XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR 175 and normal XKR advice nedeed

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default XKR 175 and normal XKR advice nedeed

Hi there,

I have been lurking on this forum for almost a year now, mostly in the 2010/2011 XJ section because I was a potential buyer. I already removed the XJ from my plans because it presents way too many problems. As a happy owner of a 2007 Lexus LS-460 I am spoiled in the sense of low cost of ownership and pretty much 100% worry-free experience. Everything works in this car, every time.

Now, I have been reading about the XKR and I even went to the dealership to take a look at the 175 they have there. My question to you later model XKR owner is this: Regardless of how you "feel" when you drive it, how it looks and what not, is this car really worth its price (175 or standard) and how many times did you have to pull your hair because something went wrong? Also, is this car offered with a manual 5 or 6 speed transmission at all, or auto only?

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You eliminated the XJ because you feel it has way too many problems yet you are looking to purchase an XK?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
You eliminated the XJ because you feel it has way too many problems yet you are looking to purchase an XK?
Yes, but I know nothing about the XK, that's why I'm asking. Is it even more problematic than the XJ? If so, I give up! LOL

Old 05-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

What specific problems about the 2010+ XJ are you referring to?

We've owned three XJ's over the years. Aside from the tensioner issue in the late 90's, are there lots of problems you have experienced? Ours have been reliable cars. It's hard to imagine the 2010+ XJ's suddenly went down in quality.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by rscultho
What specific problems about the 2010+ XJ are you referring to?

We've owned three XJ's over the years. Aside from the tensioner issue in the late 90's, are there lots of problems you have experienced? Ours have been reliable cars. It's hard to imagine the 2010+ XJ's suddenly went down in quality.
Well, just read the '10 XJ section in this forum and you'll get your answers. (Nav system nightmares, cracks, sunroof pops, etc). Anyways, so far nobody answered my questions. Anyone? I like the XKR looks but that alone won't make me buy one, that's why I asked the questions on my original post above.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
Hi there,

I have been lurking on this forum for almost a year now, mostly in the 2010/2011 XJ section because I was a potential buyer. I already removed the XJ from my plans because it presents way too many problems. As a happy owner of a 2007 Lexus LS-460 I am spoiled in the sense of low cost of ownership and pretty much 100% worry-free experience. Everything works in this car, every time.

Now, I have been reading about the XKR and I even went to the dealership to take a look at the 175 they have there. My question to you later model XKR owner is this: Regardless of how you "feel" when you drive it, how it looks and what not, is this car really worth its price (175 or standard) and how many times did you have to pull your hair because something went wrong? Also, is this car offered with a manual 5 or 6 speed transmission at all, or auto only?

Thanks.

I, too, own a 2007 LS460 that I bought new and now has only 23K miles, but I disagree about it being worry-free. My car was a late production 2007 model and the following repairs were done under warranty pursuant to Technical Service Bulletins: (1) dash squeak - replaced windshield spacers with larger ones; (2) excessive wind noise -replaced single-laminated Driver's and Front Passenger's door glass with double-laminated glass (as in 2008+). Safety Recalls: (1) defective fuel line replaced - potential fire hazard; (2) defective engine valves (32) replaced. Yes, it is comfortable, reliable, and a pleasure to drive but these problems never should have happened. And the OEM Bridgestone EL42 tires - POS - lasted under 15K miles. Car now rides/handles much better with Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus - should have been the OEM tire. So, although I enjoy my LS460 - quiet, comfortable, great stereo (Mark Levinson), it isn't quite the same experience as driving my 2009 XKR Portfolio Convertible - which is LOTS MORE FUN TO DRIVE! In response to your questions about the XKR:
1. Is it worth the price? Absolutely, since I bought mine used and saved over $40K from list. Jags depreciate like rocks, so let the first owner take the big depreciation hit and buy a 2-year old XKR with at least 12 months of factory warranty remaining so you have recourse if something goes wrong. 2. Is it offered with a manual or automatic only? 6-speed automatic only, with normal and sport (higher shift points) modes and paddle shifters that work very well. Pros/cons: Pros: drop-dead gorgeous inside and out - lots of compliments; very smooth transmission; very responsive engine (mine has 420HP and the supercharger brings on the torque at very low rpms - 2010 and up have 510HP); very responsive steering and turn-in; comfortable ride notwithstanding 20" wheels; powerful brakes (Alcon 6-piston); superb Bowers & Wilkins stereo with iPod connectivity. Cons: no spare tire with optional Alcon brakes; some owners don't like the touchscreen, but I like the clean interior styling without buttons everywhere. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. While I prefer the style of the coupe, I live in a sunny climate and you can't beat driving with the top down. You only live once; get the XKR - you won't regret it (unless you must have a manual transmission, in which case get the Aston Martin V8 Vantage, which was also designed by Ian Callum). Be sure to drive both coupe and convertible, and make sure you get the options you want. I looked for over 6 months before I found the car I wanted.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my '08 has been bullet proof from day one..... and as Stuart S said ..... just a bit more fun to drive!!!!!!!

go for it!

Old 05-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Stuart S,

Thanks for the great reply! On the LS460 I had the fuel rail recall done, it was a no brainer. As for wind noise I didn't have this problem, my front windows are double laminated and the car is tomb-quiet. No dash noises either.

Anyways, good to know about the XKR ownership experience. I think this car looks cool, I like its stance. Can you tell me about regular maintenance costs? I've read on another thread some scary costs, and no one mentioned if insurance is high too. Not that it really matters but it's always good to know. I've been saving for a while and my plan is to not have car payments. I don't right now and I like it that way! But at the same time, that's a decent chunk of money to drop on a car, that's why I'm trying to collect opinions. My plan is to keep the car for a long time.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got one of the first 175s in the country (delivered last August). So far, I'm thrilled with it; it has met or surpassed all my expectations. Reliability has been excellent and I don't regret my purchase one bit. It was the cheapest car on my final shopping list, so to me it was certainly "worth it."

Gas mileage is much better than I imagine and my insurance is WAY less than I expected. It is the same as my granny-esque CLK350 Cabrio and cheaper than my Cayenne GTS.

Can't address maintenance costs yet, since it's free for 50,000 miles.

It's not a car for the antisocial...strangers ask me questions about it almost every day. The other day I caught other people in a parking lot posing next to it and taking pictures. Most people don't have a clue about the car, which can be fun.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Stuart S,

Thanks for the great reply! On the LS460 I had the fuel rail recall done, it was a no brainer. As for wind noise I didn't have this problem, my front windows are double laminated and the car is tomb-quiet. No dash noises either.

Anyways, good to know about the XKR ownership experience. I think this car looks cool, I like its stance. Can you tell me about regular maintenance costs? I've read on another thread some scary costs, and no one mentioned if insurance is high too. Not that it really matters but it's always good to know. I've been saving for a while and my plan is to not have car payments. I don't right now and I like it that way! But at the same time, that's a decent chunk of money to drop on a car, that's why I'm trying to collect opinions. My plan is to keep the car for a long time.
I've had my 2009 XKR Portfolio Cvt since October 2010 and spend $0 so far on maintenance. It was delivered with fresh oil and new filter, and I plan to change the oil/filter at the dealer every 5K miles. At 30K miles I'll replace the front/rear(?) brake pads and turn the Alcon rotors, which will cost around $400. I plan to keep this car a long time and will do the maintenance by the book. My insurance is reasonable (since I have a clean driving record, will drive it under 5K miles/year, have 2 other family cars on my policy, a stellar credit score, and have been a long-term customer).

I've had only three minor problems, fixed or to be fixed under warranty, as follows:

1) Passenger window would go down immediately after closing. Fix was to reset the window switch by putting the window down from the driver's side, holding the switch down for 10 seconds, then putting it back up (by tapping the switch as it approached the top) and holding the switch up for 10 seconds, and then repeating the procedure. Explained by the service writer, no need for service, no big deal. It has happened a couple of times since (I have no idea why - maybe ghost of Lucas Electric?) and was able to quickly reset the switch.

2) Car wouldn't start; brake pedal felt high and very hard. Cause: brake pedal not making contact with starter interlock switch (according to service writer, I probably inadvertently pumped the brake pedal before pressing the start button). Solution was to stand on the brake pedal and force it to make contact with the starter interlock switch while pressing the start button. What I learned from that experience was to press the start button before putting my foot on the brake. Explained by the service writer, no need for service, no big deal. Hasn't happened again, since I began pushing the start button before stepping on the brake.

2) glovebox lid doesn't drop down slowly; the retaining cable will be repaired under warranty when I bring it in for brakes.

Overall, after 7 months, I'm very pleased with my XKR and highly recommend it. Jaguar quality/reliability improved tremendously while owned by Ford. With almost 30K miles, there are no squeaks, rattles, or cowl shake, the driver's seat is very comfortable, the ride is not harsh at all considering the 20" wheels and performance suspension, the engine is very responsive and sounds best under full throttle, the shift paddles work well, the steering is tight with quick turn-in, fit and finish are first rate (as expected in this class), and it is drop-dead gorgeous, both inside and out - beauty and the beast in a single rolling sculpture. Only 1 negative: no spare wheel/tire with the Alcon brake option. Would I buy it again? Absolutely.

What should you look for in an XKR? You should research the exterior colors, interior colors (2-tone, or solid color), options (wheels, adaptive cruise, Alcon brakes, etc. - depends on model year) on Edmunds.com or KBB.com and decide what is important to you, and then search cars.com or other sites to find the car you want. Good hunting!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Well, just read the '10 XJ section in this forum and you'll get your answers. (Nav system nightmares, cracks, sunroof pops, etc). Anyways, so far nobody answered my questions. Anyone? I like the XKR looks but that alone won't make me buy one, that's why I asked the questions on my original post above.
This is my 6th Jag. I've had it since April 8th. I've replaced the battery, and they replaced the drivers door module under warranty.

I've had no other problems. Similar to others, I too have people walk up to me and talk to me about the car. This car feels tight and sound when you drive it, very responsive, and I thiink Jag has been conservative with respect to the listed power of the car.

In my opinion, Jag has improved the quality of the XK's quite a bit with this generation of XK's.

EDIT - THIS WAS IN REFERENCE TO THE 2007 XKR I HAD AT THE TIME...

Is it worth it? It is to me.

Last edited by rscultho; 10-29-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Columbus took a chance.

1. There's a *** for every seat.
2. One man's meat is another poison.
3. No two cars are alike. Like twins may look alike,but different personality.
4. Customers favorite saying. " well my other car doesn't do that"!
5. I like my XKR. IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD WHEN I DRIVE IT.
6.If or when it breaks, consider it as love spat or growing pains.

Attached Thumbnails XKR 175 and normal XKR advice nedeed-picture-056.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XKR choice

I have owned my 2001 Jaguar XK8 for 10 years , has it been a "perfect" car?
NO, will I ever purchase another Jaguar ? I did!
The 2010 Jaguar XKR!
If you are leaning towards the Jaguar brand, its time to get onboard.
You will have no regrets!!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Yes, I agree. Now is the best time in 50 years to get on board with the Jaguar brand!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

8+ months of ownership- great car, no issues. What other cars are you looking at?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had my 11' XKR for about 6 months now. It is a great car and truly one of the best kept secrets at $100k or below. Power everywhere, an elegant, simple yet very aggressive stance that is timeless. As the others have stated, I either get approached daily or notice people staring at the car or me trying to see who is driving it. The interior is beautiful with cross stitched dash, alcantara headliner perforated cooling/heating seats etc. Wife loves being in it.

Regarding issues: I now have 11k miles and have had no mechanical issues. There was a rattle in the dash cluster which they replaced and is now tight. Excessive wind noise on the drivers side which they replaced weather strip and is about right now for a pillar-less coupe. Otherwise, no issues. I will say that if you want a really involving driving experience go for 911, Gallardo, Ferrari etc. Which should be obvious since XK is a GT not a full on sportscar. I find myself craving more involvement and would sell for this reason alone. Also, if you're buying as part of a hobby this forum is no where near as active as the aforementioned car forums and others.

In terms of depreciation the XK seems to have the strongest resale value. Note that 5 year old 07's can still go for 50-60% of original value.