XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is this the xkr that Jaguar should have made

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Ted - I think it may be the shape and size of the rear bumper that creates the look of the wider stance.

The following users liked this post:
steve_k_xk (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Hey Ralph,
You might be right, but the track of the rear wheels seems considerably wider than the fronts and fills out the wheel well more than the fronts seem to.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:45 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Dave at Grantley Design promptly got back to me today. He will do a front bumper design only provided we have sufficient demand. He has reservations of how it will look with the XK's "droopy" headlights. I can see his point. He's done a fantastic job with his design. However, cost, as always, is a concern. He mentioned that shipping will also be expensive and maybe a drop ship of 10 units, to be distributed, would be most cost effective.

Can someone photo shop an F-type or Grantley XK front bumper on the XK 09-11 and 12-15 so we can all get a good idea what it would look like with the stock headlights? Grantley Design is for real and have their design including car for sale on ebay: JAGUAR XKR. SUPER CAR STYLING BY GRANTLEY DESIGN, Supercharged V8, 420 BHP | eBay
Thanks for coordinating this DGL. I'm in.

Mike

steve_k_xk (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 08:18 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I have been corresponding with Dave at Grantley Design. He is definitely interested in designing a bolt on solution to upgrade our aging XKs. There are a number of design and logistic problems to be solved. In my opinion he has done a fantastic job with his current complete front end change design. I suggested he join the forum directly to continue the discussion and design of a bolt on solution. I'm remotely located in Canada and can not, effectively, serve as a redistribution member of a group buy for the forum. Shipping 5 to 10 bumpers would reduce the cost of the bumpers to a more acceptable amount.

I mentioned to Dave that most members would be looking for a bolt on simple design so they could easily switch back to the factory bumper if desired. Some of the problems discussed are:

1) material (fiberglass or polyurethane). Although poly would be more expensive it would make a better shipping material.
2)pedestrian cross bar wire would need to be disable. I don't think our Canada/US models have the pedestrian airbags under the hood?
3) shipping will be expensive.
4) the "droopy" headlights of the 09-11 and 12-15 may not look right with the new bumper. We need a rendering or photo shopped image. IMO I think it will look good but not as good as Dave's original design with new hood, fenders and headlights.
5) air intakes would need to be extended. Not a big deal.
6) the bumper will not be produced until his XK fitted with his current complete design is sold.
7) the cross bar would need to be removed. What does this involve and can it easily be replaced.
8) a FOB price north of $1,500 should be expected. A bumper price of $1,500-$1,800 is reasonable. IMO polyurethane is the only way to go.

I suggested an optional bolt-on larger splitter be made available for those looking for a more aggressive look. This would also serve as an additional revenue stream and increase the cost.

I'm certainly interested in this modification, especially a bolt on and off design. A little more work is required to get this off the ground.

The following 4 users liked this post by DGL:
MikeRamm (08-02-2015), ralphwg (07-08-2015), steve_k_xk (07-08-2015), tberg (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised at the love for this to be honest, I think it looks crap.

But, we all have different tastes, each to their own and all that.

I think the MY12 XK facelift is just about perfect and still a beautiful design. Even the pre-face lifts are a lovely looking car. This just looks cheap in my eyes, like a blown up, bulbous F-Type, it just doesn't look right.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I've always said the front of the Xk needed a front update to look more like the F-Type. Maybe someday someone will come up with an update.
That's funny. I've always said the front of the F-Type needed an update to look more like the XK.

Last edited by JustNiz; 07-08-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
That's funny. I've always said the front of the F-Type needed an update to look more like the XK.
Im confused you say the f-type needs to be updated to more of a xk look ? the f-type looks so modern in comparison to the ageing xk thats just my opinion

Old 07-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I have been corresponding with Dave at Grantley Design. He is definitely interested in designing a bolt on solution to upgrade our aging XKs. There are a number of design and logistic problems to be solved. In my opinion he has done a fantastic job with his current complete front end change design. I suggested he join the forum directly to continue the discussion and design of a bolt on solution. I'm remotely located in Canada and can not, effectively, serve as a redistribution member of a group buy for the forum. Shipping 5 to 10 bumpers would reduce the cost of the bumpers to a more acceptable amount.

I mentioned to Dave that most members would be looking for a bolt on simple design so they could easily switch back to the factory bumper if desired. Some of the problems discussed are:

1) material (fiberglass or polyurethane). Although poly would be more expensive it would make a better shipping material.
2)pedestrian cross bar wire would need to be disable. I don't think our Canada/US models have the pedestrian airbags under the hood?
3) shipping will be expensive.
4) the "droopy" headlights of the 09-11 and 12-15 may not look right with the new bumper. We need a rendering or photo shopped image. IMO I think it will look good but not as good as Dave's original design with new hood, fenders and headlights.
5) air intakes would need to be extended. Not a big deal.
6) the bumper will not be produced until his XK fitted with his current complete design is sold.
7) the cross bar would need to be removed. What does this involve and can it easily be replaced.
8) a FOB price north of $1,500 should be expected. A bumper price of $1,500-$1,800 is reasonable. IMO polyurethane is the only way to go.

I suggested an optional bolt-on larger splitter be made available for those looking for a more aggressive look. This would also serve as an additional revenue stream and increase the cost.

I'm certainly interested in this modification, especially a bolt on and off design. A little more work is required to get this off the ground.
DGL your doing an amazing job . If anyone is interested please put your hand up so we can get some legitimate numbers available for Dave at Grantley and make this happen

Old 07-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Default Is this the xkr that Jaguar should have made

Hey guys is there any progress with the photoshopping of the f-type bumper onto the xk it would greatly be appreciated if we could see something . Thank you in advance

sherbercars (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Although I mentioned I had started to like the front with only a year of ownership I won't want replace my front unless it got damaged. Also there would most likely have to be 3 versions produced. 1 for 2007-2009 and 1 for 2010-2011 and then 2012-2015. This would drive cost for multiple molds . So this brings us to the question of what year does he make the first mold for. It sounds like the initial demand might be for 2007-2009. Lets see where it goes.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

$1500 seems very reasonable. I paid $1600 for the F/X Design rear "bolt on" bumper and it has since increased in price. I'd be a customer in that range. I've raised my hand!

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
DGL (07-09-2015), steve_k_xk (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Is the F-type trying to become more XK/XKR like? Look at this spy photo of a test mule of the upcoming SVR F type. Doesn't that front end remind you of something?

Attached Thumbnails Is this the xkr that Jaguar should have made-jaguar_f_type_svr-front-end.jpg  

Last edited by tberg; 07-09-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Im confused you say the f-type needs to be updated to more of a xk look ? the f-type looks so modern in comparison to the ageing xk thats just my opinion
Yes thats exactly what I'm saying. I don't think newer always equals better, or that older must mean worse. I think Jag lost their way with the F-Type styling, especially at the front.

If you look at the best Jaguars such as the E-type, they have actually quite simple but timelessly classic flowing lines with beautiful proportions. Same with Aston Martin actually. The XK shape continues that well, and the oval grille directly connects to Jaguars racing heritage. It looks classy and there's no mistaking that its a Jaguar.

Unfortunately after the XK, Jag switched to a "new" rectangular grill shape which is pretty much a direct rip-off of Audi. That's a large part of the reason the F-type front-end looks much too generic and bland and almost Japanese. Its styling has no timeless element. The bar across the grill and the 2 vents under each light make it look far too fussy/busy instead of simple. It won't ever be considered a design classic whereas the XK could easily be. The F-type hardly even looks like a Jag any more. If anything it looks to me a whole lot like an old Honda S2000. Look:
http://onlytruecars.com/data_images/...a-s2000-05.jpg
What they SHOULD have done is this:
http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/lyonheart-k-11.jpg

Last edited by JustNiz; 07-09-2015 at 10:35 AM.
NBCat (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 02:52 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Yes thats exactly what I'm saying. I don't think newer always equals better, or that older must mean worse. I think Jag lost their way with the F-Type styling, especially at the front.

If you look at the best Jaguars such as the E-type, they have actually quite simple but timelessly classic flowing lines with beautiful proportions. Same with Aston Martin actually. The XK shape continues that well, and the oval grille directly connects to Jaguars racing heritage. It looks classy and there's no mistaking that its a Jaguar.

Unfortunately after the XK, Jag switched to a "new" rectangular grill shape which is pretty much a direct rip-off of Audi. That's a large part of the reason the F-type front-end looks much too generic and bland and almost Japanese. Its styling has no timeless element. The bar across the grill and the 2 vents under each light make it look far too fussy/busy instead of simple. It won't ever be considered a design classic whereas the XK could easily be. The F-type hardly even looks like a Jag any more. If anything it looks to me a whole lot like an old Honda S2000. Look:
http://onlytruecars.com/data_images/...a-s2000-05.jpg
What they SHOULD have done is this:
http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/lyonheart-k-11.jpg

I disagree that a manufacture must always stay with the basic design. I'm all for evolution and innovation and have no loyalty to brand. I like my XK as is, but would like to give it a more modern look. Tata has made a significant investment in Jaguar and has changed the look. Although, I still see Jaguar in the new look. I disagree the F-type front looks like a Honda S2000. The Grantley Design bumper has no cross bar and I agree the cross bar looks hideous. If anything, I think the Grantley Design Bumper makes the XK look more upscale like a Maserati or Ferrari California. If the XK were not discontinued I think the Grantley Design front-end would be very close to what the new XK would look like.

I like the look of the gizmag.com version; however, it is not a step forward and is more of a retro look. The Grantley Design front-end is a step forward.

If Grantley Design develops a bolt-on bumper similar to their current design XK owners could have some fun switching their bumpers up to give their car a different look whenever they want. I'd like to see Grantley Design develop this bumper, and I think they will. I'd like to see them also design an optional aggressive front splitter for their bumper.

Are there any members on here good with photoshopping? It would be nice to see what the Grantley Design front bumper would look like with the stock headlights.

Last edited by DGL; 07-09-2015 at 06:01 PM.
steve_k_xk (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Styling is a very subjective subject as what may appear beautiful to one person is considered hideous to another. So it is with automotive design; so it is with women.

Perhaps the brand that has managed to keep a look that is easily recognisable, yet is evolving with time, is Aston Martin. One can see cues of the DB6 in the Vanquish making the car instantly known to even the less automotive savvy.

Regardless of the ownership of an automotive manufacturer, having and maintaining a brand image that is generally recognisable to the public is what makes the vehicles desirable. Jaguar have a long, proud history of providing vehicles that are true to the vision of Sir William Lyons: they are graceful, they are fast and they have sufficient room for driver and passenger comfort. The XK evokes the beautiful, and still highly desirable, E-Type making the link to the past.

So, I am going to make a subjective statement that is sure to anger many members. I feel the current styling direction taken by Jaguar is as bland as it is ugly, indeed even blurring the ability of many to recognise the vehicles as Jaguars. Lost is the 'grace' of the XKs of the 1950s, replaced by the Honda-esque F-Type that may have 'pace', but is devoid of 'space'.

I offer my apologies to any and all I offend with these remarks, but appearance is subjective...

DGL (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:10 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Is the F-type trying to become more XK/XKR like? Look at this spy photo of a test mule of the upcoming SVR F type. Doesn't that front end remind you of something?

It's the hideous crossbar that gives it this appearance. Without the crossbar it would look so much better, IMO.

It's good to hear all of the different opinions on the front-end look of the XK and the F-type. Beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. Some prefer a more retro look, some like it modern, some like it true to heritage, etc. If we all were to design, without limits, what we believed was the most beautiful GT performance car we would see a wide range of designs.

steve_k_xk (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

TO EACH IS OWN . I like the grantley design .but as a one off . I love the way they have blended the tops of the fender to the hood.
But not for my car . I still prefer the XKR-S look as others have remarked the XKs have retained the oval look front over the years of changes .
The grantley design looks like an over grown F type, I love the F type, but lets keep the two seperate .Inhp .
I have just found a XKR-S bumper and already have the top part of a 08 XK ,I am going to marry the two together to form a plug so I can make a mold that will fit the 2007/11 XK, without changing the headlights & front fenders. If it turns out good, then I will see if Chris . at Mina.
wants to produce it, this would be a winter project for me . Bernie

steve_k_xk (07-10-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
... I feel the current styling direction taken by Jaguar is as bland as it is ugly, indeed even blurring the ability of many to recognise the vehicles as Jaguars. Lost is the 'grace' of the XKs of the 1950s, replaced by the Honda-esque F-Type..
Exactly!!! Wow I'm glad someone else also sees it. I was beginning to think I must be going mad.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Any photoshopping experts out there that can help graft on a f~type bumper onto a xk would love to see how it looks

DGL (07-17-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any follow up to the discussion with Grantley about the group buy? I contacted them last week and they said they are not making the kit now. Mike.

Quick Reply: Is this the xkr that Jaguar should have made