XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield glare from dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimincalif
I installed a quality dash (it even has Jaguar XKR embroidered on it) and have no problems with glare. It is a light gray that matches the grey and dove interior. I also have the added benefit of sun protection of the dash (not forgetting to remove it every so often) using a leather cream on the dash to keep it soft. It is also useful for attaching a large grey terry towel (Velcro on the corners of the towel) that covers the wood on the dash and center console, when the top is down and the car is parked. Being that I live in the central valley of California and the summer temperatures are often above 100 it is important to take care when parked for anytime. A good dash mat can add to the appearance along with the benefits.
Jimincalif and others thanks for the dash mat info. That's what I'll do. Jimincalif, where did you purchase the dash mat? Is there a certain brand that you would recommend for good quality?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I hadn't noticed the issue, until reading this thread (damn you all!), now that's all I'm going to be looking for on sunny days.
I did the same thing. I never noticed before. I have a black dash and always wear sunglasses, but looked for the reflection after reading this thread, and sure enough it was there. thanks guys Luckily, it doesn't distract me.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey
I have a light blue dash and there seems to be no problems with reflection. I did have a UV protective film installed on the inside of the windshield to assist in protecting the dash from leather "pulling" (2007 XK).
That UV film seems like a good idea. I've added to west facing window in our home and helps a bunch. I suppose a tint shop could do that?

Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The following users liked this post:
LoudHogRider (08-27-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Default Albert is spot-on: polarized sunglasses are the solution!

Originally Posted by axr6
Yes, a drawback to the light Caramel colored dash. I do have the same color and the same issue. However, wearing a POLARIZED set of sunglasses fixes the reflections for me.

Albert
First of all, those people who said they didn't notice the windshield glare before reading these posts are either blind as a bat or perhaps have a dashboard color that is not as refelctive. Not only could I see the reflection/glare on my windshield from the first moment I bought my car, but it occurs absolutely every time the sun is out and from any angle. The notion that it is not blindingly (no pun intended) obvious is absolutely preposterous.

That said, Albert and others have mentioned the perfect solution. I thought about buying a dash mat based on several replies in this thread. However, before doing so I thought I'd try out some polarized sunglasses. I borrowed some from a friend today and they were brilliant! Eliminates about 90-95% of the glare. As the English say, they worked a treat. The glaree no longer bothers me at all and I was instantly able to see out of the windshield without any distraction. I can't tell you how happy I am about this fix. It has changed the driving experience for me completely and I hope it works the same for those of you with similar issues.

I'd strongly urge any of you contemplating other solutions to try this method first. In the US these glasses are available at your local CVS or similar pharmacy for between $20-$30. My 2008 XJ is black on black and there is no worse combination for glare. These glasses solved it immediately. It was the only thing I didn't like in my XJ and now the car is absolutely brilliant in all respect. A big thank you to Albert and the others who suggested this!

Any polarized sunglasses should work, but these Ironman ones are what I used today: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

What I can't guarantee is that you will look as cool as me when wearing them

Good luck

Old 08-15-2015, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info Jim. I'm going with the polarized sunglasses solution as per my last post, but I appreciate your reply. Cheers

Old 08-16-2015, 08:29 PM

Not only is there a chance will not look as cool, but some of us already wear glasses and would not see to well without prescription glasses. Guess I will just have to settle for the dash mat. Then my car is not black on black. :-)

Old 08-17-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,131 Likes on 1,305 Posts

My car also has the caramel leather dash, and the reflection in the windscreen is indeed a problem in the summer; my solution was easy and effective: I purchased (on eBay) a black mat(velour finish) cut specifically for the XK dash. It fits well and blocks any reflection 100%. The added benefit is that it serves to protect the leather from damaging UV - but this does not obviate the need for occasional conditioning of the leather. The cover goes on and off in seconds and it stays put without any tape (although that is provided).

Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Not only is there a chance will not look as cool, but some of us already wear glasses and would not see to well without prescription glasses. Guess I will just have to settle for the dash mat. Then my car is not black on black. :-)

Truth be told, I don't actually look cool in the sunglasses, but it beats seeing the windshield glare all the time!

Old 09-11-2016, 09:05 AM

Would this help, I have the same problem and may go for it.
http://www.covercraft.com/us/en/dash-covers

Last edited by Abatic; 09-11-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Forgot to add link
Old 09-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Maybe growing up in Florida where dash reflective glare has been a part of my life since I was a toddler I find this entire subject remedial? This is like saying I just discovered door handles, just an obvious part of the car!

I don't even notice the glare to be honest and I would certainly never put a mat on my dash. Or use seat covers. Or get plastic mats to put on my factory floor mats. These cars have a beautiful leather dash, an expensive option in most cars that people pine over, and the thought is to obscure it so it can't be seen for preservation and/or elimination of glare.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:29 AM

I fully understand your view but it's not leather, if it were suede then the problem wouldn't be there !

Old 09-12-2016, 09:39 AM

Yes this is the company I purchased my cover from. I also had XKR embroidered on it. I live in the central valley of California where the temperature exceeds 100 degrees many days of the summer and the sun is harsh. Using a dash mat is very common on leather to stop it from burning and turning brown. It also works great for cutting down on reflection. The other individual who thought protecting the dash and floor mats must not drive much. Have you ever seen how black your shoes soles get after walking on a dirty greasy parking lot. I found another good reason for a dash mat in my XKR. It is easy to attach my dove grey beach towel (with Velcro) to the dash mat. That way I cover all the wood, protecting it when the top is down and the car is parked in the hot sun. There are some of us that prefer to try and keep it in original condition, not repair it back to original. Just my opinion.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:25 AM

I don't think the other comment was from a guy who understood the point! And yes there is a pride in looking after a nice object, whatever it is. But it's the glare that is my moan.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

There are some of us that prefer to try and keep it in original condition, not repair it back to original. Just my opinion.
I get what you are saying, using a sun shield when parked and having tinted windows helps. I have mats on the floor from the factory for protecting the carpet. I reference folks who buy a mat to protect the factory mat. I see no need to get another mat to protect the mat that protects the floor.

You can buy seat covers to preserve the seat, but for that you might as well just change to cloth seats. If I cover all the nice stuff then I might as well not have nice stuff. I keep my car in top shape and take great care of it but in the end it is a consumable item for me.

You are pushing to keep the dash in original condition yet you can't see it, so why is my point? For future resale? If it is just for you then you could maybe have an issue with heat affecting your dash leather, if it does then the cover and you never see it.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i've got charcoal interior....and i have horrible dash glare.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:33 AM

That's the issue hear, it's not about putting mat's on mat's...Which is daft to do. The point is just the glare and the dash would be much better covered in "Black Suede"