XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

went to start the car after a week of sitting...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

so, I have had a chance to try to charge the dead battery. I hoped I could get the car rolling again and in doing so, get the key removed from the slot in the center console.

so...after hours on the batt charger (not a tender but a real charger), the battery remains dead and the only signs of life were a very strange issue event where the marker lights actually came on despite the light switch being in the off position. the key remains in the slot and will not allow me to remove it...it is stuck for now.

I can get a new battery today or tomorrow. will this be the fix or is there something else at work? I will also add the ctek as advised by the forum.

Any thoughts welcomed.

best,

Peter

Old 09-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

You should be able to push down on the fob, let go and it should release.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

a few factors to consider:
#1 - age of the battery you had
#2 - "how low did it go"? When a battery is discharged to a certain level it causes permanent damage to it that recharging won't bring back. It is quite possible that yours was brought down to a level such that the high demands of a X150 doesn't like, replacing it ought to eliminate ALL the worries. Once the new battery is installed your key FOB should be able to be removed by pushing down a little on it. You'll probably have to reset your radio stations, lose your current odometer readings, a window reset, and if yours is a convertible it may also require a top reset. Once you've got a good battery maintainer you'll have many happy miles of no worries... let us know how it goes.

The following users liked this post:
ferraripete (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
You should be able to push down on the fob, let go and it should release.
no. tried and tried. she will not let loose

Old 09-15-2016, 03:07 PM

btw,

battery has been dead for about a week.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by ferraripete
no. tried and tried. she will not let loose
If your battery is dead it will not let loose I suspect. From the repair manual -
"The Smart Key can be removed by pushing downwards on the key fob loop and releasing. The start control unit motor will then drive the Smart Key out from the slot."

So if the battery is dead, the start control unit cannot function to release.

Put a charger on the battery long enough to release the key. Replace the battery. Richard outlined several options for brand.

I bought my replacement at AutoZone. Duralast Gold. They weigh about 50 lbs. so protect your bumper cover before you install it.

There is a hold down bracket/nut at the bottom (might be hidden by a wire bundle) and then the two terminals. I think all three are 10 mm. Don't forget to pull out the vent tube from the battery and install it in the new one, the hard tube too as the new battery will only have the hole. It should slide right out.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:50 PM

the battery is dated 5/13. I tried to charge it but it is not taking any charge at all. it is a jaguar labeled battery and about $212 at the dealer. question: what is the warranty for a jaguar factory battery? will the dealer honor the a warranty for a factory part?

Old 09-16-2016, 07:26 PM

new batter and ctek purchased. installing shortly.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:42 PM

everything working well....except the top.

it opened up a bit and then stopped. partially opened and now not moving up or down

Old 09-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Start the engine and hold the top close button for at least 30 seconds. The top should close again.

Now reset the windows by opening them and holding the buttons for 5 seconds beyond when they reach bottom. Then raise the windows and hols the buttons again for 5 seconds beyond when they reach top. Repeat.

Now try to put the top down again.

ferraripete (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Start the engine and hold the top close button for at least 30 seconds. The top should close again.

Now reset the windows by opening them and holding the buttons for 5 seconds beyond when they reach bottom. Then raise the windows and hols the buttons again for 5 seconds beyond when they reach top. Repeat.

Now try to put the top down again.
please look at the post I made with a detailed description of the operational oddities of the windows and top operation. thank you for looking at my post!!

Old 09-16-2016, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Please follow the instructions in my last post.

Your car windows and top is behaving exactly as if the windows are not reset after replacing the battery.

This abnormal behavior of the windows and top is expected until you reset the windows properly. Sometimes the windows reset takes a few tries to engage properly.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:33 PM

let me please copy and paste from my other post...I would like your thoughts on that.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:34 PM

so my battery was dead. replaced with a new one. did the window reset. the following is happening/not happening:

1) the passenger window works well...one touch down and one touch up

2) driver side window...one touch down but need to hold the window switch the entire time to make the window lift...no one touch up as in the passenger side

3) the radio pre-sets all work fine

4) the car will not start unless the smart key is inserted...it would normally start if the key was simply in the car

5) the top down process is odd:
-on the way opening, the front and rear windows will go down immediately
-the top then starts to open but then stops after opening about a three inches and then after about 10 seconds holding the switch constantly eventually opens fully and is stowed properly

6) The top up process is even more odd:
-When trying to close the top, the tonneau opens properly but the top takes about 10 seconds to actually start closing after 10 seconds of constantly holding the button
-it is very slow to close but does eventually close
-the small rear windows do eventually go up (close) after about 10 seconds while constantly holding the top button
-the passenger window then closes automatically but the drivers window does not go up automatically as it normally does when closing the top
-the drivers window can only be closed when holding the window switch

I find this very odd...and frustrating.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Do the window reset again a couple of times. The driver window is behaving exactly as if it is not reset. The conv. top pauses are actually normal until the window is reset is recognized. This is even described in the service manual.

Not sure about the key fob issue, but I would start with a fresh lithium battery.

ferraripete (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 10:54 PM

I have tried to reset the driver window a dozen times already. I don't know what to do w/ the driver window?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Are you holding the button for several in both the up AND the down positions after the window stops? A lot of people only do it one way...you need to do both.

If it still does not work, disconnect the battery negative cable, wait a minute then reconnect it. Then run through the window reset 2-3 times before even trying to operate the top.

ferraripete (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 PM

key fob issue has gone away. now working fine.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:00 PM

I will try again w/ the drivers window as you suggest. If it does not work, I will disconnect again. it may take me a while to report back.

thank you for trying to walk me through this on a Friday night.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member