Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

windscreen keeps falling down

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windscreen keeps falling down

Dear Jaguar lover

When I accelerate a little beyond average my windscreen keeps collapsing. Also after driving a while it unhinges and I have to stop and reinsert it. Anyone with similar experiences? Thank you!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Is it the OEM Jaguar accessory or an aftermarket rear windscreen? Are there any adjustments for the spring tension? How old is it? Does it attach with spring-loaded fasteners on the sides and pins between the rear seats? Please attach photos.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:48 AM

Hi Stuart,

Sorry for the late reply. Had the cat stored so went over for photos (attached).
- I think it's the original
- I don't see adjustments for springs
- I would say 7 years
- It does have the spring loaded fastener. However when I push in one side I believe the other side spring pops back.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Hi Michael,

It appears that you have the OEM Jaguar windscreen, as the side clamp mechanism of my aftermarket Adamesh windscreen is not the same as yours.

My side clamp:

Nevertheless, although they're different designs, I think they both work the same way with spring tension holding a retractable pin in the hole on each side to support the front of the windscreen and stationary pins that fit in the rear seat back to support the rear of the windscreen.

From what you explained, I think one of your front retractable pins is not fully engaging into the hole. You may want to see if that's the case and, if so, if there is anything blocking that hole or causing the pin to bind and not extend fully into that hole.

For details of my installation, see my posts ##2 and 4 in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...flector-62273/

Hope this helps,

Stuart

P.S. In your last picture, it appears that the pin is in the retracted position, and not pushed into the hole, which would explain why your windscreen keeps falling down. I don't see how the pin on one side could be connected to the pin on the other side. Make sure that you have the pin in the front of the windscreen properly aligned with the hole in the side of the rear seat panel so that the pin fits all the way into that hole.

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-23-2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following users liked this post:
Michaell (07-26-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,891 Likes on 1,284 Posts

I'll try to remember to check, but I think my OEM side pins 'click lock' into position, they are not spring loaded. So maybe they are not fully extended to click into position.

Michaell (07-26-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I think Stuart is correct. You may want to take the deflector completely out of the car and experiment with the two spring loaded pins where you can see what is going on.

Michaell (07-26-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Went back to reread your post and Stuart's comments, and yes, your picture shows a side pin that's not fully engaged. It can be tricky to get them both to engage when putting in the screen.
Also, and maybe its just the angle of the picture, it looks like that center bar (between the two pins, in the middle of the screen), is slightly bent. That might contribute to your difficulty in installing the screen, as the pins aren't going straight into their holes.

Michaell (07-26-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
yes, your picture shows a side pin that's not fully engaged. It can be tricky to get them both to engage when putting in the screen.
Also, and maybe its just the angle of the picture, it looks like that center bar (between the two pins, in the middle of the screen), is slightly bent.
Ok, so mine isn't straight either, the fabric tension puts a curve in that center bar.
If you look at my side pins, they are fully engaged. These do not have any spring tension, but they do 'click lock' when fully deployed (the click lock for the pin is in the windscreen itself, not the socket.
The windscreen also click locks into the open position, which is slightly forward of vertical.

My center bar has a slight curve to it too, probably the fabric tension.

Driver's side pin, fully engaged and click locked.

Passenger side pin, fully engaged and click locked.

Michaell (07-26-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I've got the same OEM one. It clicks into place. They seem to vibrate loose occasionally so I've gotten into the habit of checking them before driving topless. Needs a fix though.

Michaell (07-26-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting, never had mine come loose.

Michaell (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 03:15 AM

Wow thanks everyone for all the feedback!! Will play around and report back if the problem keeps recurring

Old 07-27-2017, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I'll try to remember to check, but I think my OEM side pins 'click lock' into position, they are not spring loaded. So maybe they are not fully extended to click into position.
Yep. Mine "clicks in" as well. And that is definitely a Jag wind deflector.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Michaell
Wow thanks everyone for all the feedback!! Will play around and report back if the problem keeps recurring

Now that it appears you are on the road to repair, I can't resist:

Told my doctor one day that it hurt to lift weights over my head. He said, "quit lifting weights over your head!"

Good luck on your repair. If it get too bad, the Adamesh is a good quality product at a reasonable price.