XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK - Coupe vs. Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK - Coupe vs. Convertible

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've been reading the thread for a while and am impressed with the depth of knowledge and consideration of the forum participants.

I'm looking for a 12 or 13 XK (seems like the right combination of depreciation with the ability to rectify any deferred maintenance). My decision was based on the combination of luxury and sport in one package (the SL was a finalist). I like convertibles and would, all else being equal, prefer a convertible. However, living in Florida (Orlando), I realize use will be limited as it is too darn hot a good portion of the year and being top down in traffic is never fun!

The cost of the coupe and convertible seem to be very similar. As the coupe doesn't have a sun roof, the convertible seems to be the no-brainer selection. However, I have two concerns I was hoping members could comment on/address. The first is noise, I've driven a couple of convertibles and the car is louder than I'd expect (perhaps that is because I am driving an S-Class, which is exceptionally quite). How does interior noise at 45 MPH and 80 MPH compare in the convertible vs. the coupe? Also, roof life. I plan on keeping the car around 5 years; is it typical to replace the roof (or related hydraulics )- if so, what would the cost look like? Anything else I'm missing?

Any other comments would be appreciated. I do have a 91 Miata, so a coupe purchase will not leave me convertible-less

Thanks,

Tony

Old 08-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I am on my third vert. Had each of the first two for four years and never any problems with the top material or mechanism. As for road noise, I don't see that as much of an issue as I have made several road trips of 1k+ miles in each car and noise has never been an issue. I'm in Southern California and my top is down more than up. Whichever you choose you will really enjoy it.

The following users liked this post:
finance1 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 PM

Thanks! I love the S. Cal weather- unfortunately, we tend to be a little hotter and a lot more humid!

Old 08-01-2016, 11:30 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Convertible noise is a non issue. The higher end cars with the double liner insulate both noise an temperature... this is not your Miata or older VW

As for replacing them, my 2007 looks like brand new as did many here in S Cal that I looked at. Every year or so you should treat it with 303 treatment and it'll rework water, dirty, and stay in great shape.

The nights in Florida should make it nice as does the other 6 mos of the year to enjoy to down driving it comes down to what you like. Of course those who chose coupes will justify their scorpion as will convertible people

Old 08-02-2016, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

As Leeper said, "Convertible noise is a non-issue." ... with the top up.

Even with the top down, wind noise and buffeting at 70 mph is surprisingly low if you have a wind deflector and White XKR's remote control top kit with the optional rear window controls that allows you to raise all 4 windows with the top down. From the factory, the rear windows can't be raised with the top down but Steve (White XKR) and his magical kit enables you to raise them.

Will your XK be garaged?

Another thing you'll need in Florida is a reflective sun screen to place inside the windshield when you're parked outside, to protect the leather dash from drying out and shrinking.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:10 AM

Good comments! I'll take a look at the sunscreen. My old Jag (98 XJ) and current MB haven't had any dash issues, are you suggesting the sunscreen as common sense or because the XK is prone to drying/shrinking?

I do plan on garaging the car.

The couple of convertible XK's I've driven (one a disaster 11 with 91K on the clock- drove 3 hours to see it and a '13 at a local Jag dealer) were both louder than expected- hence my original question about coupe vs. convertible.

I live in Orlando (actually, North away from the tourists), can anyone recommend a good Jag mechanic? Unfortunately my very good MB guy doesn't appear to be well versed in cars made on the island.

Last edited by finance1; 08-02-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I am surprised at your comment on the car being loud. I have a 2012 XKR with the active exhaust and I find it to be the best combination for his/her driving. With the top up and cruising at 70-80 mph I was surprised at how quiet it was inside the cabin. The inner liner muffles the exhaust and wind noise. Also with the top down and the windscreen it is a very comfortable cruiser. Even when I drive alone and hit the dyn. button the exhaust is louder but not obnoxious. To me it's the best of both worlds.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:10 AM

jagtoes- Thanks for your comment. I have heard similar- is it possible the examples I drove had some sort of sound proofing issue- or is comparing it to an S-Class the wrong comparison (for quiet)?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by finance1
jagtoes- Thanks for your comment. I have heard similar- is it possible the examples I drove had some sort of sound proofing issue- or is comparing it to an S-Class the wrong comparison (for quiet)?
You may have had cars with aftermarket exhausts which seems to be the trend for some buyers. Also could be because of the mileage on the car. I would also consider the tires as I had a 60 mph drone with the OEM Dunlops but when I changed to Conti's that all went away. My bride also commented how quiet it was inside during one of our 4 hour long weekend trips and she also enjoys driving it.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I am a convertible fan myself...but after test driving both the coupe and convertible...I bought the coupe. For me it's the most beautiful modern car ever made with an exceptional ride, fit and finish. I suggest you give both a try before you make a decision.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

I have an XK coupe and my wife a XK8 convert. When I drive her convert. it is mechanically quite BUT the noise with the top down from trucks is simply awful !
Just my opinion.................something to consider.

This Saturday is Seattle Jag Club annual Concourse.............

Cheers, Adrian

Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I have an X150 coupe and an X100 convertible, and even on my 160,000 mile X100 convertible that is 15 years old and not garaged, the top is in remarkably good condition and is probably quieter (with the top up) than my X150 coupe. So I'm not sure what the problem was with your test drive cars. The SL is a hardtop convertible, so you'd expect there to be some extra insulation. I live in the San Fernando Valley part of L.A. so we have 100F weather most of the summer and much warmer temperatures year round than the rest of the city. My concern with coupe vs. convertible would be related to trunk space. The convertible's trunk room is more limited and won't hold 2 golf bags, which for me is a problem. (My X100, where the top stores out of the trunk, can hold 4 bags and all of the groceries, the trunk is so cavernous.) Either choice, you'll have a great car.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Keep in mind the trunk space on the convertible is really tight.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

My X150 convertible is the first convertible I've ever owned, and with the top up there is a bit more noise entering the cabin than from a traditional hard-topped car (I don't know about the sound in the X150 coupe, as I only drove one for a short distance, and it wasn't on the highway).
In my case I detect most of the sound entry is from the right C-pillar region, as there is not as much sound insolation there, due to the folding mechanics in there.
That being said, it is not noisy, just not quiet as quiet as a tradition hard-top.

With the top down, which is how mine is driven 90% of the time (even highway cruising at 85+), with the windows up (as said before with Steve's controller, all 4 are up) and the wind deflector deployed, my wife finds it just fine (if I'm cruising alone, the windows are down, but the deflector stays up, and I did manage to have a cross wind knock my hat off once, but the down draft caught it and planted it securely behind the wind deflector!). Yes, those truck tires are a bit loud as you pass them, but you soon leave 'em in your wake.

And you can't beat the sound of your own exhaust note, as heard with your top down, love it so much I never turn on the entertainment system.

Edit: Oh, and for the trunk space, yes it is small, but I can put 2 airline carry-ons back there and some small stuff. Anything else my wife needs goes in the back seat, which can hold a lot.

Last edited by kj07xk; 08-02-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

My X150 convertible is the first vert I've owned in many years. I particularly like that the top is hidden under a hard tonneau when folded down. It is slightly more noisy that a hard top and certainly more noisy than a "Vanden Plas" or an "S Class" but with the way the top is made, it is quite acceptable for me and all I have to do is turn up the radio if I find it exceptional. The exhaust is only heard on acceleration. When cruising it is undetectable. I have Continental DWS tires and for boots that wide they are amazingly quiet. I live in the Houston area and our summers are like yours, hot and humid. For that reason, the top is up other than at night (late night) from July to September. The trunk is very small and for that reason, I cannot get my Tour Bag in it. I have a smaller bag and it fits fine with the woods out and laying next to it. Test drive both the vert and the coupe and make your choice, you will not be disappointed either way. My wife and I have made several week trips in the car and have been very comfortable. The trunk is large enough for most of our needs and the back is worthless for anything except luggage if we need more space.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 PM

I guess another test drive is in order. I'm anxious to find a car, but know that waiting for the fall and change in model years will bring a reduction in price.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Every day you wait brings a lower price, it is just a fact of life for cars in this class.

I find my convertible to be pretty quiet, but an acceptable decibel level is very subjective. I guess folks didn't read your post very closely, you are currently in an S-Class which is a tank and as you say may not be a good comparison. My buddies CL55-AMG is along the same lines, a very solid car that doesn't pick up any outside noise. My comparison rides are not a match to your situation, a '14 Chevy Malibu company car, my CBR1000RR motorcycle, and a '00 Wrangler. When I go from those "not as stellar as an S-Class" vehicles to the Jag I think it is pretty quiet.

I am in the same boat here in Tampa and definitely don't keep the top down year round. I am born and raised in Florida so the heat is no problem, I just don't feel like being drenched in sweat every time I get in to go somewhere during the day. I used to poke fun at people when I was in high school (taking grocery bags out to the cars), they would have nice convertibles but never have the top down. At that time I would have never had the top up and busted on my regulars for not dropping the top.

finance1 (08-06-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the coupe for one reason, I already have a convertible for the second reason, I love the look of the coupe over the drop top
Just something about that roofline and quarter window that I couldn't live without

Old 08-05-2016, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
I have an X150 coupe and an X100 convertible, and even on my 160,000 mile X100 convertible that is 15 years old and not garaged, the top is in remarkably good condition and is probably quieter (with the top up) than my X150 coupe. So I'm not sure what the problem was with your test drive cars. The SL is a hardtop convertible, so you'd expect there to be some extra insulation. I live in the San Fernando Valley part of L.A. so we have 100F weather most of the summer and much warmer temperatures year round than the rest of the city. My concern with coupe vs. convertible would be related to trunk space. The convertible's trunk room is more limited and won't hold 2 golf bags, which for me is a problem. (My X100, where the top stores out of the trunk, can hold 4 bags and all of the groceries, the trunk is so cavernous.) Either choice, you'll have a great car.
You just need to get the right size golf bag.

Attached Thumbnails XK - Coupe vs. Convertible-20160428_140423.jpg  
sharx8 (08-14-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Me, I like the lines of the convertible much better than the coupe, top up AND top down. The funny greenhouse glass and long roof line to the boot make it look like a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda to me. One of the ugliest cars ever built.

Quick Reply: XK - Coupe vs. Convertible