XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR a Difficult Roomate to Pair

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default XKR a Difficult Roomate to Pair

Ok, so when I bought my 11 XKR we were on an excursion living in Austin for a couple of years and living in a 2 bed 2 car apartment. So there was my car and my wife's.

Now that we're settled in what I hope to be our final house for a very long time and have 3 car garage I am now considering my complimentary car to my toy. This is where the XKR gets a bit challenging...

As a single car it is a great choice. It is luxurious and beastly all in one.

But if you are going to also have a 4 door what do you do? I like contrast because it makes you appreciate your toy that much more. For example I would do a Hyundai Equus for the boring refined luxo-barge and then have a 997 GT3, Exige, Viper etc. When you get out of the barge you absolutely love getting beat to crap in the toy. When you've been in the toy you marvel at how coddling, quiet, smooth the barge is.

But I'm not sure the XKR is sporty enough to compliment the barge... But if I get a sporty sedan like a RS4 which I'm considering I wonder if I'll end up enjoying driving the 6spd more than my supposed toy. The toy should be a stick and sedan an auto. Won't do an SUV as the wife has a Wrangler Unlimited.

So what sedan do you pair the XKR with to make you love both? Should I go

1) Equus and NSX (all for price of XKR)
2) XKR and old MB 500E (cheapest combo)
3) XKR and RS4 (most expensive combo)

Last edited by Evoking; 11-07-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Make the XKR the daily... An XKRS the toy and u paddles!!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Evoking,
I like the way you think. But I would (and have more times than I care to admit) go in the opposite direction. Buy an old, classic car that you always dreamed of owning when you were younger, a mid-sixties Corvette, or a late sixties GTO, or a 308 Ferrari...all of which are relatively inexpensive to buy in very good to excellent condition. They won't lose any value, they fulfill dreams, and after driving what feels like stone aged technology, your XKR will provide miles of smiles. What the hell do you need another 4 door for?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I've been having the same dilemma for months, and know exactly where you're coming from...right down to carefully researching 997 GT3 and new G5 Viper daily. The problem is that the XKR is so good at everything that I can't think of any combination of vehicles and toys where I wouldn't desperately miss the XKR.

That reality became crystal clear a few weeks ago when I did my last track event, about 7 hours from home. The car was so comfortable and such a pleasure to drive that distance, so capable and rewarding to track aggressively, so simple to "arrive and drive" at the track,, got more attention than likely any other car at the track...and at the end of the day I simply put my helmet in the trunk and changed shoes while most others spent an hour putting the car back together to drive home or load onto a trailer. 25 high performance cars (19 were 911C/GT3/GT3RS), and I bet I was the only one enjoying cooled seats! I couldn't have had more fun no matter how extreme a car I had taken, and likely would have had less.

I've driven and tracked cars for 37 years with a manual gearbox, yet have never missed it in the XKR. NSX buddy same thing in many cars and never missed it in his auto GT-R either. We both find our manuals in other toys feel so old now in comparison. We thought we'd desperately miss the stick in our new toys, but didn't. I'm starting to use my paddles now, he doesn't bother.

I packed for 3 days away, dropped off some landscape lighting fixtures and install tools at my track buddy's home on route to the track before continuing to a hotel by the track, did the track event next day, drove track buddy's wife home in the XKR after the event, stayed over night there and helped him do the lighting job the next day, then drove the remaining 5 hours home. Hardly needed to put anything in the back seat. Drove part of the trip with the top down.

My wife drives it the odd time to work. I've let both my son and daughter drive it on special occasions. It could be driven every day if we wanted to. It does everything well, and has enough room to use for all our fun stuff. Can't do that with most other alternatives, and in no where near the comfort in any of the alternatives. I could enjoy an F-type 100% if they added a small back seat for stuff I now put in my XKR trunk, or maybe 50% the way it is And everything else that appeals to me shares that same drawback. I've concluded that if I fall in love with something else I'll still need to keep the XKR...and then what's the point of an expensive new toy...and when would I drive it after the novelty starts to wear off a bit?

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 11-06-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:18 PM

I hear you Bruce. But I don't think I'll ever stop enjoying a well executed stick. Short precise throws, great clutch feel, responsive throttle and chassis.

Tberg, I agree with the idea of an old school toy when is where I was going with NSX, was also looking at Esprit V8. The problem is that as you mentioned I would have 2 coupes. But I could do the 328, 348, 355, Esprit, Stingray etc with the Sedan - which brings me back to the issue at hand... where does that leave the XKR?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
Ok, so when I bought my 11 XKR we were on an excursion living in Austin for a couple of years and living in a 2 bed 2 car apartment. So there was my car and my wife's.

Now that we're settled in what I hope to be our final house for a very long time and have 3 car garage I am now considering my complimentary car to my toy. This is where the XKR gets a bit challenging...

As a single car it is a great choice. It is luxurious and beastly all in one.

But if you are going to also have a 4 door what do you do? I like contrast because it makes you appreciate your toy that much more. For example I would do a Hyundai Equus for the boring refined luxo-barge and then have a 997 GT3, Exige, Viper etc. When you get out of the barge you absolutely love getting beat to crap in the toy. When you've been in the toy you marvel at how coddling, quiet, smooth the barge is.

But I'm not sure the XKR is beastly enough to compliment the barge... But if I get a sporty sedan like a RS4 which I'm considering I wonder if I'll end up enjoying driving the 6spd more than my supposed toy. The toy should be a stick and sedan an auto. Won't do an SUV as the wife has a Wrangler Unlimited.

So what sedan do you pair the XKR with to make you love both? Should I go

1) Equus and NSX (all for price of XKR)
3) XKR and RS4 (most expensive combo)
Evoking:

I totally understand what you are seeking and looking for.

While I have the 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition convert, I also have a 2014 Porsche Cayman 981. I love the XKR convertible and love the Cayman 981 coupe.

But I have to face reality, they are not cars for going out to dinner with another couple. Before I bought the XKR and Cayman 981, I bought a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 T (Turbo) Limited. I have owned the car for about 18 to 19 months and have about 5000 miles on it. I love the ride, the comfort and the power. It's great for a party of 4 for a night or lunch out with friends when I am driving.

Since I live in the desert of New Mexico I need to have a vehicle for hauling stuff around and also needed a vehicle to transport my F1000 Formula race car so I have a 2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew. My wife drives a 2012 Hyundai Tucson SUV, which is perfect size for her.

While some my find this crazy to have these 5 vehicles, they each serve a distinct purpose. Of course I have facilities to house the 5 vehicles.

While some might think the cost to insure these are quite high, I get a major discount for the 5 vehicles because of the low mileage that each car/truck is driven.

I really like having the option available of what to drive. This morning I had a breakfest appointment with a friend, so I took the Porsche, this afternoon I needed to go the local steel yard to pick up some steel materials for a project, I drove the truck.

I looked at the Hyundai Equus when buying the 2013 Sonata 2.0 T Limited but decided to go with the Hyundai Sonata 2.0 T Limited vs the Equus due to price. $29,000 vs $62,000.

I see your dilemma, and presently owning two Hyundai's I would highly suggest either a Sonata 2.0 T Limited or the Equus. Either way, sounds like a 4 door sedan is what you are looking for. Allot depends how deep your pockets are, but I am sure that you will find owning a vehicle that suits a specific need when the situation arises is a very nice thing to have.

With a Hyundai Equus you will get special treatment from your Hyundai dealer, and the warranty can't be beat. I would highly recommend the Equus or the Sonata 2.0 T Limited as you get great power, performance and luxury in either car.

Last edited by richzak; 11-07-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm with you, tberg. A little project car on the side is my next goal when I have the time (a few years?). I've been looking at Karmann Ghias or maybe a Volvo P1800. An old, well loved Ferrari or 50s-60s Vette would be fun, too, but maybe too much at stake for a first restoration. A little old, a little new...

Old 11-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I hear you Bruce. But I don't think I'll ever stop enjoying a well executed stick. Short precise throws, great clutch feel, responsive throttle and chassis.

Tberg, I agree with the idea of an old school toy when is where I was going with NSX, was also looking at Esprit V8. The problem is that as you mentioned I would have 2 coupes. But I could do the 328, 348, 355, Esprit, Stingray etc with the Sedan - which brings me back to the issue at hand... where does that leave the XKR?
Evoking
I wanted to give you some feedback on the 97 Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbo I had just before my XK. In short I didn't like it! Ergonomics were terrible and the seats were the worst. Long shift throws and even tho it had twin turbos, it wasn't that fast.
I'm very impressed with the XK I have and only regret I have is I should of bought a XKR for the supercharger. The XK is ample fast and I've never driven the supercharged version yet, but it's gotta make a fantastic car better with 100 more horse power!
I would love to have a race prepared totally flared and winged NSX for the street.
Regarding the Ferraris. I've had a Lamborghini Jalpa, 2 308's and two Testarossa's. You will be always thinking the Cam belts need to be changed. Not fun.. Testarossa distributer caps are $800 a piece and you need two!! Terrible electrics.
I would consider a 355 with F1 transmission (paddles) as long as the manifolds have been replaced already. Weak point. They have a great sound. Just be ready to get to know your Ferrari Mechanic real good.
That's what I love about the Jag. Been rock solid reliable!
How about a old school MGB or TR6 if you want to shift something. Won't cost much so you can keep the Jag.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

For a stable mate... please don't laugh until you've driven one that is properly sorted but check the likes of an older Miata, BMW E30 or 1998-2002 BMW M roadster or coupe. All much more of a raw driving experience and some of the best drivers cars ever. Each is horrid for comfort and you won't want to take any on a road trip but as a weekend track weapon you'd really be hard pressed to find a better car for the money than what I listed. Maybe not the fastest but if you want something fun to drive then you can't beat them. I know not everyone wants to learn how to drive but just a thought for those itching to test out track days.

Also, I know many driving cars like Jags do not turn wrenches but all 3 of these cars are very simply to play mechanic on.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I am facing somewhat of a similar decision right now. I do own a custom beast of a sports car that is nearly unbeatable in performance but, has its drawbacks with the stiff ride and exhaust sounds. That is why I selected the 2012 XJL as my daily driver for my long distance trips.

That, however, has not worked out well. I have had serious ride issues with the XJL and, as a matter of fact, it is at the dealer again, the 4th time with the same ride issues. If they can not correct it, I will consider initiating a Jaguar buyback or simply dump the car. It seems, that a significant percentage of XJL's are effected by this issue, if not all.

Interestingly, the alternative I considered was exactly the "boring", Equus. It could be the car for my driving routine which is nearly all freeway driving, long distances. One poster above suggested the Hyudai Sonata; he is also correct. When the dealer loaned me a Sonata I returned it at the end of the day with the comment that I wished that my XJL would ride anywhere close to as smoothly as the Sonata. The dealer thought that I was joking...NOT!

Needless to say that if you have the means, the Equus is far more luxurious than the Sonata so, it may come down to the environment that you are seeking. I am starting to look more towards the Equus and I would not blame you or anyone for the same.

Albert

Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My opinion is buy another car with duality. I sell Subaru's and have fallen in love with the STi. The car is a brute. Manual short throw shifter. 306 horses that actually feel like some other car with 400hp. Easily modded to produce more power without spending a lot but so much fun as is. Super reliable and one of the best suspensions I have ever felt. AND it can be daily driven easily.

Another car I sell is also an example of duality. The Lexus GS350. When you want to cruise it feels luxurious. But when you are ready to have fun it comes alive. Blessed with a marvelous suspension and modern technology, it is a great car.

There are other dual purpose cars I'd consider as well. The Benz C-AMG. The BMW M3. These are more raw but can be daily drivers. But of all the cars I've driven, that STi amazes me. Just drive one. Check it out. You will be smitten.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

It's nice to have a SUV as a 2nd car. It's great to have the extra room for kids, hauling things, going to mountains, etc. We just picked up another GL 350 bluetec diesel (SUV of the year). It looks nice, rides great, and gets 26mpg highway. The other car I looked at was the Audi q7 TDI.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Out of your choices, I like:

I would stay all British though, "Think Yiddish and drive British" as the saying goes. How about a 90's Bentley like a Brooklands or Super?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

IMO, keep the XKR. And consider that you have TWO garage slots to fill over the next few years: the sedan, and the sportscar.

You already own a fine GT car; by definition, it's the best of both worlds. Why not figure out which true sportscar really trips your trigger? Everything from 'Vette to Miata, maybe the new FR-S/BR-Z, Viper, Z-car, classic British MG/TR, etc, etc. Select one that's attainable, and write it down on one side of the page.

And consider your favorite sedan: something from ze Germans? What about domestic muscle (300C/Charger SRT8s)? Lexus uber-quality? Hyundai styling and value proposition? Same thing: choose one and write it down on the other side of the page.

Now the critical part: which side of the paper wins, head-to-head? Is it rowing your own gears in a purpose-built driver's car? Or enjoying a bit more space, functionality, and comfort in a fine cruiser? Pick one and fill that garage spot with a car that you truly lust after. And in a few years, revisit the other side of the page and fill that last space in the garage.

Rich

Old 11-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rw99
Why not figure out which true sportscar really trips your trigger? Everything from 'Vette to Miata, maybe the new FR-S/BR-Z, Viper, Z-car, classic British MG/TR, etc, etc. Select one that's attainable, and write it down on one side of the page.

Rich
Or... get the Miata and put a vette motor in it!
1991 LS1 Powered Miata - v8 Miata Forum - Home of the v8 Miata Conversion

Or and RB25!
Mazda MX 5 Miata Monster | eBay

Old 11-07-2013, 06:47 PM

You guys are crazy. Great suggestions. R-Rated, believe it or not o have already owned both Z3 Coupe AND Roadster. Also Z4 M Coupe. Ice, I hear you on Sti. I also had an Evo 8. Awesome car. Incredible steering and pull.

Bentley is interesting. Have always loved them for the immense quality and pressence. Kinda like I love the timeless quality of 500e but Bentley is a yacht. Course everyone will assume I've become the ultimate smnob with a Jag and a Bentley.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

You guys are crazy. Great suggestions. R-Rated, believe it or not o have already owned both Z3 Coupe AND Roadster. Also Z4 M Coupe. Ice, I hear you on Sti. I also had an Evo 8. Awesome car. Incredible steering and pull.

Bentley is interesting. Have always loved them for the immense quality and pressence. Kinda like I love the timeless quality of 500e but Bentley is a yacht. Course everyone will assume I've become the ultimate smnob with a Jag and a Bentley.
If your going for the Bentley, take a look at the Bentley Continental GT. They are great looking since 2006 and up. They do offer a 4 door sedan. Owning a Jaguar and a Bently Continental GT certainly places you in the "elite status" category. But hey, why not.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 AM

has anyone said Lotus Elise? You won't think of the Jag as a sports car after one of those... you can get some pretty great deals an most have low miles - or owners with a lot of back problems haha.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I too am in the market for a 4 door sedan, and I'm leaning towards the Audi A7, S7, or god forbid, RS7.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Tesla.

Quick Reply: XKR a Difficult Roomate to Pair