Default XK vs A5 3.2

Compare and contrast?

Attached Thumbnails XK vs A5 3.2-220.jpg  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos236
Compare and contrast?
Not sure your question especially while posting a pic of a 220!

sigh, OK I'll bite, but let me put my flame suit on first....

The A5 is a good looking car that will win in almost all most "functional" categories.

Plus for the A5:
A usable back seat that folds down
Proper Nav and working electronics.
Available in a Manual or Automatic with paddles (not sure if it is the DSG (dual clutch) which would outperform ours, but the base TipTronic really stinks compared to the XK.
A reasonably nice interior (heard it has gone down in quality the last few years, I need to go look myself someday).
Superior adaptive head-lighting. (may be unfair today as I am referring to my '05 Audi vs my '07 XK)
A HUGE aftermarket following (although the 3.2 is quite limited...Consider the 2.0 for any performance whims, and the 3.2 for bone stock reliability. Suspension mods galore from mild to wild. S5/RS5 would be the best for all out raw power.).
AWD
Larger and more youthful audience. (IE driving events and track days enough to keep your adrenalin levels up all summer.) Keep in mind the Audi folks are still an upscale crowd that clearly holds themselves a level above the "backwards ball cap" VW gang.

Plus for the XK:
Exterior styling
Seriously more power.
Better Automatic (over Audi's tiptronic, and more reliable than Audi's DSG)
Better interior materials
Exclusivity
More mature audience

Stuff in the middle:
You didn't mention years, so I assume current.
I will not comment on the reliability of Jags 5.0 as it is still a "new" motor when compared to the 3.2. Jags 4.2 is superior to the 3.2 in nearly all categories.

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 02-20-2013 at 10:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Exterior styling
Seriously more power.
Better Automatic (over Audi's tiptronic, and more reliable than Audi's DSG)
Better interior materials
Exclusivity
More mature audience

Well put Vince!

I'm sure it cool if you like that kinda car.
BUT
For me, there are few things more enjoyble than driving my Jaguar.

Chaos236 (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Audi S5 would be a much more fair comparison.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Let's compare apples with apples. If you're looking in the price range of a A5 3.2 then you're comparing with a XK 4.2, not a XK with the 5L. The 3.2 engine from Audi is really not that great. Not extremely reliable or fun (kinda buzzy and low power at higher RPM). If you're going for an A5, go for the 2L turbo. It makes the car much lighter and can be boosted beyond belief (APR sells a S3 turbo upgrade for less then 3K and you end up with a car with 320hp to the wheels!!!)... Both the XK and A5 look great but the XK is in a class by itself for quality of materials used and driving appeal. The only thing the A5 has going for it is the manual gearbox and AWD (which make it a better all year vehicule if you live in snowy areas like me). To me, these are two VERY different vehicules that are NOT in the same category at all...

Chaos236 (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

There are a few A5's at work. One of Audi's better looking designs, but still a yawner. Audi has horrible reliability as a whole; only a car to lease and drop before warranty expires. Unless in a cool color, it does nothing to distinguish itself. AWD is a big plus depending where you live. Real back seat...

XK is a different animal IMO and not a good compare. A5 is more utlilitarian compared to XK. That can be good or bad for either car.

Chaos236 (02-21-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

I own a 3.2 A5 and I'm thinking to go to the XKR.

Everything said above is true. Plus one HUGE difference: the noise. The 3.2 in the A5 is amazingly silent. So silent that in low RPM you could almost think you drive an electric car. It's very surprising for a "sport" car. So if you are looking for a quite powerful car but extremly silent, this might be a good option. This silence is very pleasant when listenning to the radio, but I find it a bit frustrating. And I've had many fines because I was driving (5-10km/h faster than I thought, because when you accelerate slightly you don't hear it).

Another advantage of this engine is a far lower consumption (9l/100km on motorway, 11l on average). Plus more space on back seats and a slightly bigger trunk. Appart from that the XKR is far, far above. Nothing in common.

Note that the 3.2l is silent only when put in the A5. In the A3 and TT, I've been told that it was loud.

Hope this will help.

PS: I LOOOOOVE the sound of the XKR.

Last edited by pierbout; 03-05-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

An S5 blew by me today and I didn't even hear it. You wouldn't even know it was an S5 without looking at the badge, either.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
An S5 blew by me today and I didn't even hear it. You wouldn't even know it was an S5 without looking at the badge, either.
Why did you let that S5 blow by you! Audis should only pass/beat Jags in dirt road Rally car racing that the Quattro system was designed for. Don't you know XKR stands for eXtreme King of the Road!

Of course I'm just kidding, one rainy night a Blue WRX flew by me and no way was I going to even pretend I had the grip (or the nerve) to catch him.

My wife has the 2.0T Q5 and that also is really quiet. I looked at aftermarket exhausts and the clips I heard didn't even get them to how are XKRs sound stock. Jag really hit it out of the park with the music we enjoy from the four rear trumpets.

One thing I do like on the Q5 2.0T is the sound the turbo dump gate lets out... and the quiet exhaust lets you hear it. I can't hear the supercharger whine anymore one the XKR after installing the hi flow Milltek cats, kinda miss it but love the extra growl.

Last edited by Mike V; 03-05-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
Why did you let him blow by you! Audis should only pass/beat Jags in dirt road Rally car racing that the Quattro system was designed for. Don't you know XKR stands for eXtreme King of the Road!

Of course I'm just kidding, one rainy night a Blue WRX flew by me and no way was I going to even pretend I had the grip (or the nerve) to catch him.

My wife has the 2.0T Q5 and that also is really quiet. I looked at aftermarket exhausts and the clips I heard didn't even get them to how are XKRs sound stock. Jag really hit it out of the park with the music we enjoy from the four rear trumpets.

One thing I do like on the Q5 2.0T is the sound the turbo dump gate lets out... and the quiet exhaust lets you hear it. I can't hear the supercharger whine anymore one the XKR after installing the hi flow Milltek cats, kinda miss it but love the extra growl.
Haha, I know, I'm terrible!

My excuse was I was on an on ramp behind a bus and I had to get off at the next exit, which was just a half mile away and I didn't feel like revving the engine too hard since it was still cold! That, and I'm on summer tires in near freezing temps and the traction control probably would've put a damper on things!

Not much of an excuse, I know.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts

When Audi A5 owners pull up to a red light, they may, on rare occasion, hear the guy next to them say, "That's a nice car." When Jaguar XK owners pull up to a red light, the guy next to them always says, "Holy sh*t, you lucky bast*rd. That's the most beautiful car I've ever seen!"

Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I guess I get to be the outcast, because in reality, I like the Audi brand. I still attend many Audi events, and consider myself privileged to drive along side some very fine and affluent folks.

Audi is making great strides in catering to a niche market of skilled drivers, with very capable cars that certainly rate well above average.
Driving schools(winter and summer), driving events, track days, and various tours are all common summer vocabulary supported by Audi of North America. All focused on getting you out and enjoying your car and the road...
What does Jag promote? .....errrr....Judging events....(wow really?).....

Does Audi have Jags visual appeal? No, not in the same league (well except for the R8, which most would agree is still a damn good looking car...). Driveability on the other hand is equal, versatility is better, and Audi's ongoing battle with BMW is giving them a reason to continue improving the product line year after year.

If I had to compare how my Audi dealership has treated me against how Jaguar has treated me, Audi wins hands down there too. May be one reason Jag is struggling, while VAG is rapidly grabbing market shares.

I think Audi is making moves in all the right directions... I only wish Jag would wake up and get our platform up to modern standards so I didn't have to look at a car half its price, wishing I had half the Audi's features.

Vince

(excuse me.... I need to run put my Nomex suit on now...)

Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

As a former audi driver I just had to respond..

I drove the A3 convertible last year and I have to admit.. although the engine was the smallest possible (1.2L) with only 105Bhp (how do they do that btw..?) the luxurious style of the S-line was amazing.. everything was on the car, everything worked for me, the navigation was simply superb and the Bose Audio was even better..

So when I got to where I live now, I wanted the same car.. but guess what.. Audi delivers the A3 only in Europe.. not the middle-east, so I took a look at the A5 convertible.. Its a nice car, but as with any Audi/BMW, the roads are full with it.. they do look nice, but they also look like any other car out there.. they do not really stand out.. they are fast, luxurious and comfortable and so far I did not see any of them fail because of engine problems..

I would say, the Audi is a safe bet, that you will not regret.. you will love the drive and the luxury in the car..

The Jaguar is a more outstanding car, the lines the design and the design
Interior wise, I was a bit disappointed.. the navigation is not quite as good, the integration with iphone or other USB devices is simply below standards.. if you think Audi can handle a 250Gb USB drive and has an intuitive navigation for it.. it beats almost anything on the market.. The Jag however makes up for it with the tailpipes.. the sound is remarkable when revving..

So to conclude: Audi is the safe bet.. Jaguar will be pure emotion..

Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

The only Audi I have ever driven was a test-drive in an A4 Quattro back in the late 90s. It was such a stylish little car and I really wanted to like it. But it felt like a tin can. I bought a Ford Contour instead. Now I know it's pointless to judge any car on what an entirely different model was like 20 years ago. But it's the same reason I more recently rejected the G37 and the 370Z. They felt like little, thin-door'ed cars. The jag has big, heavy doors. Like a real car should. And that's my entire unsophisticated and ignorant opinion. I'm sorry I had to subject you all to it.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Default Rwd

amcdonal86: Cold engine and summer tires in freezing temps plus our tail happy Jags are a totally acceptable reasons for me, and I would have acted the same. But once the weather warms up don't let it happen again

Snide72: Absolutely true!

CleverName: I agree, I like Audis and in the last 20 years I'd say is the one brand that has made the biggest strides. Great improvment in quality, driveablity, reliability, looks and even started the LED trend seen across all brands now. A lot of that though is thanks to the huge VW market and all the benefits of two marquees sharing tech and development. I beleive the A5/S5 category is basically based on the Passat platform. Jag doesn't have nearly the development budget or capabilty having only LR as it's sister.

My dealer experience has been the opposite, Jag covered my steering pump failure under warranty no questions asked and without hesitation. On the other hand Audi tried to squirm out of covering the dreaded 2.0T oil loss issue and we had to go through headquarters to get the engine valves (root of the problem) replaced under warranty by the dealer.

IMHO the biggest thing Audi lacks in the sports coupe segment against Jag, BMW and Mercedes is there is no RWD option.

What Jag lacks in tech (NAV, Ipod, USB) they make up for in FUN, FUN, FUN! (or RWD, sound and looks).

Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 AM
Default One last note

Honestly I do like Audi and am very happy with the Q5 but one last gripe: Every single little luxury or bit of tech from Audi is an additional cost option!

OUCH!