XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK vs XKR ride comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XK vs XKR ride comparison

Only for those who have experienced driving both an XK and XKR from the exact same model year....

Did you notice any difference in the FEEL of the ride? (Not power)

We're shopping at the moment and were able to A/B however the XK had new tires - so we're wondering if that could be the difference - but test driving the two, we found the ride of the XK to be much more appealing to our tastes than the XKR - still nice but much firmer and more nervous... and also a bit louder and clearly more power. It was a noticeably different feel. A feel for us that says we would prefer the XK over the XKR - (so focus less on XKRs). In one line - XK = more comfort/luxurious - vs - XKR = more sports car.

Our sampling was only 2 cars - so the wild card is that either one could have been an anomaly. Or maybe it was all tires talking. Until we drive many more we won't know - but has anyone else noticed this? Agree? Or disagree? We just want to make sure we are on the right track...

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,414 Posts

As you can see by my signature, I owned two 2008s, an XK convertible and XKR coupe. The dampers are different in each car, with the XK softer for a more luxury touring ride and the XKR firmer for a sportier GT. So your observations are correct and I do thing for your application, the XK is the best choice.

That said however, what if the perfect car and deal is an XKR? I still would not rule it out as an option.

The following users liked this post:
koko (05-28-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,306 Posts

You are on the right track. The XK has far more than sufficient power (enough to get you into trouble very quickly), and a more compliant ride, slightly better fuel economy (not a major factor, granted) and to some eyes (mine, for example) a better integrated front- end view. There is nothing at all wrong with the supercharged version, but what it offers extra to the naturally aspirated version is definitely not automatically better.
And yes, I have compared them directly.

koko (05-28-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
As you can see by my signature, I owned two 2008s, an XK convertible and XKR coupe. The dampers are different in each car, with the XK softer for a more luxury touring ride and the XKR firmer for a sportier GT. So your observations are correct and I do thing for your application, the XK is the best choice.

That said however, what if the perfect car and deal is an XKR? I still would not rule it out as an option.
Jahummer I thought the xk & xkr shared the same CATS suspension and only the xkr150 differed from them with the stiffer springs and slightly lower ride height

Old 05-28-2016, 12:40 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Jahummer I thought the xk & xkr shared the same CATS suspension and only the xkr150 differed from them with the stiffer springs and slightly lower ride height
For the 4.2L X150's there are three different springs and four different shocks.

Springs;
4.2L XK
4.2L XKR
4.2L XKR-S

Shocks;
4.2L XK no CATS
4.2L XK with CATS
4.2L XKR (CATS)
4.2L XKR-S (CATS)

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
guy (08-12-2019), koko (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind is the wheel size. A 20" wheel (typical on the XKR) will have a slightly harsher ride than a 19" wheel (typical on the XK), or heaven forbid, an 18" one.

When I first considered buying a Jag, the first one I test drove was an '07 XKR convertible (with 20" Senta's). I don't recall how the ride felt, because my brain was overcome by the big grin I had on my face the entire time (60 mile highway drive).
I did test drive an '07 XK coupe before purchasing my '07 XK convertible (sight unseen, with 19" Carellia's, but I do like the look of the Senta's better), just to make sure I was going to be satisfied with the exhaust sound (active vs passive).
In the end, the acceleration of the XK doesn't give me as big of grin as the XKR did, and I swapped the exhaust back box to one from an XKR, to get a louder note.
After reading the comments about ride firmness, I think the XK was the right choice, and I too like the front end of my XK better than that of the XKR of the same year (just not a fan of that lower grill), which has kept me from pulling the trigger on upgrading to an XKR.

Last edited by kj07xk; 05-28-2016 at 01:03 AM.
koko (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
For the 4.2L X150's there are three different springs and four different shocks.

Springs;
4.2L XK
4.2L XKR
4.2L XKR-S

Shocks;
4.2L XK no CATS
4.2L XK with CATS
4.2L XKR (CATS)
4.2L XKR-S (CATS)
A complete encyclopaedia of jag knowledge right there

thanks Cambo

Old 05-28-2016, 01:50 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
A complete encyclopaedia of jag knowledge right there

thanks Cambo
Not really, I just looked in the parts catalogue.

You're welcome!

Old 05-28-2016, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by koko
Only for those who have experienced driving both an XK and XKR from the exact same model year....

Did you notice any difference in the FEEL of the ride? (Not power)

We're shopping at the moment and were able to A/B however the XK had new tires - so we're wondering if that could be the difference - but test driving the two, we found the ride of the XK to be much more appealing to our tastes than the XKR - still nice but much firmer and more nervous... and also a bit louder and clearly more power. It was a noticeably different feel. A feel for us that says we would prefer the XK over the XKR - (so focus less on XKRs). In one line - XK = more comfort/luxurious - vs - XKR = more sports car.

Our sampling was only 2 cars - so the wild card is that either one could have been an anomaly. Or maybe it was all tires talking. Until we drive many more we won't know - but has anyone else noticed this? Agree? Or disagree? We just want to make sure we are on the right track...

Thanks in advance for feedback!
Koko did the xk you test drive have the CATS suspension fitted or just the normal suspension ? I'm betting it just had the normal suspension.

I know with my xk it has the CATS and Is quiet focused and relatively firm definitely not sloppy at all

Old 05-28-2016, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Another thing to keep in mind is the wheel size. A 20" wheel (typical on the XKR) will have a slightly harsher ride than a 19" wheel (typical on the XK), or heaven forbid, an 18" one.

When I first considered buying a Jag, the first one I test drove was an '07 XKR convertible (with 20" Senta's). I don't recall how the ride felt, because my brain was overcome by the big grin I had on my face the entire time (60 mile highway drive).
I did test drive an '07 XK coupe before purchasing my '07 XK convertible (sight unseen, with 19" Carellia's, but I do like the look of the Senta's better), just to make sure I was going to be satisfied with the exhaust sound (active vs passive).
In the end, the acceleration of the XK doesn't give me as big of grin as the XKR did, and I swapped the exhaust back box to one from an XKR, to get a louder note.
After reading the comments about ride firmness, I think the XK was the right choice, and I too like the front end of my XK better than that of the XKR of the same year (just not a fan of that lower grill), which has kept me from pulling the trigger on upgrading to an XKR.
Kj go the 100cel cats upgrade it will really unleash the AJ34 I picked up decent power and a very sporty exhaust note to say the least !

kj07xk (06-03-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 05:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, once again I'm impressed at the helpfulness and knowledge in this forum!

By no means would we discount a stellar XKR - but this does confirm our ride preference, and reverses our thought that somehow the XKR would automatically just be a "better" choice. It actually is a better car on the performance side, but less so on the luxury touring side. Two sides of a coin. We do prefer the sportier appearance of the XKR to be sure.

Being in a hot sunny place, the very last thing we want is a car with black seats - but if we find the right car we could overlook those as well - that's just how flexible we are! :-)

As far as having the CATS suspension - no idea how one would determine this, but I might assume the XK we preferred didn't have it. Is there any kind of indication easily visible on the car - or an online resource to input a VIN and get a build sheet on these cars? (We were able to do this on our Chevy SSR convertible pickup)

Thanks!

Last edited by koko; 05-28-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Koko
Yes a vin number would bring up the details including the CATS suspension and as far as a visual inspection CATS would have the wiring harness going to the top of the strut within the engine bay

With the xkr vs xk debate if your happy with the XK's power output and find it satisfactory only then would you pull the trigger on it as trying to extract more power from a n/a can be difficult

Old 05-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Koko,

I am surprised how many folks get black interiors in Southern USA. Especially in a Jaguar.
I cannot think of one logical reason Perhaps there is one.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,153 Likes on 3,086 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Koko,

I am surprised how many folks get black interiors in Southern USA. Especially in a Jaguar.
I cannot think of one logical reason Perhaps there is one.
Cuz it looks bad-***.
Mine's usually in the garage, so it is out of the sun and heat 99.9% of the time anyway. That, and a lot of cream on the dash.

Two-saabs (02-24-2021)
Old 05-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,306 Posts

First, every XK supplied to Canada and the US had CATS suspension; second, as a point of interest, my 07 coupé came from the factor with 20 inch Sentas - and virtually every other option (I have the build information) but the first owner changed them to 19 inch Carelia wheels. There is only one reason to do this: to soften the ride. That speaks volumes, I think.

If you buy an XK or XKR - please get a CTEK battery maintainer and USE it when the car is not actually being driven. This way you will avoid electronic gremlins. These cars have a need for full battery voltage all the time. They are superb, reliable, comfortable, FAST and gorgeous machines, but they need good electrical food.

Attached Thumbnails XK vs XKR ride comparison-xk-september-2013-003-small-.jpg   XK vs XKR ride comparison-xk-september-2013-006-small-.jpg   XK vs XKR ride comparison-xk-october-2012-003-small-.jpg  
koko (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I am now driving my third XK/XKR vert. The first was a 2008 XK vert. Although an extremely nice Jag the change between it and my 2nd, a 2012 XK was amazing due to the change over from the 4.2L engine to 5L direct injected motor and to me anyway, tighter springing and control.

I now own a 2013 XKR, bought new 3 months ago (at a greatly discounted price to reflect depreciation - about 40% off list) it is faster, tauter and has a somewhat harsher ride. Note that it is on 20" wheels as the 12 was on 19" and I think the was on 19" also. If you can take both an XK and an XKR out on the twisties and put each car into dynamic mode one way and on the way back leave it in standard mode and see what you think.

To me, all in all, the XKR is particularly in the 2010+ MY is a better, more enjoyable vehicle. I don't know what your budget is but I pass on the above info anyway. Good hunting!! Oh, and be patient, stick to your guns and you will get what you want for around what you want to pay.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

My 08xk was awesome and I loved its power and comfort. I loved getting near 30mpg on the hwy in a 300hp v8! I love my 2012xkr more and the power and noise is worth the much lower fuel efficieny that i get now. As far as comfort goes they are both great. I would say the xkr feels stiffer AND my xkr has sport seats which hug you a bit better but aren't as comfy as the standard seats for longer drives. Also I wish I had in-seat cooling. I was sad to learn that's not an option on the sport seats.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Received 274 Likes on 188 Posts

Also the 2010+ XK is noticably stiffer than the original one, so if you are looking at the 5.0 litre one too, bear this in mind when you try them.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I ended up with a 2008 XKR on 20" Sentas. With the highways in the desert SW, there are days I pray for 18" wheels and some more sidewall. On 20s the XKR is not a relaxing GT for long distances. I've tried it several times to different places around the SW US and I've just about given up on taking the Jag.

There are parts on I-40 in AZ that look like somebody went by with a runway denial munition. In CA the Caltrans workers union wants you to know exactly how much work they didn't do when joining the slabs together on I-15. Don't get me started about I-10. There not only are the joints bad but all the slabs were cast concave. In view of the above, a lot of road trips are done in an 11 year old Xterra on 265/70 offroad tyres because it's less wearing. Slower for sure, but I arrive less fatigued as my mechanical sympathy gland hasn't spent several hours maxed out in the Jag.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is. I might be going for a Mercedes E-350 Luxury as I am finding I need four seats more often, too. Not everyone involved can clamber into the Xterra.

kj07xk (06-03-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

My first Jag was a 2011 XK convertible that I bought used two years ago. Got t-boned (Kid in a Ford Explorer, still a sore subject); totalled it. I always kicked myself for not getting an XKR, so when a 2010 showed up - with 8500 miles! - while I was shopping for a replacement about eight months ago, I jumped on it.
I love everything about the XKR - EXCEPT the ride. I always chalked it up to the 20" wheels, however. I will never buy a car with 20" wheels again.

Quick Reply: XK vs XKR ride comparison