Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What about a toneau

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default What about a toneau

Looking back at my old Triumph TR3A days I always used to put the toneau cover on during the summer . It made it easy to just unzip it and jump into the driver seat and take off in top down mode. With todays creativity I am wondering if there could be a cover made giving the same effect allowing you to leave the top down but cover the interior . Then just uncover the driver side and take off. I wonder if anyone made one. Just think out loud without getting to serious.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Have you installed Steve's remote top device. I highly recommend it. In addition to ;putting the top up and down remotely there is an accessory that also controls the rear windows; which is a real plus. go to thejagwrangler.com and you will be able to see a demo. This is a terrific add-on accessory.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Check eBay, I've seen them there in different colors.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Well, I'm a "tonneau" person too, as I owned a TR4 that had a tonneau cover. When I restored my mustang, among it's accessories was a tonneau cover. So this, I was sure to include in my restoration.
As you may know Mina Galleries is developing a tonneau style hard covering that encompasses the rear seat area of our CVTs. with a rear seat delete option, if enough interests exist. A quality custom vinyl tonneau cover for the front area of our CVTs would be a neat feature, I'm thinking.

Attached Thumbnails What about a toneau-tonneau.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Have you installed Steve's remote top device. I highly recommend it. In addition to ;putting the top up and down remotely there is an accessory that also controls the rear windows; which is a real plus. go to thejagwrangler.com and you will be able to see a demo. This is a terrific add-on accessory.
It's on my list. Thanks

Old 07-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Check eBay, I've seen them there in different colors.
We may be thinking about a different versions. I see a hard cover for XK/XKR but only soft covers for XKE. What I was thinking of was a soft cover that when closed covered the both front and rear seats and had a zipper through the center that would let you uncover the driver seat only but would also let you uncover the passenger seat too.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
We may be thinking about a different versions. I see a hard cover for XK/XKR but only soft covers for XKE. What I was thinking of was a soft cover that when closed covered the both front and rear seats and had a zipper through the center that would let you uncover the driver seat only but would also let you uncover the passenger seat too.
I can envision a soft version for the XK series. Would not take much to make one. In my mind, It's drilling those holes in the perimeter of the body for the snap buttons that might make me squeamish.
How would we attach it across the front?

Attached Thumbnails What about a toneau-nq_800.jpg  

Last edited by RedRider48; 07-15-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
I can envision a soft version for the XK series. Would not take much to make one. In my mind, It's drilling those holes in the perimeter of the body for the snap buttons that might make me squeamish.
How would we attach it across the front?
I'm with you there on the snaps and holes but if someone were to get a little creative and find a way without drilling holes that would be the challenge. We have old school thinking here and maybe something like Velcro with 2 sided tape could do the trick. Just need to think out of the box here on how to attach. Just like the car itself where years ago I wouldn't have thought you could glue body panels and riveting the structure. Just thinking out loud

Old 07-16-2015, 07:17 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

<p>no velcro, snaps or double sided tape should be needed. &nbsp;If you can mount a thin piece of plastic along the edge of the tonneau that could slide under the trim along the door edge to keep it in place - I think you would have a winner. &nbsp;Have been looking at something similar for my XK8.</p>

ralphwg (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Been there, done that back in the day on my 1960 Corvette, custom made by a local trim shop from black vinyl that was an exact match to the seat upholstery. Attached it to the rear decklid using the existing hardtop bolts and to the sides using the existing snaps for the factory decklid tabs. Fitted J-shaped vinyl covered aluminum hooks into the defroster vents to attach the front. Zipper down the center, would leave it on while driving with the passenger side covered.

Would I do it again on my XKR? Absolutely not. I wouldn't risk getting my leather interior wet from a pop-up thunderstorm or make it easy for a thief or vandal. I installed Steve's remote top module (love it! ) and always put the top up and use my reflective sunshade to protect the leather dash whenever I park outside (it's Hotlanta) and always lock it to conserve the battery. And I park in deep left field to protect the paint from soccer moms' SUVs and their passengers and get a little exercise.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
ralphwg (07-16-2015), richzak (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Ingenious thinking sklimii!

The ideas are beginning to flow..........

Old 07-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Been there, done that back in the day on my 1960 Corvette, custom made by a local trim shop from black vinyl that was an exact match to the seat upholstery. Attached it to the rear decklid using the existing hardtop bolts and to the sides using the existing snaps for the factory decklid tabs. Fitted J-shaped vinyl covered aluminum hooks into the defroster vents to attach the front. Zipper down the center, would leave it on while driving with the passenger side covered.

Would I do it again on my XKR? Absolutely not. I wouldn't risk getting my leather interior wet from a pop-up thunderstorm or make it easy for a thief or vandal. I installed Steve's remote top module (love it! ) and always put the top up and use my reflective sunshade to protect the leather dash whenever I park outside (it's Hotlanta) and always lock it to conserve the battery. And I park in deep left field to protect the paint from soccer moms' SUVs and their passengers and get a little exercise.

I see using it as I do in my mustang's situation, a temporary parking instance, for keeping leaves and obnoxious bits of nature from soiling my white "real leather" interior when out and about. I see it being used when resting in my garage with it's top down. I too use a sunshade, but only in my daily driver, and they are the "bomb" for keeping the interior cool too. Also have "Steve's" remote top kit, but have yet to install.
If tastefully done, could be a nice accessory addition to Mina's coming hard tonneau covering.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Would I do it again on my XKR? Absolutely not. I wouldn't risk getting my leather interior wet from a pop-up thunderstorm or make it easy for a thief or vandal. I installed Steve's remote top module (love it! ) and always put the top up and use my reflective sunshade to protect the leather dash whenever I park outside (it's Hotlanta) and always lock it to conserve the battery. And I park in deep left field to protect the paint from soccer moms' SUVs and their passengers and get a little exercise.[/QUOTE

As a side bar when you mentioned a pop up shower a few years back I was at a Vintage car race event at Lime Rock Ct. I was parked in the Italian section and it was a nice sunny morning. Parked next to me was a new Ferrari F430 Spider. He left the top down and went down to the pit section. About an hour later some dark clouds came in and it poured rain for about 30 minutes. I mean you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you. When it stopped and I got back to the parking area and I looked into the car it was soaked. The sun came out and baked the wet leather but he had to sponge out the carpet.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The ones I've seen on eBay are like item #370754554933 (sorry, can't pick up the direct link on my phone). No zipper, but cover the entire interior plus windshield. There is a representative picture in the item description. There are cheaper ones, that's just the first one I found.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Also have "Steve's" remote top kit, but have yet to install.
Let me know if you want me to install it for you since you are within driving distance of me. I have done a few for local folks.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Let me know if you want me to install it for you since you are within driving distance of me. I have done a few for local folks.

Thanks, will keep your invitation on the burner. But certainly will have a hand in it....

Old 07-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
The ones I've seen on eBay are like item #370754554933 (sorry, can't pick up the direct link on my phone). No zipper, but cover the entire interior plus windshield. There is a representative picture in the item description. There are cheaper ones, that's just the first one I found.
Nope we are not talking about the same thing. The one I am talking about lets you drive the car with all but the drivers seat covered. Something like this for an XKE but for an XK
Jaguar E Type 4 2 Roadster Mohair Tonneau Cover Black | eBay

Old 07-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Steve,

I disagree. When I completed doing the installation by myself and everything worked, I got such a huge feeling of pride and accomplishment (and relief) - it was priceless. I'm not a mechanic and my mechanical skills primarily involve helping my daughter assemble furniture from IKEA, so I figured that if I could read and follow directions, I would give it a try. You should teach Congress how to write. Your instructions were clear, concise and complete with great illustrations.

I highly recommend DIY installation, unless you're physically unable or don't have the time or hand tools to do so.

Stuart

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
kj07xk (07-16-2015), ralphwg (07-16-2015), WhiteXKR (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Although, not having owned the car long, I was bit nervous about 'breaking it'.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Steve,

I disagree. When I completed doing the installation by myself and everything worked, I got such a huge feeling of pride and accomplishment (and relief) - it was priceless. I'm not a mechanic and my mechanical skills primarily involve helping my daughter assemble furniture from IKEA, so I figured that if I could read and follow directions, I would give it a try. You should teach Congress how to write. Your instructions were clear, concise and complete with great illustrations.

I highly recommend DIY installation, unless you're physically unable or don't have the time or hand tools to do so.

Stuart
You are right! I made this kit so that the typical DIY guy or gal will be successful. You just need to have and be able to use basic tools, follow instructions carefully, be physically able and have the desire.

I think I hit the mark, because I literally have dozens of emails similar to your message. I think most people approach it with a little trepidation, and after a 2-5 hours or so of work the sense of accomplishment for this particular project is immense. That feeling of conquering the challenge, coupled with new powers your remote has is really something special. Even after the initial novelty wears off a bit, there is still a nice pleasing feeling for most people each time they use the top. This is a major reason I keep doing these projects...I love hearing from folks who enjoyed the experience and love the product.

I have received criticism from professional installers, who tell me they want the instructions succinctly all on one page. Maybe I should do a version for them, but it was you guys who I was targeting !

I was just offering RedRider an option some people want, but I get the distinct feeling he is just waiting for the right time to savor the experience for himself.

Sorry...Did not mean to hijack the original subject of this thread...carry on.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-16-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Stuart S (07-16-2015)

Quick Reply: What about a toneau