XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK starting and other electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:42 PM
HSC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK starting and other electrical problems?

2007 low mileage convert with several intermittent electrical problems; failure to start after automated hand car wash, Bluetooth / phone chronic issues - other entertainment system failures...otherwise great car.

Dealer svc manager states that the XKs should not use the automated car wash facilities due to the requirement of being placed in Neutral gear select to allow for wheel towing thru the car wash - claims it triggers a "thieft response" causing the car not to start...this sounds nuts to me - I see many XKs going thru car washes successfully...

Any comments / ideas appreciated!

THX,
Steve

Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak for the car wash thing but it does sound like a load of hooey. If the car is in neutral how does it know that it's being pushed by the wheel's or just rolling down hill. Sounds more like something is getting sprayed and having an intermittant short. I'm too paranoid about scuffing my wheels so I won't go through a car wash.
What kind of Bluetooth issues are you having? I've had my share but have rectified the problem with some software upgrades.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Most bluetooth issues are due to incompatibility of the phone being used. I can tell you that just because it is on the Jaguar "list" does not mean it will be totally fault free. SW level comes into play. There are no SW upgrades within the car that will help. Think about it: they validated phones in 2007....most of those phones are WAY outdated by now.

What is your starting issue, exactly?

Old 01-12-2010, 09:54 PM
HSC

This car has twice recently failed to start after going thru an automated car wash. vehicle in neutral. Dealer claims having the car in neutral being drug along by the car wash puller wheel triggers a auto thieft mode and disables the starting function. This recently purchased 2007 XK is owned by a friend - I have a 2001 XKR that has been very reliable. She is at a 50% failure rate. When she originally took delivery of the car, next day awoke to a dead battery. Maybe something abou her bedroom being directly over the cgarage bay where the XK is parked & rge key being in contact w/ the system...that seems sorted out.

She has a samsung phone that was on the approved list (I'm mindful of your comment) - the bluetooth communication worked fine for several weeks then abruptly stopped synching. Been back to the Santa Monica, CA dealer several times - each time, re-paired, works one time & then non-functional there after.

Any suggestions gratefull accepted.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

does the pairing of the BT fail ONLY after a restart, or does it say lose the pairing say after the radio is shut off and turned back on, but the engine is still running. My first inclination is a weak battery on a start, clearing the BT pairing, perhaps related to the starting problem also. Even if there's a brief interuption of power, perhaps a batt cable, maybe a fuse, any brief power loss could cause all of the issues your describing, I think.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:31 AM
HSC

Good input - I'll determine the failure mode more precisely & see if the battery power network is at fault - makes sense.

Thanks