia and the Carolinas have this tax?

Old 01-16-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

So does Kentucky

Old 01-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Every state I've lived in (fifteen+) have had a "fee" based on perceived value. These are the Utah fees, as that's where I live for now, and they are about par for all the other places I've lived. They are called different things in different locales, Utah says "Age-Based Uniform Fee" ->

Last edited by Cee Jay; 01-16-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Pic Format
Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yikes! No such fee here (Chicago suburb, but then maybe Chicago does, I think they charge just to suck air).

Old 01-16-2018, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

In Georgia "ad volarem" can be waved in favor of the more traditional sales tax. We pay $20 for tags. I still have AV on my 14 year old F150 though.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 110reef
I did not know this either. So Georgia and the Carolinas have this tax?
I don't know about the Carolinas, but in 2013 Georgia saw the light and changed how they tax motor vehicles. A new, one-time Title Ad Valorem Tax on the purchase of a new or used vehicle exempted those vehicles from the annual "birthday tax" for as long as that vehicle is owned by that owner. If that vehicle is subsequently sold to a new owner, TAVT applies again. Older vehicles on which no TAVT was paid remain subject to the "birthday tax".

Because I bought my XKR before 2013, I still pay "birthday tax" on it each year when I renew my tag. The tax decreases every year because the value decreases. Last year, that tax was $312.69. I pay no "birthday tax" on my XJ because I bought it after 2013 and paid the TAVT at the time of purchase.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp
In Georgia "ad volarem" can be waved in favor of the more traditional sales tax. ...
Not exactly. The owner of a vehicle subject to the "birthday tax" can "opt in" to pay the TAVT and get a new title. It's like buying that vehicle from yourself. Technically, that's not the same thing as a waiver. Whether this makes financial sense depends on the amount of TAVT and how long you plan to keep that vehicle compared to the projected "birthday tax".

Old 01-16-2018, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,141 Likes on 667 Posts

Yikes! No such fee here (Chicago suburb, but then maybe Chicago does, I think they charge just to suck air).
What your not quite seeing, is the Property tax is very low. Compared to what it cost for just license plate in Illinois. It's like $200 a year just to renew plates and that's per car. In Arkansas the plates cost about, 20 to 30 dollars each vehicle, and then the property tax for my house 2 motorcycles and 4 cars is about 200 all together so for all my vehicles and Property taxes average around $300.00. I tried to give my son in Illinois a car and he told me to keep it. As the Title transfer, and fees, to switch it from Arkansas to Illinois were so much, he couldn't afford it. So when we went to Illinois for a visit I helped him buy a car up there.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

In California we pay no tax on the car other than sales tax (about 9-10% depending upon the county) at the time of the transaction. But, we get clobbered on the license fee annually I will be paying $666 on my 13 XKR next month. In 2019 it should decrease unless they tack on another addition like they recently did to repair and update roads. Hopefully for once they will keep their word and use the money for what they have promised.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
In California we pay no tax on the car other than sales tax (about 9-10% depending upon the county) at the time of the transaction. But, we get clobbered on the license fee annually I will be paying $666 on my 13 XKR next month.
$666 is one hell of a license tag fee! I know everything's more expensive in California, but if that fee is based on the value of the car it's really a property tax and not a fee. In Georgia, the annual tag fee is separately stated on the bill at a flat $20 for everyone, regardless of the value of the car, together with a separate mail fee and, if applicable, the "birthday tax" and an additional fee for a custom vanity tag.

If you itemize deductions on your Federal income tax return and claim that $666 California license fee as an itemized deduction for state taxes, then you are saying that it is a tax because fees are not deductible.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention....... here in Utah all my 'aged based fees' are waived, along with my primary home property taxes, because I'm a Disabled Veteran.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention....... here in Utah all my 'aged based fees' are waived, along with my primary home property taxes, because I'm a Disabled Veteran.

Utah is a progressive state because veterans don't have to be 100% disabled to qualify for state tax exemptions.
"A Utah permanent place-of-residence property tax exemption equivalent to the military service-connected disability rating percentage is provided for disabled veterans or for their unremarried widows or minor orphans. Veteran’s disability rating must be at least 10%. The maximum property tax exemption, rated at 100% military service-connected disability, is $219,164 . "
Georgia, on the other hand, requires veterans to be 100% disabled to qualify for tax exemptions. I'm 60% disabled due to Agent Orange exposure and get no tax exemptions from Georgia. Instead, I got a free lapel pin and a certificate thanking me for my service and can get one free license tag if I jump through enough hoops just to save $20. Knowing that I pay more in taxes makes me feel so much more patriotic!

Cee Jay (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
What your not quite seeing, is the Property tax is very low. Compared to what it cost for just license plate in Illinois. It's like $200 a year just to renew plates and that's per car.
Well, that's not quite right, it's $101 for regular plates, or $114 for my vanity plates. But that's flat rate, everybody pays the same, regardless of the car's worth or age.
In Arkansas the plates cost about, 20 to 30 dollars each vehicle, and then the property tax for my house 2 motorcycles and 4 cars is about 200 all together so for all my vehicles and Property taxes average around $300.00.
Ok, if that statement really means it includes your house property tax, sign me up for Arkansas!
I tried to give my son in Illinois a car and he told me to keep it. As the Title transfer, and fees, to switch it from Arkansas to Illinois were so much, he couldn't afford it. So when we went to Illinois for a visit I helped him buy a car up there.
Title transfer = $95
License fee = $101
Sales tax = X% (depending on county) of however much your son paid you for the car, it it was $0, so is the sales tax (as long as you paid sales tax in Arkansas when you originally purchased the car).
So moving a car to IL could be as low as $196, with the recurring $101 plate fee.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Any pics of your new Vette?
I have it parked where when I get in the 'Vette, I see the XK up the hill, and when I get in the XK, I see the 'Vette down the hill.

Although on account of snow, the 'Vette is hiding out inside.

However, I did take it out to get pics before I finished this post.

I did a recon with another car, and the dead end road that my dead end drive way is off of wasn't salted, so a picture was in order.

Attached Thumbnails Well its been fun and informative.....-snow5.jpg  
Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Taxes, be it property tax, income tax, etc, you'll be paying taxes.

Look at your state/city/country spending and know it gets paid for some how.

The structure and name may vary from place to place, but paying to support the cost of government is still the same be it a fee, tax, etc.

One good thing to check is to compare per capita budget of where ever you might be choosing between moving. This will be indictive of the per capita tax burden that must be sustained to pay for it, be it sales tax, property tax, income tax, etc...

Last edited by Tervuren; 01-18-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Cee Jay (01-19-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Huh?
You have to pay taxes (other than sales tax when you bought the car) yearly, just because you own it?
Insurance yes, but taxes?
So, it looks like your state #48 in expenditure per capita. South Carolina spends about $400 more per person than Illinois.

kj07xk (01-18-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Huh?
You have to pay taxes (other than sales tax when you bought the car) yearly, just because you own it?
Insurance yes, but taxes?
Illinois doesn't charge you annually for license plates? That's a tax. In Arizona that tax is based on the original purchase price of the vehicle, and derated annually to a minimum fee at some distant date in the future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well its been fun and informative.....