XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Windshield glare from dashboard

Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Windshield glare from dashboard

I live in the Southwestern part of the US and we're in the dog days of summer with bright sun almost every day. I have noticed the entire top of the dashboard on my XK (caramel interior) reflects brightly on interior side of the windshield regardless of where the sun is. It has become quite distracting while driving and turns the windshield almost a milky color. I do not use armorall or any other glossy treatment on the dash. It's pretty much a matte finish. Is anyone experiencing this? Any ideas how to reduce the glare?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Yes, a drawback to the light Caramel colored dash. I do have the same color and the same issue. However, wearing a POLARIZED set of sunglasses fixes the reflections for me.

Albert

The following users liked this post:
tacojag (08-15-2015)
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I don't have an XK but have experienced this problem, even to the extent of driving with my head stuck out the window.

As per Albert on the Polarized glasses (even prescription lenses).

The other one is changing your seated height to change your viewing angle through the windscreen.

Not always easy or practical, but generally effective.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

<cough> I have the same problem. If the sun is out bright enough to cause an issue! /lol

Move to the NorthWest??

Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I suppose you could buy a dash mat! Or you could tint your windshield or something!

Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield glare (2008 XJ Vanden Plas, black on black)

I'm also seeing the reflection of my dashboard on the inside of the windshield when the sun is out. It occurs almost regardless of the angle of the sun and is very distracting.

Does anybody have any more solutions or ideas about how to minimize this?

Thank you

Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Sorry I can't help with this, we have this scenario perhaps one, maybe 2 days out the year

BruceTheQuail (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

It's one of the first things I noticed after purchasing my XKR. I call it my heads up display since I can see everything on the lower portion of the inner windshield. I suppose a dash mat would help, but who wants to do that?
Living in Los Angeles, we have to put up with this about 360 days per year.
Any suggestions?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
It's one of the first things I noticed after purchasing my XKR. I call it my heads up display since I can see everything on the lower portion of the inner windshield. I suppose a dash mat would help, but who wants to do that?
Living in Los Angeles, we have to put up with this about 360 days per year.
Any suggestions?
Guys, if you'd only read the posts above. A couple of us stated that POLARIZED (sun) glasses fix the relection issues.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Albert,
You're probably right, I just can't stand wearing sunglasses. And I've gotten used to my "heads-up" display.
Thanks,
Ted

Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I couldn't cop that. My eyes focus on anything on the windscreen and I find it really distracting. It reminds me that years ago my dad bought a 760GLE and they must have done a soft recall to replace the top of the dash for the same reason - took away the pale one and replaced it with black.

If I had that with the Jag, I'd have it dyed in a dark contrast to the caramel. Maybe the charcoal would work. Or wear glasses, which I do habitually anyway.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by thg4z
I'm also seeing the reflection of my dashboard on the inside of the windshield when the sun is out. It occurs almost regardless of the angle of the sun and is very distracting.

Does anybody have any more solutions or ideas about how to minimize this?

Thank you
We had a similar problem with our old Ferrari's and either got a dash cover or cut a piece of black felt and placed it on the binnacle. So far I haven't had the problem and I don't usually wear sun glasses. I would hate to cover the total dash so if I am bother by this I'll try the black cloth.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Would not mind a couple of Hot Dog Days here, we are also in the dog days , but its winter in July. No sun no reflections just rain and more rain and it is cold. It is a bummer!!!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I suppose you could buy a dash mat! Or you could tint your windshield or something!
This is the answer, the dash mat.

The light colored Carmel is reflecting onto the windshield.

A Black dash cover will absorb the light, not reflect it. Put a piece of white paper on the dash, and it reflects heavily onto the windshield. Try a piece of black fabric on the dash and it will absorb the light and will not reflect onto the windshield.

It's a simple fix.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:08 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I have a light blue dash and there seems to be no problems with reflection. I did have a UV protective film installed on the inside of the windshield to assist in protecting the dash from leather "pulling" (2007 XK).

Old 07-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I hadn't noticed the issue, until reading this thread (damn you all!), now that's all I'm going to be looking for on sunny days.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Default Reflection still occurs on a black dash

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I couldn't cop that. My eyes focus on anything on the windscreen and I find it really distracting. It reminds me that years ago my dad bought a 760GLE and they must have done a soft recall to replace the top of the dash for the same reason - took away the pale one and replaced it with black.

If I had that with the Jag, I'd have it dyed in a dark contrast to the caramel. Maybe the charcoal would work. Or wear glasses, which I do habitually anyway.
My XJ is black on black and the reflection still occurs consistently via the dashboard on the interior of the windshield as the dash is a shiny surface.

Will try the black cloth/felt idea and hopefully that will solve it.

Thanks for all of your replies

Old 07-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by thg4z
My XJ is black on black and the reflection still occurs consistently via the dashboard on the interior of the windshield as the dash is a shiny surface.

Will try the black cloth/felt idea and hopefully that will solve it.

Thanks for all of your replies
In my old Ferrari I cut a piece of what was called photographers black felt cloth. I heard it was used to absorb the light during a photo session and they didn't want glare. It wasn't expensive and I just laid it on the binnacle and traced the outline and cut it out. You can lay it on or using a few pieces of double sided tape just stick it on.

thg4z (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 01:00 PM

Thanks very much Jagtoes. I appreciate the advice and will try that solution.

Cheers

Old 08-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up A quality dash mat is the only way to go

I installed a quality dash (it even has Jaguar XKR embroidered on it) and have no problems with glare. It is a light gray that matches the grey and dove interior. I also have the added benefit of sun protection of the dash (not forgetting to remove it every so often) using a leather cream on the dash to keep it soft. It is also useful for attaching a large grey terry towel (Velcro on the corners of the towel) that covers the wood on the dash and center console, when the top is down and the car is parked. Being that I live in the central valley of California and the summer temperatures are often above 100 it is important to take care when parked for anytime. A good dash mat can add to the appearance along with the benefits.

tacojag (08-13-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield glare from dashboard