Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK Coupe trunk strut question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:21 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts
Default XK Coupe trunk strut question

Hey Jagsters,

Currently when I press the trunk release button on my key fob or on the dash, the trunk unlocks but does not lift up automatically. Is it possible to swap out the OEM struts for and put stronger ones where the trunk would lift all the way up on its own once you unlock it? It certainly would look cool.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,896 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Hmmm... That would make it harder to close too. If you didn't push it all the way down, and it popped back up while you're standing there, it doesn't look so cool.
Don't think the lock mechanism was designed for that continual tension either.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

And if you ever forgot to shut it all the way- a greater likelihood since it will be tougher to shut. It would open on its own, during rain, or while backing out of a garage.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I don't think it would work as well as you'd like. Look at the geometry of the hatch and strut and notice how the upper mounting points swing through an arc as the hatch lowers. Once the lid is almost all the way shut the shock is being forced closed vs. lifting the hatch. It's just a function of how it's designed. You can buy generic shocks with a higher NM strength and as long as it's closed length will fit when the hatch is closed it'll work. Some even have bleed screws so you can custom lower the pressure if the shock is too strong. We use them a lot in industry.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Something to keep in mind, is the force of stronger trunk struts can deform the sealing surfaces over time, creating new squeaks and rattles.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,896 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Alternatively, you could get a pair of the 'rocket launchers' used as 'roll over protection devices' in the convertible, and wire them up to trigger when the trunk is unlatched.

It's probably a one-time-use sort of thing, as your trunk will fly open (and maybe off), so make sure you get a good video of it to post on YouTube.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

The alternate is to engineer something akin to SUV hatches power open and close. I think MB has it on many models but it would be homemade. I have to believe it would be pricey but perhaps other car manufacturers make automated trunk open/ self closing for sedans that you could steal from.

FWIW, I replaced my rear struts with OEM recently and have to hold on the the spoiler when I lift. The trunk unlocks as normal but the slightest lift and she just flies up, to the point of making noise at the top stop. They are OEM per Don B, and I'm happy with them but until the old ones completely failed, I was able to hold the trunk at say halfway or three quarters and it would stay. No more. I must hold on to the spoiler. Closing is as easy as ever, so no impact in that regard.