XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK 5.0 Convertible - Is there a removable hardtop available?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XK 5.0 Convertible - Is there a removable hardtop available?

Hi all

Having done the usual extensive Google searches I can find no sign of a removable hardtop for an XK (2009) - only or XK8s. It seems a bit of an omission. Does anyone know if there is one available and, if so, who can supply it?

Thanks

Last edited by GGG; 02-02-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by paulsdunford
Hi all

Having done the usual extensive Google searches I can find no sign of a removable hardtop for an XK (2009) - only or XK8s. It seems a bit of an omission. Does anyone know if there is one available and, if so, who can supply it?

Thanks
The factory never built one or offered one . As for aftermarket I have not seen any during my searches. I was also looking to see if there was ever a tonneau cover made that covered the rear and the passenger seat .

Old 01-31-2018, 10:28 AM

Quite an omission isn't it! I've seen a cover that just goes over the soft top for overnight protection. I may have to resort to that to hold the dreaded winter green off the hood next winter. Pricey though, at over £200.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,134 Likes on 3,380 Posts

If you want a removeable hardtop and cost is no object, I'm sure a custom coachbuilder can fabricate it. Here's a custom, one-off split window removeable hardtop for a 1963 Corvette convertible that replicates the roofline of the iconic coupe.

For details, see

Old 01-31-2018, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Yep I remember seeing that episode some time ago and thought it was a pretty good idea. Back in my youth I bought a 63 convert and should have got the split window instead. But that's life. I bet someone could do a removable hard top but it would be expensive . Then the question of style would come up as a coupe would be a problem with the trunk but a top similar to the convert might work.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

I think part of the reason for the lack of a hard top, is the insulated convertible roof in the XK is significantly stronger and more comfortable than past convertible tops.

It is also a low production car, which would drive the cost up dramatically for an OEM to offer it.

It would really be interesting if you could make a body style that has the rear quarter windows rolled down permanently when in use, this would give you the notch back muscle car style roof line.

Attached Thumbnails XK 5.0 Convertible - Is there a removable hardtop available?-yellow-black-3.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

You can drive with the top up and all 4 windows down by using the overhead switch for the soft top. See this thread for how to do it: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...le-top-114189/

For ultimate flexibility, you'll want to buy Steve's remote control convertible top kit (WhiteXKR - The Jag Wrangler) and optional rear window controller. With his device, you can drive with the top up and all 4 windows up or down, or just the rears down and the fronts up, or vice-versa,, whatever you like. Outstanding product, highly recommended by many Forum members.

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-01-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Revised
Old 02-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
With Steve's remote control convertible top kit (WhiteXKR - The Jag Wrangler) and optional rear window controller you can drive with the top up and all 4 windows down, if you like. Outstanding product, highly recommended by msny Forum members.
I can do that now. What I can't do is put the rear windows up when the top is down.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I can do that now. What I can't do is put the rear windows up when the top is down.
That’s why you Steve’s controller. Best damn thing I’ve added to the car!

Old 02-02-2018, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I realized that right after I posted my initial draft, which is what you quoted while I was in the process of editing it. The final version appears above and addresses your well-taken point. I'm posting this so readers will know why there's a difference between what you quoted and my post #7, above.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I realized that right after I posted my initial draft, which is what you quoted while I was in the process of editing it. The final version appears above and addresses your well-taken point. I'm posting this so readers will know why there's a difference between what you quoted and my post #7, above.
Stuart I agree the top mod done by Steve is a great idea. I am not ready for it yet as I don't have a problem with holding the switch. I do like the ALL windows up feature though. I remember once as I was walking from my Lexus to the golf pro shop for some reason the key fob in my pocket was being pressed. When you hold the OPEN button for more then 5 or so seconds the car windows and sun roof start to open. After playing our round of golf I found every window half open. Being at a golf club nothing happened but if I were at the mall , well. So if you can turn off the remote feature and just do a 1 touch to put the top up or down I can live with that. That would have been the right way from the factory. Also I assume if you have a marginal battery this would be a killer. But all this being said I might buy this mod at some time in the future.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

jagtoes, Steve's device, together with a rear windblocker, makes the cabin so much calmer and enjoyable with the top down and all 4 windows up when you're going over 50 mph. It really makes a difference minimizing wind turbulence and improving the driving experience. For me, that's the best reason to do it.

Stuart

P.S. I was one of Steve's first customers in 2014, and my comments about my DIY installation are in post #153 in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-109235/page8/

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-02-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Quite an omission isn't it! I've seen a cover that just goes over the soft top for overnight protection. I may have to resort to that to hold the dreaded winter green off the hood next winter. Pricey though, at over £200.
I have a removable cover for my convertible soft top, cost around what you mention so probably the same.
Found it very useful this winter at keeping the soft top dry and stopped the windows icing up.

Works very well and quick to fit or remove.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 AM

Thanks for that PsiFox. I think it is the route I'll go. DO you remember where you bought it, and what the price was?

Cheers

Old 02-03-2018, 07:18 AM

I'm going for the roof conversion too - mainly for the facility to close the rear windows as mentioned a couple of posts ago.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Thanks for that PsiFox. I think it is the route I'll go. DO you remember where you bought it, and what the price was?

Cheers
I bought it from here same price it is now

Jaguar XK/XKR Car Hood Soft Top Cover Half Cover Protection 2007-2014 | eBay

There is a standard version but I went for the premium.

I also have the remote roof opener. Please note there are 2versions one is for roof only the second allows independent raising of rear windows.
I have the full fst option it’s very useful.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I have been using a half cover for over 4 years now.Originally to keep the cats off the roof but the bonus is it keeps the roof dry ,so no green stuff.
I have just replaced it with same one for around £60.

They last around 4 years as all car covers do.

I got it from Hamilton Classics. If you call them they mostly will offer a 10% discount that will cover the postage cost.
They are 3 layer and breathable so don’t mark the car.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:00 AM

Hi WooFie and PsiFox

Thanks for the info on these. As you've both used the covers for a while, how does the paintwork around the windscreen, tops of the doors etc do? Any abrasion or other damage? Wondering what those straps running down to the wheelarch do on the Hamilton version? Any rubbing?

Cheers

Paul

Old 04-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi WooFie and PsiFox

Thanks for the info on these. As you've both used the covers for a while, how does the paintwork around the windscreen, tops of the doors etc do? Any abrasion or other damage? Wondering what those straps running down to the wheelarch do on the Hamilton version? Any rubbing?

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul, I have no marks at all on the car and is used it every day for over 4 years.

I don’t always use the cover when the car is clean but I never let it get that dirty or gritty.
It does have a good cover of polish though.
If it is gale force winds then I tend to leave it off but that is rare.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:01 AM

Hi WooFie and PsiFox

Cheers

Paul
I bought the premium lined cover. No marks from use over last 12 months.

Car is ceramic coated though.

Quick Reply: XK 5.0 Convertible - Is there a removable hardtop available?