XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

went to start the car after a week of sitting...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:09 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default went to start the car after a week of sitting...

....lots of flashing warning lights and surging a/c fan noise but the car would not start. so, the car will not start. the key was inserted into the key thingy in the center console and will not release it. it does seem to be the case that tha batt seems to have enough power to trigger all the warning lights and warning prompts,,,but not enough juice to fire the car

is this a symptom of the batt being too drained? I have not installed a batt tender yet but it seems like I may do it this weekend.

the car is a 2007 xk with a whopping 14k miles on it. it drives like a dream but has been keeping me busy with little things here and there.

any advice welcome and if this is just symptomatic of the battery, I apologize for not having better used the search function. thank you all for any expert guidance.

best,

peter

Old 09-12-2016, 03:01 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Hey Pete,

Yup the classic symptoms of a low voltage battery. There are MANY upon MANY posts/pages identical to yours. Hopefully your battery has not been depleted so low that it cannot be brought back up with a maintainer. Miles are irrelevant to the battery, if it's older swap it out

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
ferraripete (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Check the voltage and go from there. If lower then 12V then you need more then a tender but instead a small battery charger . Something around a 10-20Amp charger to get the voltage up to full charge. Once you have the battery at full charge then a tender can be used. Also get the battery checked to make sure you don't have a bad cell.

ferraripete (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Like they said...charge it first with a healthy dose of amperage. Have the battery tested, it could be a weak battery.

Either it is that or if you don't drive often and/or have short trips the battery has slowly depleted for lack of charge time.

ferraripete (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:45 AM

I will do as advised by this distinguished group that has been so helpful to me in the last year. thank you all.

I will do a search to see to it that I charge the battery correctly and get the electronic goodies back in sync. i will then source the Cytec as the group advises.

Question regarding replacing the battery...is this an easy job with good access or is this a bit more than just a couple of nuts and bolts to loosen and then tighten?

thank you all!

best,

Peter

Old 09-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Peter,
Step very hard on the brake pedal, hard enough so that you feel you're going to put it through the floor. Make sure your door is closed and then try starting it. This has happened on occasion with my 2010, and I didn't believe it until I tried it. It has worked several times. I got this advice from other valuable forum members.

ferraripete (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Battery is in the back and easily swapped out though do be careful as when I tightened the terminal the factory bolt snapped requiring a trip to Home Depot for a new one

ferraripete (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Order a CTEK MUS4.3 Battery maintainer from Amazon. This is an 8 step maintainer that will desulfate the battery if needed, put a charge into the battery and then move to a pulse charge. It may take up to 36 hours to bring the battery back to life.

However if the battery itself is more than 5-years old, suggest you simply replace it. Walmart stores carries a brand called Everstart made by Johnson Controls, the same company that makes Diehard, Interstate, Duralast (Autozone). you need a model 49. Priced under $125.00

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...ttery/16782659

I have the same battery in my 2009 Jaguar XKR. It is a perfect fit and has the left side vent hole for the vent tube.

Here's the info on the CTEK MUS4.3 8-Step Battery Maintainer.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-A...ds=ctel+mus4.3

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-304-1...0QJ1NFC2DSTTSV

Owning these 2 items will keep the battery in top shape.

Benefits - CTEK Battery Chargers

Hope this info helps resolve your problems, which I think they will.

ferraripete (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
Peter,
Step very hard on the brake pedal, hard enough so that you feel you're going to put it through the floor. Make sure your door is closed and then try starting it. This has happened on occasion with my 2010, and I didn't believe it until I tried it. It has worked several times. I got this advice from other valuable forum members.

by the way, I just read the post about your friend having hidden his boxer from his ex. I must confess I did a similar thing with my old 77 Bora. what we crazy car guys have been known to do for our car habit

I also wanted to mention that my boxer is also a bbi (injection) and will start easily after sitting for extended periods...unlike the weber carb version.

last, the pantera is on my list of the greatest 70's exotica and remain the most underappreciated Italian exotic. I love them dearly and consider them the coolest of them all!!! your car looks like a perfectly updated version...I suspect the radial cooling has been done and the big 17" campy replica wheels look the business!!!!

one day I will buy one.

tberg (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Peter:
Please, don't bother with fiddling around with the existing battery. You need a new battery and you need it to be fully charged *always*. There is only one way to achieve that given the fact that your beautiful XK sits unused for long periods of time: do as suggested: get a CTEK maintainer and use it *always*.
You will then have absolutely NO issues with the car - those "little things here and there".

ferraripete (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 01:28 PM

thank you Gregory!

Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Didn't you just replace the battery in September of 2015? In your other battery thread from that time you had mentioned you were having it installed.

If so you just need a new charge and keep it maintained, the battery should be fine, if it isn't then you would be able to take it in for warranty replacement (minus prorated use of a year).

Old 09-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by ferraripete
the key was inserted into the key thingy in the center console and will not release it.
Follow tberg's advice, as you may not need a battery, just need to give more pressure on the brake (once you've pumped the brake without starting, it takes a LOT more pressure to trigger the ignition).

Regarding the center console key release, its a 'press to release' mechanism, you can't just pull it out.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Peter,
When I bought the Pantera years ago, the first thing I did was upgrade the brakes to Wilwoods. But, of course, once you do that, you can't fit the 15" Campys back on the car so you have to go to 17." I put the Fluidyne radiator in since I could barely drive the car two blocks without it wanting to overheat, and certainly never in traffic. Now, it has been in the shop getting a "new" built 351C, additional sucker fans, and the Holley fuel injection system that looks like the carburator it's replacing. I'm upgrading a few things, and even though the paint was in very good condition, we've already repainted her. The new engine will be about 500hp on a less than a 3000lb. car so there should be a lot of fun in my future. I see you spend time in San Diego, when I get the car back (hopefully) in a couple of months, why don't you come up and take it for a day. Sure it's "ancient" compared to modern day supercars, but it's certainly more beautiful than any of the offerings from Lambo, Audi, etc. I used to take it to the track a couple of times a year with SoCal Audi Club (a friend is president) and it always garnered more attention than the R-8s. Sorry to have hijacked the post.

Attached Thumbnails went to start the car after a week of sitting...-vp__3982-1280x853-.jpg   went to start the car after a week of sitting...-vp__4994-1280x853-.jpg   went to start the car after a week of sitting...-dscf0707-1280x960-.jpg   went to start the car after a week of sitting...-dscf0716-1024x768-.jpg  
ralphwg (09-15-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Follow tberg's advice, as you may not need a battery, just need to give more pressure on the brake (once you've pumped the brake without starting, it takes a LOT more pressure to trigger the ignition).

Regarding the center console key release, its a 'press to release' mechanism, you can't just pull it out.
tried this. it did not work. I will get a battery and tender on Thursday.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
Peter,
When I bought the Pantera years ago, the first thing I did was upgrade the brakes to Wilwoods. But, of course, once you do that, you can't fit the 15" Campys back on the car so you have to go to 17." I put the Fluidyne radiator in since I could barely drive the car two blocks without it wanting to overheat, and certainly never in traffic. Now, it has been in the shop getting a "new" built 351C, additional sucker fans, and the Holley fuel injection system that looks like the carburator it's replacing. I'm upgrading a few things, and even though the paint was in very good condition, we've already repainted her. The new engine will be about 500hp on a less than a 3000lb. car so there should be a lot of fun in my future. I see you spend time in San Diego, when I get the car back (hopefully) in a couple of months, why don't you come up and take it for a day. Sure it's "ancient" compared to modern day supercars, but it's certainly more beautiful than any of the offerings from Lambo, Audi, etc. I used to take it to the track a couple of times a year with SoCal Audi Club (a friend is president) and it always garnered more attention than the R-8s. Sorry to have hijacked the post.
and don't think for one second...the boxer paint was lost one me

seriously, a great looking pantera. I am a purist but I must say that your car does not take any indecent liberties while doing some very tasteful mods. a very pretty small bumper car...a delicate BEAST!

I am in LA often. It would be great to meet for coffee and talk cars. By the way, the Coronado vintage cars races are this weekend. a large pantera presence but nothing as well executed as yours save for one or two bone stock originals...which to some may be as nice but by all means cars I would walk past on the way to see your panther!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Pete, if you are storing the keys near the car, it may keep it in a "I'm ready" mode that is causing faster battery drain.

I had 10 day trip away, and my XK started just fine. No maintainer. Having the car locked/shutdown, and the charge its parked at, an a week should be fine.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:15 PM

Andrew, you make a good point. I bet there is some possibility as the keys were no more than 10 feet away from the car in the garage.

I hope all is well with you my friend!

Old 09-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Alls well, the XK, aside from being a slushbox, has been AMAZING. Its really freed up a lot of time from the constant tinkering the older Porsches need. The adjustable seats have also ended back trouble I've had for years, I didn't realize the little Italian Recaro's in the 944 were the cause, but now that I've got the range of adjustibilty the XK offers I've not felt better in years.

I've put steering wheel spacers on the 944 to improve the driving position this week. I'll need to do something about the seats in the far future. I'm also floored by the attention the XK gets, I thought it would largely blend in as its not as modern with LED's, etc. Nope, wrong.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tervuren
Alls well, the XK, aside from being a slushbox, has been AMAZING. Its really freed up a lot of time from the constant tinkering the older Porsches need. The adjustable seats have also ended back trouble I've had for years, I didn't realize the little Italian Recaro's in the 944 were the cause, but now that I've got the range of adjustibilty the XK offers I've not felt better in years.

I've put steering wheel spacers on the 944 to improve the driving position this week. I'll need to do something about the seats in the far future. I'm also floored by the attention the XK gets, I thought it would largely blend in as its not as modern with LED's, etc. Nope, wrong.
all great news Andrew. and yes, the xk is a stunner when compared to...anything. enjoy it my friend!!!